Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are the Braziliam aquamarine V shaped hair ornaments that were given to The Queen in 1968 during her first State Visit there.
They have since been dismanted to put into the current aquamarine tiara.
Field page 21

The Kent Demi Parure was worn I believe when Her Majesty The Queen paid a State Visit to Portugal in 1984. The Queen actually favours the Queen Mother's Ruby Necklace, her own Ruby Swag necklace or the one she ordered to buy from the Baring Family.

The Baring ruby necklace was worn by The Queen on 8 November 2005 when she entertained The President of the People's Republic of China during the State Banquet. Perhaps you can look it up in the pictures. The necklace was sold at Sotheby's in April 1964 and was purchased on behalf of The Queen. It has a chatelaine centre.

I came across this picture of the Queen, I think it was taken in Canada and it looks like the 1970's. I don't recognise the tiara she is wearing, it looks like aquamarine but not the Brazilian one. Does anyone know anything about this tiara or have a better picture of it?

QueenCanadaAnnAquatiara.jpg picture by davidj_album - Photobucket
Isn't it lovely? It's a pity it was dismantled to create that hideous thing she now wears. This really was a most attractive piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Baring ruby necklace was worn by The Queen on 8 November 2005 when she entertained The President of the People's Republic of China during the State Banquet. Perhaps you can look it up in the pictures. The necklace was sold at Sotheby's in April 1964 and was purchased on behalf of The Queen. It has a chatelaine centre.

Actually, she did not wear rubies on that particular date--she wore the Girls of Great Britain tiara and a diamond necklace:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Isn't it lovely? It's a pity it was dismantled to create that hideous thing she now wears. This really was a most attractive piece.

I have to agree with you jcbcode, the original was lovely, the remodelled version, not so classic

I simply hate that aquamarine hair ornament: the aquamarine tiara might not be among the most stunning tiaras Her Majesty possesses but it looks much better than the hairpiece. It might have looked lovely on 16-22 years old debutante Princess, but it simply doesn’t work for an older lady, in my opinion.

Last edited:
The ruby necklace is gorgeous.I would love to see that with the central pendant only,though.It looks a bit heavy with 3 pendants.JMHO.So,how's the DoC connected with the ruby parure?Has she worn it recently?

No, The Duchess of Cornwall did not wear the ruby necklace we are currently talking about. jcbcode, excuse me, you are right, but The Queen wore it for a banquet in the past, but I think I put the wrong capture to my photograph.

I simply hate that aquamarine hair ornament: the aquamarine tiara might not be among the most stunning tiaras Her Majesty possesses but it looks much better than the hairpiece. It might have looked lovely on 16-22 years old debutante Princess, but it simply doesn’t work for an older lady, in my opinion.

Oh dear, I have to disagree. It was a lovely piece, very symmetrical and attractive--and not unlike Queen Emma's diamond tiara as worn by Queen Beatrix:
Queen Emma's Diamond Tiara

The brazillian topaz tiara, seen here:
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/EGallery/images/collection_large/200131.jpg
and here:
Queen elizabeth brazillian tiara image by RoyalJewels on Photobucket

is just odd looking. I don't like those fan things, that main stone rears up like a cyclops or something.
I love the brooch:

I love the earrings:
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

and there is no denying the settings for the necklace are beautiful:

But, I think she messed up creating that tiara. By the way, so did Princess Anne when she had the aquamarine tiara of QEQM's reworked as well.

No, The Duchess of Cornwall did not wear the ruby necklace we are currently talking about. jcbcode, excuse me, you are right, but The Queen wore it for a banquet in the past, but I think I put the wrong capture to my photograph.

Quite true, the only rubies the Duchess of Cornwall has are those Saudi things and I think they are over the top and need to be reworked.

QueenELizabeth, I know she wore that Baring necklace at a State Visit and I cannot figure out which one it was. But, for the French visit she did wear Queen Victoria's ruby necklace with her Burmese Ruby tiara:

Here is the ruby necklace I do not like at all:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=766409&postcount=72

Here is a pic of her when she was in Malta wearing the Oriental Circlet and the Baring Ruby Necklace, but I don't know from when. Is this the pic you are thinking of?
http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen/Bilder/oriental-circlet-tiara-Queen.jpg

She also wore it at the State Banquet in Slovenia in October 2008, with what appear to be Queen Mary's ruby earrings:

and for the return banquet she wore the Girls of Great Britain tiara with a necklace and earrings whose origins I am uncertain of:

Yes, that is the necklace I meant, the one she wore in Malta and in Slovenia: the Baring ruby necklace.

I think it is such a shame she keeps wearing those two nasty ruby necklaces, but never wears the George VI Victoria one... that is the loveliest of all, but it seems to stay in the closet.. sigh...

Thanks for providing so many wonderful pictures! :flowers:

Oh dear, I have to disagree. It was a lovely piece, very symmetrical and attractive--and not unlike Queen Emma's diamond tiara as worn by Queen Beatrix:
Queen Emma's Diamond Tiara

Queen Emma's tiara is beautiful, but I prefer it worn sans the stars: it reminds me of the Swedish Button tiara with the stars on, and there is hardly any piece of jewel I dislike more thant the 4 and 6 Button tiaras. It looks very lovely with Rubies too.

The brazillian topaz tiara, seen here:
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/EGallery/images/collection_large/200131.jpg
and here:

is just odd looking. I don't like those fan things, that main stone rears up like a cyclops or something.

I still love the tiara. :whistling:
When the entire parure is worn (as in this picture), it looks a bit less pretty because the necklace is almost as big as the tiara and the overall look is just too 'heavy'.

I love the brooch:

I love the earrings:

and there is no denying the settings for the necklace are beautiful:

I absolutely adore the earings.
The settings for the necklace are indeed beautiful but I do think it's a too big piece for a parure with such an impressive tiara, eye-catching earrings, brooch and a bracelet. If the necklace was a simple diamond one with perhaps one aquamarine, the overall look would have been better, in my opinion.
On the other hand, if a less ‘imposing’ tiara were created, it would simply be unnoticeable when worn with the magnificent necklace, earrings, bracelet and brooch.

But, I think she messed up creating that tiara. By the way, so did Princess Anne when she had the aquamarine tiara of QEQM's reworked as well.

No denying there, Queen Mother's aquamarine tiara looked better than the one Anne had created.

Last edited:
I wonder when we will see The Queen wearing Q. Alexandra's wedding gift necklace [page 129 Fields] ?
This necklace has been worn by The Queen Mother, and because of her death, is now available to The Queen. She has worn several of her mother's brooches, so it would be lovely to see this historic necklace.

Not my fav tiara but what is the necklace called that she is wearing?

I love rubies combined with diamonds, so this particular tiara & necklace look absolutely stunning, imo. I like the design of this tiara so much!

Queen Elizabeth had the tiara made in the 1970s; I don't care for the design at all.
IMHO it's totally unimaginative and bland, the execution of the flower wreath motif even coarse.
The contemporary necklace and matching earrings were first seen in the mid-1980s, probably a gift from a Middle Eastern ruler.

Close up:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1346/610x65.jpg

I am surprised she wore this--again. Didn't she recently wear it at another visit? Sigh.... but, while it's not my favorite tiara I do appreciate the craftsmanship behind it--although everthing descriptor used by Boris is correct. The necklace is my least, least, least favorite of HM's and, in my opinion, belongs on the worst royal jewels thread.

In November 1985 His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad Al-Thani of Qatar paid a four-day State Visit to the UK and he presented The Queen with this modern ruby necklace consisting of two elaborate swags joined in the centre by two large rubies.

I am surprised she wore this--again. Didn't she recently wear it at another visit? Sigh.... but, while it's not my favorite tiara I do appreciate the craftsmanship behind it--although everthing descriptor used by Boris is correct. The necklace is my least, least, least favorite of HM's and, in my opinion, belongs on the worst royal jewels thread.

Agree with everything. I was quite disappointed to see her with this tiara, for my taste it's an ugly design, everything on it is so chunky and over blown.

I too am no fan of either the ruby tiara or the swag necklace. That said, I do think that HM looked lovely and radiant last night, so much more than a sum of the parts!

OK! Call me tasteless, but I love this set. HM has taken to styling her gala wear in whites, creams, and golds. This parure both compliments her dress, and enhances the warmth in her skin and especially her face. It also looks drop-dead gorgeous with her beautifully coiffured snow white hair which unfortunately is not always the case with the Kokoshnik. :in_love:

Last, but definitely not least, it also enhances that blindingly glorious saucer-sized Brooch(anything that large and that fabulous deserves at least a capital B). :seestars:

Last edited:
I agree with you Marg, I really like the Burmese Ruby Tiara and the ruby swag necklace is beautiful. Her Majesty's gown for this State Dinner was also very beautiful and set off both the tiara and necklace.

In November 1985 His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad Al-Thani of Qatar paid a four-day State Visit to the UK and he presented The Queen with this modern ruby necklace consisting of two elaborate swags joined in the centre by two large rubies.

It's still ugly (at least to me). She has two other gorgeous necklaces--Queen Victoria's and the one she purchased at auction. Perhaps we see this necklace with this tiara so often because it's yellow gold and the rubies on the tiara are set in yellow gold--but, I have to say, of ALL the jewels at her disposal, why we see this piece so often is beyond me.

...and let's not forget the wonderful V-shaped Victorian ruby and diamond floral necklace with matching earrings, a wedding gift from her parents, which has not been seen for twenty-five years - very hard to understand.

Very true, Boris. That necklace is beautiful (and Greville piece as well) and yet we never see it anymore either, which is a shame. If Crown Princess Maxima had access to that piece I imagine we would see it regularly (she appears to enjoy rubies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom