Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IT would look good with a strapess evening dress - photoshop anyone?

Wow, that's a whopping huge opal. That is definitely a statement piece and one I don't particularly care for, although I do like opals. I really love the earrings, though. I could see that necklace on a tall larger framed woman like Maxima or Princess Charlene who would carry that quite well, I think.

Last edited:
That's my first time seeing this necklace. Interesting The Queen haven't worn it for years. Perhaps she could loan it to another royal lady? Or perhaps they could take out the opal and extend the necklace and just wear it like that.

Wow, that's a whopping huge opal. That is definitely a statement piece and one I don't particularly care for, although I do like opals. I really love the earrings, though. I could see that necklace on a tall larger framed woman like Maxima or Princess Charlene who would carry that quite well, I think.

I love opals as well. I actually think Catherine or Camilla could pull it off as well. HM is just too petite for a necklace like that to really suit her. It requires a taller woman.

^ I agree. But also a necklace like that requires a killer ensemble to go with it!

^ I agree. But also a necklace like that requires a killer ensemble to go with it!

I'd love to see it on Catherine with a killer strapless evening gown.

Shame she doesn't seem to like big jewelry.

This actually seems to be more Camilla's style than Kate's.

Wasn't there something about about opals being bad luck in the RF .... Maybe Alexandra or Mary? Might have something to do with HM not wearing the opals.

The theory is that wearing opals is considered bad luck if they're not your birthstone. :whistling:

Most likely the bad luck is due to the fragility of the stone since it can easily crack!:ohmy: And because that piece is so large, one has to take extra caution storing and wearing it.

Last edited:
I would hate a good piece of jewelry go to waste. I was never under the impression that the royals are superstitious or at least I had never heard that before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cullinan I - Star of Africa, now in the Sceptre with the Cross: 530.2
Cullinan II - Lesser Star of Africa, now in the Imperial State Crown: 317.4
Cullinan III - pear-shaped diamond now part of Granny's Chips (brooch): 94.4
Cullinan IV - square cushion diamond now part of Granny's Chips (brooch): 63.6

Those four alone total almost 1006 carats.

v Cullinans I - IX: glass copies for size comparison
Image courtesy of Wiki and reproduced under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3
Attribution:
Chris 73 / Wikimedia Commons

Hard to believe she was able to maintain her vertical position !

...I was never under the impression that the royals are superstitious or at least I had never heard that before.
i think this must have been where i read the story. it was the oriental circlcet tiara was originally opals and Alexandra had them replaced with Rubies as she thought they were bad luck.
The Oriental Circlet Tiara | The Royal Post

Interesting that the blog states that Victoria and Albert loved opals - perhaps there is a hidden treasure trove of unused opals in HM vaults.

When she was wearing all the Cullinans and ropes of other jewels besides, her whole outfit must've been one of the most valuable in history.
Not to mention I wonder how much it would weigh?! It must be hard on the back!!:)

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Brazilian Aquamarine Parure Tiara

This is one of my worst royal tiaras. The aquamarines are very beautiful, however I think the design is just awful and way too much. It is clunky indeed. The rest of the parure is however absolutely stunning. Just magnificent.

I was kind of wondering when Order of Splendor would cover this one, as it was the only tiara HM wears regularly that hasn't been covered.

I was sort of expecting it as a special Halloween post, however.

I was kind of wondering when Order of Splendor would cover this one, as it was the only tiara HM wears regularly that hasn't been covered.

I was sort of expecting it as a special Halloween post, however.

HA!

And I agree with Order of Splendor. As much as I respect Her Majesty, she just does not have an eye for jewelry design. The pieces she's commissioned are all amongst my least favorites in the collection.

I love it. Think amethyst or peridot would also work. Like the art deco design. Amazing large semi-precious stones.

She is a very nice lady, but when it comes to style she has no taste. For years she dressed like an old lady, far earlier than her years. Now, she must have a good stylist, as she tends to look better. Her jewels are the same. Whatever they are, is what she wears. The Aquamarines are beautiful stones, they are made into a hideous tiara.

I will say, as much as I dislike this tiara, I still hate the Burmese Ruby tiara more. This one looks clunky, but that one looks like a beauty pageant tiara for a county fair queen in Texas.

I have mixed feeling about the Burmese tiara. In some views, it looks good but in others, it looks awful. The rubies look like red blobs. Now those stones are definitely wasted on that tiara!

I have mixed feeling about the Burmese tiara. In some views, it looks good but in others, it looks awful. The rubies look like red blobs. Now those stones are definitely wasted on that tiara!

Agreed. They're beautiful stones. I look at something like the oriental circlet which is unbelievably beautiful and wish something that delicate and lovely could have been done instead.

Now the Oriental Circlet is a beauty with the subtle use of the rubies. When HM wears it with her ruby earrings and necklace, it just looks magnificent.

Last edited:
Now the Oriental Circlet is a beauty with the subtle use of the rubies. When HM wears it with her ruby earrings and necklace as shown in MichelleQ2's post above, it just looks magnificent.

It really does. The design is flawless and the rubies really stand out but don't take over the design. I wish HM would use this as her ruby tiara and send the other back to be reworked into something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom