Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So true about Maxima. I wonder if because those 2 necklaces look better on an open decollete if she doesn't feel comfortable in dresses like that anymore. That necklace is truly a stunner!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
While particularly the Victorian ruby & diamond wedding gift necklace (true, originally part of Mrs. Greville's collection) is quite long, there is no need for low necklines for it to be worn.
The last time the necklace was seen in public (as far as I know), during the state visit to Sweden in 1983 (!), Queen Elizabeth wore it with the high boat neckline of her silver-grey dress, and it was a good style too:
(Not a high quality pic, but to give you the idea of it -)

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/7209/199172.jpg

It seems to me that she actually prefers to wear the bolder pieces instead of the delicate and intricate ones in her collection, and a look at the design of the tiaras she had made for herself unfortunately speaks for this kind of taste as well, IMHO.

I do believe that I would hate to see the Ruby tiara on a young beautiful princess, but QE can carry it out and look so regal & graceful. I guess who wears what does count. JMHO

I wish she hadn't of worn this tiara, the Aquamarine would have been a nice change. :flowers:

I recall reading somewhere that the Burmese ruby tiara was created using a specific amount of rubies (that specific number is considered "lucky" or "fortunate" in Burmese culture, specifically against misfortune or illness), and was created in the design that it was as a nod to Burmese or Indian culture. I've noticed Her Majesty tends to wear it at Indian or Burmese events, as an acknowledgement of sorts to the culture. I would imagine it's also worn as a sign of respect.

Personally, I agree with most of us that it's not really the most attractive tiara she owns...she does wear rubies really well, it's a shame that it's not more becoming :ermm: I do, however, commend Her Majesty for observing these little tidbits of important history and taking the time to properly acknowledge custom. She's always very conscientious about that.

Oh, I completely agree that HM is thoughtful and considerate of her guests--but I wish she'd wear the Oriental Circlet LOL

Well, she received as a wedding gift a necklace of 96 rubies set in gold 'by the people of Burma'. According to Burmese legend, there are 96 diseases which can afflict the human body, and each ruby was supposed to be a charm against an illness.
The necklace was broken up and used to create the 1973 tiara plus its matching earrings, which were not even worn on this occasion. Thus I don't know if the breaking up of the piece can be thought of as considerate... the design of the new tiara is a modified floral wreath, there's nothing particularly Indian about it.

nor attractive.....:D

I was quite disappointed that the Queen wore the Burmese Ruby Tiara for the latest State Banquet with India. IMO, it is the LEAST appealing tiara that HM wears. I much prefer her in The Girls of GB or the Vladimir. :ermm:

Well since the Tiara is a relatively new creation and the rubies have already been separated, no stopping the next Queen from creating a new sparkler! =D

Well since the Tiara is a relatively new creation and the rubies have already been separated, no stopping the next Queen from creating a new sparkler! =D

Now, that would be nice. I'd love to see a new creation or two. I would also like to see the Rundell get trotted out as well.

Last edited:
It would seem that everyone would like to see some different ruby necklaces to the ones she keeps wearing... the Greville necklace is so beautiful, and a crime to keep hidden. And the Queen Mother's ruby necklace should be seen more often - she always wore it with the Oriental circlet, why can the Queen not dig this out more often.

Also - she has worn the rubies a fair bit over the past few years - not time to dig the sapphires out again? Would be a nice change wouldn't it.

And, let's not forget about the gorgeous, and I do mean gorgeous, emerald necklace of Queen Victoria's that the Queen Mother hogged for all these years; it would be nice to see this make an appearance:

During the past decade, QE II has developed the tendency to rather wear modern suites of emeralds, rubies and sapphires which have either been given to her as gifts by Middle Eastern rulers or have been made for her, instead of antique pieces in the same stones which are more beautiful and possess true historic value... quite strange.
Regarding rubies: The fact that we constantly see the 1973 flower power tiara with some inferior modern necklace added, while the Indian circlet with the historic ruby necklace was worn only once, is IMHO quite incomprehensible.

Flower power tiara! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I could not agree more. In fact, I will go ahead and say that I truly dislike the tassle necklaces that she has been given--the tassle sapphires, the tassle emeralds, and this horrible, horribly two ruby thing set in yellow gold that is, in my opinion, not flattering at all. I will also go on record and say I don't like Queen Silvia's modern pieces that are similar in style. Why wear something that looks stuck in the 80's when you have timeless elegance at your disposal? I also find it exceedingly incomprehensible. I am astounded everytime that tiara and necklace trots out of the jewel box.

Seems we're all agreed - leave the Dynasty pieces in the jewellery box - dig out the jewels with a bit of history. Oh if only she was reading this... sigh...

And, let's not forget about the gorgeous, and I do mean gorgeous, emerald necklace of Queen Victoria's that the Queen Mother hogged for all these years; it would be nice to see this make an appearance:
YES PLEASE!!!!!

I only have one picture of it.

You know in regard to the tiaras...I think a big part of it is the way a certain tiara sits on a certain person's head...sometimes its just the right diameter/shape/weighted just right and quickly becomes a favorite. Not wearing the other pieces, I am really at a loss to explain.

Flower power tiara! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I could not agree more. In fact, I will go ahead and say that I truly dislike the tassle necklaces that she has been given--the tassle sapphires, the tassle emeralds, and this horrible, horribly two ruby thing set in yellow gold that is, in my opinion, not flattering at all. I will also go on record and say I don't like Queen Silvia's modern pieces that are similar in style. Why wear something that looks stuck in the 80's when you have timeless elegance at your disposal? I also find it exceedingly incomprehensible. I am astounded everytime that tiara and necklace trots out of the jewel box.

I'll gladly take these pieces from the two Queens and wear them so they can wear their older elegant pieces. I'll be the sacrifice!!!:lol:

:previous:And I'll gladly volunteer to help airing those pieces from the Queens vaults which haven't seen the daylight for decades:flowers:. There must be quite a number of heirlooms from Queen Mary and Queen Mum still in her possession, like the Strathmore rose tiara, the Teck crescent tiara, the Teck circle necklace which reportedly can be worn as a tiara as well… and so on and on. Oh, not to forget the fringe tiara which the Queen wore at her wedding. Did she ever wear it again after that?

I don't think she did - but it was loaned to her from the then Queen wasn't it - so it wasn't hers to wear (as it was her something borrowed for the wedding) and the Queen Mum then loaned it again to Princess Anne for her wedding. The Queen Mum did wear it after the Queen's accession, but didn't wear it for years after that. So I guess it is ripe for a reapparance soon isn't it, now that the Queen is digging some of the QM's jewels out of the vault. Perhaps it's in storage for Kate? If so, I reckon Kate is going to have a vast haul - as we seem to be hoping that rather a lot is waiting for her don't we!!

The tiara The Queen wore on her wedding day was borrowed from Queen Mary and convertible to a necklace and she has worn it as such from time to time. The tiara Princess Anne wore was the George III Fringe Tiara borrowed from The Queen Mother.

They are not the same pieces.

I thought the George III was the tiara worn for the weddings of Elizabeth and Anne and that there was another fringe tiara that could be worn as a necklace.

Actually, they are[ the same pieces. According to Field's The Queen's Jewels, The George III fringe originally belonged to Queen Victoria. She left it to the Crown, and has been worn by all subsequent queens. The QM "owned it" as queen when her daughter was married, and the lending of the tiara came from her, not Queen Mary. HM wore it at her wedding, and the QM lent it to Princess Anne for her wedding. It can also be converted into a necklace, but I've never seen pictures of it.

Are you thinking of the kokoshnik tiara? It's also a fringe tiara, but a bit different.

Such a shame that HM no longer has the beautiful emerald tiara of Queen Victorias to wear with it.:sad:

So on the QM's death, the George III (which hadn't been worn by her since the 50's I reckon?) went to the vault then... Wonder when it'll reappear. You'd think the Queen might have dug it back out, seeing as it has such a sentimental history for her....

Actually, they are[ the same pieces. According to Field's The Queen's Jewels, The George III fringe originally belonged to Queen Victoria. She left it to the Crown, and has been worn by all subsequent queens. The QM "owned it" as queen when her daughter was married, and the lending of the tiara came from her, not Queen Mary. HM wore it at her wedding, and the QM lent it to Princess Anne for her wedding. It can also be converted into a necklace, but I've never seen pictures of it.

Are you thinking of the kokoshnik tiara? It's also a fringe tiara, but a bit different.

When it was discussed on the Royal Jewels MB some time ago it was said that the fringe tiara of Queen Victoria was given to the Princess Royal mary who owned 2 fringe tiaras. Queen mary had another one made for herself which she later gave to Queen Elizabeth. It was this one who was worn by the present Queen and Princess Anne on their Wedding Days.

Hallo, I'm new here and this is my first post. From a few years I've been reading the threads on this site and especialy the ones about royal jewels.

I know it's difficult to tell the fringe tiaras apart, because they're so many and so much alike. In 2007 The royal Collectin had an exibition established to mark the Diamond Wedding Anniversary of The Queen and Prince Philip. One of the items featured was the fringe tiara worn by The Queen (then Pss Elizabrth) and later by Anne, Princess Royal.

Here is the describtion of the tiara: "This tiara (which can also be worn as a necklace) was made for Queen Mary in 1919. It is not, as has sometimes been claimed, made with diamonds that had belonged to George III but re-uses diamonds taken from a necklace/tiara purchased by Queen Victoria from Collingwood & Co as a wedding present for Queen Mary in 1893. In August 1936 Queen Mary gave the tiara to Queen Elizabeth, from whom it was borrowed by Princess Elizabeth for her wedding in 1947."

Link - Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

I belive The Roayl Collection is more accurate when it comes to jewels/items from HM's private collection, don't you think so?
I don't know about Queen Victoria's fringe - From what I've read it was either left to The Crown or at some time given to Mary, Princess Royal.

Bobby

I am just becoming interested in teh royal jewels and this tiara look awfully familiar. It looks like the tiara that belonged to the Marina, Duchess of Kent and the current Duchess. Are they just that similiar?

I am just becoming interested in teh royal jewels and this tiara look awfully familiar. It looks like the tiara that belonged to the Marina, Duchess of Kent and the current Duchess. Are they just that similiar?

The fringe design was very popular not only in the UK. There is also a fringe tiara in the Princely Family of liechtenstein though it was not seen since a lot of years, in Denmark Queen Alexadrine had a fringe tiara which is now in the posession of Count Ingolf of Rosenborg and so on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom