The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

i thought that the pearls were either the ones she wore at her own wedding or her standard pearl necklace but i could be wrong

Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
The Kokoshnik was acquired by Queen Mary and has its provenance in Imperial Russia.
And just how did May "acquire" that piece of jewelry?
Inquiring Minds wanna know!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Ayvee, The fringe tiara is not the same as the Kokoshnik. The Kokoshnik was acquired by Queen Mary and has its provenance in Imperial Russia.
QEII has two kinds of fringe tiaras which look like Russian kokoshniks. The first one which she wore at her wedding and the 2nd one which was a present to Queen Alexandra for her 25th wedding anniversary. QEII wears this kokoshnik/fringe tiara in this link:
Official Photographic Portrait of Her Majesty The Queen
This design is composed of vertical bars with the same width but graduating height.

The one QEII wore at her wedding was made for Queen Mary using diamonds from George III. This fringe tiara is discussed in Geoffrey Munn's book. This kind of tiara has two kinds of spikes forming the kokoshnik shape. This particular design is the most popular. Princess Michael of Kent owns one. So did Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood. And QEII also has this design but as a necklace given to her by the City of London for her wedding:
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

So yes, the term fringe tiaras and kokoshnik tiaras are interchangeable with one another. Neither of these fringe tiaras have a Russian provenance.

The tiara you refer to that has the Imperial Russia provenance is the Vladimir Tiara which are circles with either hanging emeralds or pearls that Queen Mary purchased:
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

-Ayvee
Old 05-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Ayvee - You are aboslutely right, the Kokoshnik does not have Russian provenance, and I was confusing it with the Grand Duchess Vladamir tiara
Old 05-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
i thought that the pearls were either the ones she wore at her own wedding or her standard pearl necklace but i could be wrong
I think that you are right. They are two strands that belong to the crown and worn at her own wedding.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Majesty

i would love to know some trivia about her jewllery

for example
what tiara was the first that she wore at what age and event
Is there any tiara that she has now worn since she became queen
Did she share any tiara as a princess with her mother and sister
does she share any tiara today with other royal family members
Is thare a tiara that has not left the UK
Is there a special tiara for surtain events
What tiara does she use moust often
is there any tiara that she has not used for several years?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Aristocracy

"what tiara was the first that she wore at what age and event
Is there any tiara that she has now worn since she became queen
Did she share any tiara as a princess with her mother and sister
does she share any tiara today with other royal family members
Is thare a tiara that has not left the UK
Is there a special tiara for surtain events
What tiara does she use moust often
is there any tiara that she has not used for several years?'"

Her first tiaras were the wedding-gift from Queen Mary, the Girls of Great Britain and N.Ireland and the one from the Nyzam of Hyderabad.
But she wore first the fringe tiara at her wedding day.
She has lent her fan-shaped and sapphire tiara to Princess Margaret for years.
As far as I know she doesn't share her tiaras with anybody.
The Crown Jewels cannot leave the country e.g. the George IV Diadem.
The George IV Diadem is worn at the Opening of Parliament every year.
I think the record goes to the Girls of Great Britain and N.Ireland tiara as the most often worn tiara! I dare say TOO OFTEN!!
There are a lot of tiaras the she hasn't used at all!!!! 2 sapphire tiaras mentioned by Field, 4-5 or maybe even more smaller tiaras from Queen Mary, the Teck tiara, thr Strathmore tiara, Queen Alexandra's wedding gift tiara(Rundell).

I hope I had answered some of your questions!
Have a nice day!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Nobility

<i>The George IV Diadem is worn at the Opening of Parliament every year.
</i>

Actually, the Imperial State Crown is worn at the actual opening. My understanding is that she sometimes wears the Diadem to and from Westminster, and sometimes goes bareheaded.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Courtier

HM always wears the George IV tiara for the journey to & from the State Opening of Parliament. I don't believe there has been any of these occasions (for the Houses of Parliament in London State Opening) that she has gone bareheaded - - - unless someone has evidence to the contrary. HM wears full state regalia with her ermine trimmed robe & full length gown with opera gloves, so would never go without accompanying headgear....
Old 06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Aristocracy

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...1960COLOR5.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...549_24_200.jpg

I don't think either that HM goes bare-headed to the Parliament, it's always the GeorgeIV or when HM opened the Parliaments of New-Zealand, Australia or other Commonwealth country she wore various tiaras: the Kokoshnik, the Lover's Knot and others.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...wcs/QE5403.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...wcs/QE5409.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/a...cs/QEnsw54.jpg
Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Aristocracy

Thomas Parker idk where u get ur info but its not called The Princess Vladmir Tiara it is called : THE GRAND DUCHESS VLADIMR TIARA .

Cheers , Brent Rebbe von Behrens II
Old 06-12-2008, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Original pic posted by bweir, in this post.

This photogrpah was taken in Canada in May 2005 when the Queen attended a formal dinner in Edmonton, Alberta - see here for context.

>> click on pic to make it bigger.

~ ~

God I LOVE this necklace. If i opened the jewel box i would say WOW as well.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Boris - Are you sure this is the first outing of this sapphire parure? I am reasonably sure I have seen it previously, though can't seem to recall where.

It was in the DVD Queens Castle QEII wore it to a reception.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Courtier

Dear Warren I have a therory to run by you. Since the Qu Mums death in 2002 [god rest her soul] I've noticed QEII has been wearing some big chunky jewels from Qu Mary era not seen since 1950's such as Qu Mary's stomacher at jubilee sovereign get together in 2004. Also the very large diamond brooch worn on sash with Nik Sarkozy dinner at Windsor worn by Qu Alexandra. I'm suggesting that since her mums death she has got onto these very large and old pieces that may have been tucked away and forgotten about perhaps? What do you think? has anyone else noticed. regards to one and all.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
What do you think? has anyone else noticed. regards to one and all.
Sure have, Tarlita. The Queen's overall style has definitely changed. The new "White" look, white crystal beaded dress, white hair, white gloves . . . . . and . . . ta da!!!!!! The very white and sparkly Kolkoshnik plus earrings, plus bracelets.

And then there is the all white with the Burmese Ruby Tiara and Swag necklace and earrings and the huge Sunburst brooch and diamond bracelets worn as a parure and then there's the all white with the Kolkoshnik and huge Dubai Sapphire necklace and earrings , and . . . . . . etc.

She seems to be styling her Gala wear to showcase all the fabulous jewelry she has and seems to be wearing more of it. Yummy!!

Let the vaults open up. :w00t2::w00t2:
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Did anybody recognise the earrings HM was wearing at the Garter ceremony yesterday?
Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 AM

The King George VI Victorian Suite Saphire Necklace

Hi everyone.

I am a Jewellery making and design student in Australia and am currently doing a project where I have to compare two pieces of jewellery from two different era's .

I decided to compare present bling jewellery with The Queen Elizabeth II's jewellery as they no doubt are very similar.

But the only problem is I have been struggling to find the sort of information Im looking for which will make this presentation work.
So I thought I'd try my luck with you guys as it is due the day after next

I've decided to compare this piece from Jacob & Co's collection (the first pic) with what I understand is called "The King George VI Victorian Suite," the sapphire necklace King George gave to Queen Elizabeth II(pic 2)

If anybody knows anything on The King George VI Victorian Suite I would much appreciate it.

I'm after any information about the size of the sapphires used, number of surrounding diamonds, the jeweller King George used etc.
The Garter Riband which the sapphires apparently perfectly matched.
And also any information about the Queens personal jewellery preferences she had, from favourite metal, to favourite stone to favourite style etc.. haha anything will help

Thanks in advance everyone

Oh yeh, first post woooo!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
HM always wears the George IV tiara for the journey to & from the State Opening of Parliament. I don't believe there has been any of these occasions (for the Houses of Parliament in London State Opening) that she has gone bareheaded - - - unless someone has evidence to the contrary. HM wears full state regalia with her ermine trimmed robe & full length gown with opera gloves, so would never go without accompanying headgear....
She doesn't put on the robes or other regalia until after she arrives at the House of Lords. There is, in fact, a specific room set aside for the sole purpose of putting on the Robe and Imperial State Crown.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:14 PM
Courtier

repeat

I'm aware that she puts on her cloak & changes her diadem for the Crown once she arrives at the Houses of Parliament, but she does travel in her evening dress & gloves and therefore never does the (UK) ride without the appropriate headgear - namely the George IV diadem.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Nobility

*shrug* Okay. I thought I had seen footage of her en route but bareheaded.

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras