The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Nobility

When Queen Mary was completely decked out, and I have seen pics of her wearing Cullinans 1 thru 4 just for starters, how many carets did she walk around wearing.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:06 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
I wonder what the inscription on the stone is. Very intriguing and beautiful workmanship on the necklace. A real statement piece, though the stones are not to my taste.
Have a look at this article with details on the Timur Ruby.
The spinel is inscribed with the names and dates of six of its previous owners, namely Timur (Tameralne), Akbar, Jahangir, Aurangzeb, Farrukhsiyar, and Ahmad Durrani.

Farrukhsiyar also left an inscription on the stone, which read: “This is the ruby from among the 25,000 authentic jewels of the King of Kings, the Sultan Sahib Qiran [Timur], which in the year 1153 [1740 AD] from the jewels of Hindustan reached this place [Isfahan]."

Old 02-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
When Queen Mary was...wearing Cullinans 1 thru 4..., how many carats [were there]?
Cullinan I - Star of Africa, now in the Sceptre with the Cross: 530.2
Cullinan II - Lesser Star of Africa, now in the Imperial State Crown: 317.4
Cullinan III - pear-shaped diamond now part of Granny's Chips (brooch): 94.4
Cullinan IV - square cushion diamond now part of Granny's Chips (brooch): 63.6

Those four alone total almost 1006 carats.

v Cullinans I - IX: glass copies for size comparison
Image courtesy of Wiki and reproduced under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3
Attribution:
Chris 73 / Wikimedia Commons
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glass Clullinans.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	288126  
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^^^
So basically just your simple afternoon tea at The Ritz kind of jewellery, nothing too dressy. LOL
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Nobility

That doesn't include the 4 or 5 chokers, bracelets and honors. She must have been blinding in the sun.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Have a look at this article with details on the Timur Ruby.
The spinel is inscribed with the names and dates of six of its previous owners, namely Timur (Tameralne), Akbar, Jahangir, Aurangzeb, Farrukhsiyar, and Ahmad Durrani.

Farrukhsiyar also left an inscription on the stone, which read: “This is the ruby from among the 25,000 authentic jewels of the King of Kings, the Sultan Sahib Qiran [Timur], which in the year 1153 [1740 AD] from the jewels of Hindustan reached this place [Isfahan]."
Thank you as always, Artemisia. I should just head over to your jewel den knowing you more than likely have information on such esoterica!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

When she was wearing all the Cullinans and ropes of other jewels besides, her whole outfit must've been one of the most valuable in history. Taken together, it's hard to think of any other ensemble that would even come close, except maybe some of the Iranian or Russian royals?

I remember Bette Midler met the Queen at the 2009 Royal Variety. Afterwards she said the first thing that hit her when she shook HM's hand was her dazzling diamonds. The only jewellery HM was wearing was a necklace and earrings. I can't imagine what it must've been like to be introduced to Queen Mary when she was dressed to the nines!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I read somewhere that Queen Mary had to have the bodices of her gowns reinforced to carry all those jewels. I can believe it given the amount and weight of the gems she wore at one time. Just have to love the magpie in her!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 AM
Majesty

I always wondered why The Queen and other ladies of the royal family stop wearing tiara's to The Royal Variety Performance and Film Performance?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I always wondered why The Queen and other ladies of the royal family stop wearing tiara's to The Royal Variety Performance and Film Performance?
I guess over the past 2 decades its become a less formal ceremony,I'm not sure what was the last year they stopped wearing tiaras to both events.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Andamooka Opal Necklace and Earrings

Wow, the necklace and earrings are absolutely stunning! What beautiful colors those are.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Andamooka Opal Necklace and Earrings

Wow, the necklace and earrings are absolutely stunning! What beautiful colors those are.
I never realized how intricate the diamond scroll work is on that necklace....or that I would ever have anything nice to say about this necklace.

Something that large probably belongs in a natural history museum. In a piece of jewelry it just looks...awkward. The earrings look nice, though.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Heir Apparent

IT would look good with a strapess evening dress - photoshop anyone?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, that's a whopping huge opal. That is definitely a statement piece and one I don't particularly care for, although I do like opals. I really love the earrings, though. I could see that necklace on a tall larger framed woman like Maxima or Princess Charlene who would carry that quite well, I think.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
Majesty

That's my first time seeing this necklace. Interesting The Queen haven't worn it for years. Perhaps she could loan it to another royal lady? Or perhaps they could take out the opal and extend the necklace and just wear it like that.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Wow, that's a whopping huge opal. That is definitely a statement piece and one I don't particularly care for, although I do like opals. I really love the earrings, though. I could see that necklace on a tall larger framed woman like Maxima or Princess Charlene who would carry that quite well, I think.
I love opals as well. I actually think Catherine or Camilla could pull it off as well. HM is just too petite for a necklace like that to really suit her. It requires a taller woman.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Nobility

^ I agree. But also a necklace like that requires a killer ensemble to go with it!
Old 03-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Catherine View Post
^ I agree. But also a necklace like that requires a killer ensemble to go with it!
I'd love to see it on Catherine with a killer strapless evening gown.

Shame she doesn't seem to like big jewelry.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post

I'd love to see it on Catherine with a killer strapless evening gown.

Shame she doesn't seem to like big jewelry.
Lets hope she does when she become Princess of Wales and eventually Queen
Old 03-08-2013, 03:50 AM
Courtier

This actually seems to be more Camilla's style than Kate's.

Wasn't there something about about opals being bad luck in the RF .... Maybe Alexandra or Mary? Might have something to do with HM not wearing the opals.

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras