The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Heir Apparent

HM wore her "minor" emeralds in Edinburgh today, for the Order of the Thistle service.

If I recall correctly, these were last used for the return dinner the Obama's hosted at Winfield House when they visited London in 2011.

Queen Elizabeth II And Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh

Old 07-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Emeralds, may I say, finally! I do like pear shaped stones, as well.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Courtier

As her major diamonds are on display back in London, it seems we are benefitting from HM having to dig a little deeper into the Royal jewelry vault.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Seeing one (or in this case, nine) of the Cambridge emeralds is always a pleasure, not to mention a Cullinan diamond (even one of the smaller ones).
I absolutely love every element of the Delhi Durbar parure, this necklace included.

Here is a huge picture of the necklace which showcases every stone in all their glory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Delhi Durbar necklace.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	285963  
Old 07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The Delhi Durbar emerald necklace is seriously magnificent, one I always love to see on HM. The design and those dangling gems are just exceptional!
Old 07-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
Seeing one (or in this case, nine) of the Cambridge emeralds is always a pleasure.
I absolutely love every element of the Delhi Durbar parure, this necklace included.

Here is a huge picture of the necklace which showcases every stone in all their glory.
wait, in the picture above, HM's necklace appears to be pearls with multiple emerald drop pendants. Is this an alternative setting?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisotter

wait, in the picture above, HM's necklace appears to be pearls with multiple emerald drop pendants. Is this an alternative setting?
No, there are only diamonds in the Delhi Durbar / Cambridge Emeralds Parure!
Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisotter View Post
No pearls - just diamonds and emeralds.
Have a look at this picture; every stone is visible, so you can see there are no pearls in this necklace.

You can read about the history of the necklace here.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Gentry

Then, looking at the picture Muriel posted above, HM wasn't wearing this necklace from the Delhi Durbar parure. It's lovely to have a picture from before the robes were put on for the second part of the day.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Heir Apparent

No, she wore her "minor" emerald necklace as Muriel described. And her are her "minor" emerald earrings that match it! But it is nice to see different jewels we haven't seen for awhile being trotted out because of the exhibition.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

My sincere apologies for the confusion; I saw emeralds and immediately thought of the Delhi Durbar necklace.
Krisotter and Baroness of Books are absolutely correct; the necklace Her Majesty wore today is of course not the Delhi Durbar one.

The Queen wore the Emerald and Gold necklace.
Teardrop emeralds (presumably, Cambridge emeralds) have been set in the knot diamond encrusted yellow gold necklace with matching earrings.

Her Majesty has worn this necklace only handful of times. In fact, on top of my head I can only think of one occasion, when she paired the necklace and the earrings with the Vladimir Tiara set with emeralds (the picture attached). She also has a very similar sapphire necklace (second picture attached).

Cropped from larger images and constitute 20% of the originals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VladimirEmeraldsMaryElizabeth.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	285964   Click image for larger version

Name:	GW238H286.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	285965  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Nobility

How many carets are the smaller diamonds in the DD emerald necklace?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The Queen wore the Emerald and Gold necklace.
Teardrop emeralds (presumably, Cambridge emeralds) have been set in the knot diamond encrusted yellow gold necklace with matching earrings.

The origins of this demi-parure and the emeralds it contains is less than clear. It is a modern deisgn and I understand it first appeared in the 1980s, or perhaps even later. I would be surprised if the emeralds were part of the Cambridge emeralds.

Quote:

Her Majesty has worn this necklace only handful of times. In fact, on top of my head I can only think of one occasion, when she paired the necklace and the earrings with the Vladimir Tiara set with emeralds (the picture attached).
I agree, this necklace has hardly been used. In fact, it has been a while that HM has used either the Delhi Durbar emerald necklace or the GDV tiara with the emeralds. Perhaps she is not a fan a emeralds these days.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The most accepted version of the origin of the two demi-parure sets (the emerald and the sapphire ones) is that they were a gift from one of the Arab Royal Families.
However, the emeralds might have well been substituted with Cambridge ones because they do look a lot like the Cambridge emeralds in the Delhi Durbar set.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
However, the emeralds might have well been substituted with Cambridge ones because they do look a lot like the Cambridge emeralds in the Delhi Durbar set.
No, the emeralds in the modern set have certainly not been substituted by any of the Cambridge emeralds.
The necklace is still in its original form as it was seen several years ago, and the Cambridge emeralds are afaik all larger in size and shaped differently.

As the setting and design of the modern set is very typical of the style used in jewelry gifts from Arab countries, this is most likely the source indeed.
It would be interesting to research if this set - like many others - was worn for the first time at a return dinner during a state visit, since this occasion usually indicates who gifted a newly worn jewel.

EDIT:
According to Baxter and Boffer from the Royal Jewels MB, this set was first worn by The Queen to the return banquet hosted by Sheikh Zayed of the United Arab Emirates when he paid a State Visit to Britain in 1989.
Therefore, it was in all probability a gift from the UAE on that occasion.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

The most accepted version of the origin of the two demi-parure sets (the emerald and the sapphire ones) is that they were a gift from one of the Arab Royal Families.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
No, the emeralds in the modern set have certainly not been substituted by any of the Cambridge emeralds.
The necklace is still in its original form as it was seen several years ago, and the Cambridge emeralds are afaik all larger in size and shaped differently.

As the setting and design of the modern set is very typical of the style used in jewelry gifts from Arab countries, this is most likely the source indeed.
It would be interesting to research if this set - like many others - was worn for the first time at a return dinner during a state visit, since this occasion usually indicates who gifted a newly worn jewel.

EDIT:
According to Baxter and Boffer from the Royal Jewels MB, this set was first worn by The Queen to the return banquet hosted by Sheikh Zayed of the United Arab Emirates when he paid a State Visit to Britain in 1989.
Therefore, it was in all probability a gift from the UAE on that occasion.
I maintain (and agree with Boris) that the emeralds do not appear to be Cambridge emeralds at all, neither in size or colouring.

As to whether they were a gift from a Middle Eastern state, we are unlikely to see confirmation of that. Often when modern jewellery is seen on the BRF (or any other European royal family for that matter), it is often ascribed by forum members to Middle Eastern states. This may or may not be true.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
As to whether they were a gift from a Middle Eastern state, we are unlikely to see confirmation of that. Often when modern jewellery is seen on the BRF (or any other European royal family for that matter), it is often ascribed by forum members to Middle Eastern states. This may or may not be true.
QE II has actually long been in the habit of wearing jewelry which was gifted to her during a state visit for the return dinner/function of this state visit - see the major Saudi Arabian diamond necklaces, for example.
Along with the fact that in terms of the setting and style used, the emerald suite points very much towards a Middle Eastern gift, the assumption that this set came from the UAE is most likely correct, IMHO.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I do not disagree with you and Boris, muriel.
Just thought the emeralds might have been some of the smaller Cambridge emeralds.
Then again, the ones in the earring match to those in the necklace, so probably they came from the same source - and it's very unlikely to be Cambridge ones.

The two demi-parures do look a lot like Saudi designs, so I'd say rumours of their origin are pretty accurate. Of course, that's never going to be officially confirmed.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Administrator

As Boris has posted, the emerald necklace is commonly accepted as being a gift from Sheikh Zayed, President of the UAE, in 1989.
The sapphire necklace of similar style was worn in 2007 during the visit of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia which (strongly) suggests it is a gift from a senior member of the House of Saud.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Link to site dedicated the HMQ's jewellery

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras