The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
Oh...I think you are referring to the Kohinoor (anglicised spelling) brooch.
and IIRC isnt the curse limited to men... which is why it had been in the consorts crown after Victoria.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2

and IIRC isnt the curse limited to men... which is why it had been in the consorts crown after Victoria.
So the legend goes...

Old 05-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
So the legend goes...

probably started by a woman who didnt want to share the stone with her husband.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2

probably started by a woman who didnt want to share the stone with her husband.
Well it was only worn by men prior to this - each one met a nasty end!!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

All this from ONE stone: Jewellery from world's largest diamond goes on display at Buckingham palace | Mail Online
Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Serene Highness

That's one big beautiful diamond! Such Beautiful jewels came out of it
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen's diamond diadem goes on display at Buckingham Palace | Mail Online
Old 05-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Burmese Ruby Tiara

This is one of my least favorite tiaras. I think the design is bad even though I love rubies.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Gentry

I'm agreeing with you. Between this and Cam's Saudi Breastplate, the BRF isn't in short supply of rubies to make entire parures out of.
I just hope they restore the Nazim if they decide to dismantle this tiara.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I know few people like that tiara, but I actually do. The design is unusual but interesting and pretty, and I love the setting of the stones.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I, too, think it is lovely and different.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

You know, liking for this tiara is growing on me. From several angles, it sits nicely on HM's head and looks really good and in closeup, it's a beauty where you can see the detail of the ruby roses. It's only from a distance that it unfortunately looks like a couple of red blobs on her head.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
You know, liking for this tiara is growing on me. From several angles, it sits nicely on HM's head and looks really good and in closeup, it's a beauty where you can see the detail of the ruby roses. It's only from a distance that it unfortunately looks like a couple of red blobs on her head.
Don't get me wrong, I understand why some people would like it. It's substantial in size and the Tudor Rose symbolism is nice. But....

It's the giant red blobs. Maybe if the rubies were set in platinum or white gold, or if there were more diamonds to help separate the "petals" they would look better. And I think the rays and swags in between the rose motifs take away from the diamond petals/leaves. Maybe if they were scrolls instead, they would make the design look less harsh?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I think if the flowers were not so large and solid, the tiara would be a knockout. A scattering of diamonds interspersed might help the look as well as eliminating the ruby swags.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMess View Post
Don't get me wrong, I understand why some people would like it. It's substantial in size and the Tudor Rose symbolism is nice. But....

It's the giant red blobs. Maybe if the rubies were set in platinum or white gold, or if there were more diamonds to help separate the "petals" they would look better. And I think the rays and swags in between the rose motifs take away from the diamond petals/leaves. Maybe if they were scrolls instead, they would make the design look less harsh?
I agree, I think the tiara would look much better if some of the rubies were interspersed with diamonds. Perhaps that is a change Camilla can make when she gets her hands on the tiara!
Old 06-02-2012, 04:11 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Queen of diamonds: Her Majesty owns some of the world's most precious gems but, one Royal author says it's the personal ones that mean most | Mail Online
Old 06-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Some excerpts from the MailOnline llink...
Queen of diamonds

When the eight-month-old Princess Elizabeth was given a simple coral necklace in December 1926, she began a lifelong association with jewellery. Some 85 years later, Elizabeth II is custodian of one of the most fabulous jewel collections in the world. Following Queen Victoria’s death in 1901 certain jewels stipulated in her will were listed ‘as belonging to the Crown and to be worn by all future Queens in right of it’.

These would be passed down through the generations from Queen Alexandra to Queen Mary and then to the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. They will eventually be handed down to Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, and to Catherine, wife of the future King William V. The personal jewels of Elizabeth II can of course be left to anyone she chooses.

Yet no definitive list exists as to what is Crown and what is personal, though it was estimated in 1987 that Elizabeth owned or had worn some 14 tiaras, 34 pairs of earrings, 98 brooches, 46 necklaces, 37 bracelets, five pendants, 14 watches and 15 rings. Add to this the items returned to the Royal Collection following the deaths of the Queen Mother, Princess Margaret and the Princess of Wales, and the royal ‘jewel pool’ is now the largest it has ever been.

Her favourite pieces are, of course, the ones with a personal association. There’s the Flower Basket Brooch her parents gave her in November 1948 to mark the birth of Prince Charles. Then there’s the platinum and diamond bracelet Prince Philip designed for her as a wedding gift.

Since the death of the Queen Mother, the Queen has worn over a dozen of her mother’s favourite brooches, as well as one of her tiaras. Poignantly, she wore one of her mother’s favourite Art Deco brooches – made of diamonds set in the design of an oyster shell with an enormous pearl in the middle – when she unveiled the statue of her mother in The Mall in February 2009.

Without doubt, the Queen’s favourite piece is her engagement ring, which she wears every day. Made of 11 diamonds from a tiara belonging to Philip’s mother, Princess Andrew of Greece, it is set in platinum to the prince’s design. While Elizabeth II is happy to dress to impress, it is the smaller personal items that mean the most – and these she wouldn’t swap for a Queen’s ransom.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Good grief! That has to be the worst, the most awful, the most utterly terrible photo of the Queen. She looks like a caricature of herself!

Has some over-eager photo-shopper given her eye make-up more suited to a bordello, or what? As for the rest of her make-up? It looks like it's been applied with a trowel. Even her beautiful white hair has been transformed into the blue rinse from hell!!!!

Since the article is about the Queen's bling and the photo shows relatively little bling (for her), I can only imagine it's some rabid anti-monarchist let loose without rein.

Thank you very much Mail Online, if this is them in "Jubilee" mode, I shudder to think what sort of photo or article they would print to wish her happy!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:07 AM
Gentry

Not to mention they picked a photo where she wears the ugliest tiara in her collection!

Speaking of ugly tiaras, I want to get back to the Burmese for a second. I was thinking about how she could have used the rubies without sacrificing a good tiara like the Nizam. What if she clustered them into drop pendents and hung them in the Vladimir Tiara? That way she wouldn't have to take diamonds from anywhere and she would add even more versatility to a tiara she already favors. I can't help thinking that neither HM or even Queen Mary used the GDV to its full potential.

But what's done is done, I suppose
Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness

The photo in the article looks photoshopped to me, plus it looks like the queen is wearing too much, it's just a horrible picture of HM.

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras