Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I, too, do not like it, but that is just opinion and neither here nor there. But the one thing I must say is Queen Mary could wear jewels, with more elegance than anyone.

Now that might be a possibility; I could visualize a large pearl taking the central spot in place of the cross as the focal point. I think, though, that the fine diamond strands should be eliminated in a tiara form. But I suppose as an historic piece the necklace should just be left as is and because it's so splendidly OTT, some flamboyant lady should just take that piece on and sport it on her royal bosom! ;)

Last edited:
:eek: The Vandals are coming . . . . . :censored:

A major part of my love for multi-strand pearl necklaces are these magnificent clasps. They add such a beautiful focal point to these luscious pearls.

Totally agree with you Baroness. Totally agree. And our leading ladies seem to have created quite the selection for us to appreciate haven't they?

I know that Kate hasn't really gotten her feet wet in regards to showing off a serious jewel collection, but I sure hope that her mother in law can help her select some serious bling for herself. Camilla sure knows her way around a jewelry vault.

Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

Close-up of the Cambridge lover's knot tiara shows the pearls to be detachable.

Does anyone know:

1. If the Cambridge tiara has been worn without the bottom pearls?
2. If the Cambridge & the Vladmir with the pearls attached were ever worn to the same event at the same time?
3. When was the last time the Queen wore the Vladimir with the pearls.

I'm thinking the pearls are the same for both tiaras.

Cambridge Lovers Knot Tiara - Original 1818 Version and the 1913 Version

Thanks

Does anyone know:

2. If the Cambridge & the Vladmir with the pearls attached were ever worn to the same event at the same time?

Thanks

1. Don't think so. Have never seen a pic of it without the hanging pearls
2. One would have to look at incoming State Visits in the 1980's. As the Queen uses the Vladimir tiara with pearls quit often there would be a good chance.
3. In 2012 for the incoming State Visit from Indonesia

Don't think the pearls are the same. As far as i know the pearls in the Vladimir tiara are the same as when in was worn by the Grand Duchess Vladimir.

Does anyone know:

Thanks

Definitely not the same pearls, Queen Mary was wearing the Lovers Knot tiara long before she acquired the Vladimir tiara in the 1920's !

I was thinking that maybe when Queen Mary bought the Vladimir it might have been missing some pearls or that she reused the Vladimir pearls for other jewelry & just used the same ones from the Cambridge when she wore the Vladimir.

Queen Mary was a bit tight with her jewelry but it is possible that since 1921 that the Vladimir & Cambridge appeared together each with or without pearls.

Maybe during the 1950s or 1960s or 1970s, Princess Margaret wore one & the Queen wore the other or maybe the Queen Mum wore one and either of her daughters wore the other one.

The Cambridge tiara being around since 1913 and it is a possibility that it has been worn without the pearls.

Thanks

I was thinking that maybe when Queen Mary bought the Vladimir it might have been missing some pearls or that she reused the Vladimir pearls for other jewelry & just used the same ones from the Cambridge when she wore the Vladimir.

Queen Mary was a bit tight with her jewelry but it is possible that since 1921 that the Vladimir & Cambridge appeared together each with or without pearls.

Maybe during the 1950s or 1960s or 1970s, Princess Margaret wore one & the Queen wore the other or maybe the Queen Mum wore one and either of her daughters wore the other one.

The Cambridge tiara being around since 1913 and it is a possibility that it has been worn without the pearls.

Thanks

I looked up the Vladimir in Hugh Robert's "The Queens Diamonds". This is a quote from the book...

QM had the tiara adapted in 1924 to take 15 of the Cambridge emeralds as an alternative to the original pearls. Ten of these emeralds had previously been used on the Delhi Durbar Tiara."

He also mentions that the tiara suffered some damage on its trip from Russia, and Garrard did the repair - "and replacing 2 missing brilliants". No mention of missing pearls.

I've also looked up the Lover's Knot Tiara from the same source

"... made using diamonds and 12 pearl drops taken from a necklace/tiara given to her on her marriage by '650 Ladies of England. These were supplemented by 13 pearls originally on the Girls of GB and Ireland Tiara, 11 pearls taken from pieces of her mother's jewellery and a pearl each from the brooches given to her by the town of Richmond and the Ladies of Hampshire."

I looked up the Vladimir in Hugh Robert's "The Queens Diamonds". This is a quote from the book...

QM had the tiara adapted in 1924 to take 15 of the Cambridge emeralds as an alternative to the original pearls. Ten of these emeralds had previously been used on the Delhi Durbar Tiara."

He also mentions that the tiara suffered some damage on its trip from Russia, and Garrard did the repair - "and replacing 2 missing brilliants". No mention of missing pearls.

Thanks for your research.

I was just curious but would still love to see the catalog for the sale of the Vladimir or photo taken right after purchase.

Thanks

The Queen (Elizabeth II) inherited both tiaras directly from her grandmoter Mary. Neither were loaned to anybody until Queen Mary's Lovers' Knot tiara was given/loaned to The Princess of Wales in 1981. The Queen still has sole use of the Vladimir tiara.

The Upper Pearls

I should probably know this but... what became of the upper pearls from the Lover's Knot when QM removed them? I do not recall seeing them in use since QM's time. Were they re-used elsewhere or are they still available to be "put back on"?

I should probably know this but... what became of the upper pearls from the Lover's Knot when QM removed them? I do not recall seeing them in use since QM's time. Were they re-used elsewhere or are they still available to be "put back on"?

Queen Mary wore them as pendants from her ropes of pearls from time to time. I imagine they are in store at Buckingham Palace.

The pearls that had been detached from Queen Mary's personal jewellery for use in the L'sK tiara were returned to their places. That's why we now see The Duchess of Teck's Emperor of Austia brooch, The Duchess of Cambridge's pearl pendant brooch, the Richmond brooch, etc. with the drop pearls that were part of the original design. The same goes for the six pearls that were taken from Queen Mary's pearl and diamond stomacher.

As has already been mentioned, Queen Mary sometimes used drop pearls as pendants on various pearl strings. It is possible that these were previously in use in the L'sK tiara.

Hope this helps :)

For the state banquet at Windsor tonight for the visiting Irish President, it is very good to see that HM has taken out the Grand Duchess Vlad tiara, with the emeralds setting. I think this tiara is being used with the emeralds after many years. She is also wearing the Delhi Durbar emerald and diamond necklace.

A stunning display of emeralds tonight - and very fitting at a State banquet to honour the Irish guests.

I saw the coverage on the TV in HD and I was blown away at how magical the Queen looked last night! The beautiful jewels went perfectly with her dress, which I believe is the State Dress made for HM's Diamond Jubilee!

A stunning display of emeralds tonight - and very fitting at a State banquet to honour the Irish guests.

My thoughts exactly! Magical indeed!

Last edited:
Beautiful I love the emeralds. I do wish she would wear her mothers emerald necklace

How stunning beautiful those emeralds are. I always loved that asymmetrical diamond and emerald necklace inherited from Queen Mary.

It was well noted across the Irish sea!

Mixed feelings on the necklace but the tiara was simply bedazzling .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom