The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2011, 07:13 AM
Royal Highness

I would rather say the the jewellery collection will go to the next sovereign, which will be Charles. Camilla will have access to the collection, but ownership will stay with the king.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:39 AM
Administrator

The interesting part from Royal Insight (post #500) is this:

"...The jewels in the Royal Collection...[are] always made available to Queen Consorts and other members of the Royal Family." [my bolding]

In other words, those pieces deemed to be part of the Royal Collection are not reserved exclusively for use by the Sovereign or Consort as we had been led to believe, but can be loaned out.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Commoner

I assumed that the Queen's personal collection would go to Charles and then to William (in order of succession). I guess not, though, since it is her personal jewelry.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I forget, is it your personal jewelry if it is a gift from a state visit. I would say yes but actually you wouldn't recieve such a gift if not for the royal title. So is it state property or do you have to specifically say you are leaving it to the State? anyone of you experts have an opinion?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Certain select pieces have been "left to the Crown" by Queen Victoria and either "given to the Crown", "sent to Windsor Castle" or "Sent to the Tower" by Queen Mary.
[refer Fields, "The Royal Jewels", Appendix A: 'The Crown Jewellery'].
The rest is private property.

However, it is a given that virtually all of the jewels presented to the Queen during her reign will pass to her successor in a Sovereign to Sovereign transfer.
Family jewels and private gifts are HM's to dispose of as she sees fit although it is likely most will pass to her successor in the same manner.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

Family jewels and private gifts are HM's to dispose of as she sees fit although it is likely most will pass to her successor in the same manner.
That is good, IMHO, because I want to see the Duchess of Cambridge, when she become Queen Catherine, wearing all of this spectacular jewelry.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:42 PM
Royal Highness

The queen wore the aquamarine parure on Oct 28th 2011 at Dinner the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Perth.
Queen Elizabeth II Delivers A Speech During A Banquet At The Pan
source: Getty Images

Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

If I was a Queen, I'd want that to be my tiara!
Old 10-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
The queen wore the aquamarine parure on Oct 28th 2011 at Dinner the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Perth.
Queen Elizabeth II Delivers A Speech During A Banquet At The Pan
source: Getty Images

Although a lot of people dislike this tiara, it really looks good on her white hair.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Heir Apparent

I love the aquamarine tiara.I think she should wear it more often.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Aristocracy

I don't like the aquamarine parure (i like only the brooch), but I must admit that it looks good on her.
I agree with you GillW, it looks better now with white hair than when she was younger.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Nobility

Do we know, when she last wore the aquamarine parure? I can't remember seeing her with this jewelry recently. Still not decided yet if I like it. Definitely not my favourite (although I like aquamarines) but I think HM can show it off.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:51 AM
Nobility

The last time she wore it was during the State Banquet of the Mexican President in March 2010.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:53 AM
Nobility

A question to my knowledgeable fellow posters.

The ruby tiara, created in the 1970ies for HM Queen Elizabeth contains diamonds, which are believed to come from the tiara she received from the Nizam of Hyderabad:

http://knowingtheroyals.files.wordpr.../06/760014.jpg

I was reading in one of my jewelry books that the Nizam of H. tiara contained a set of diamond clips which are believed to come from the actress Merle Oberons jewelry collection. While the diamonds of the original tiara have been remounted into the ruby tiara, the clips have been kept and are still worn by Queen Elizabeth.
Anybody has more information here?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
The last time she wore it was during the State Banquet of the Mexican President in March 2010.
Thank you very much. You are perfectly right - I must have missed it.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by countess felicitas View Post
...The Ruby tiara...created in the 1970s for HM Queen Elizabeth...
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara
Old 10-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
The time before that was in 2006 when the President of Brazil had visited the UK
Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Nobility

Thanks so much IloveCP - I should have guessed that the "Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor" page knows such things...
I had a quick look at the pictures from Merle O. diamond clips and they really look very similar to those in the original tiara and the clips Queen Elizabeth is still wearing.
So maybe this time it is a true story....
Old 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
At the end of this lengthy Mail Online link is a video of part of HM's speech at the Irish State Banquet in Dublin.
She is wearing the Girls of Great Britain tiara and a diamond necklace (provenance unknown).

For those who like to see some glitter in action, the video is worth a look.

-> Queen's visit to Ireland| Mail Online (scroll down for the video)

v
HM at the Irish State Banquet
image cropped from a much larger picture and not subject to copyright
warren i think this necklace was queen marys gift from queen victoria it was called a diamond fringe necklace its also seen in a pic of queen mary on this site Queen Marys Wedding presents | Hochzeitsgeschenke
Old 11-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Gentry

[QUOTE=mary stuart;1333179]warren i think this necklace was queen marys gift from queen victoria it was called a diamond fringe necklace its also seen in a pic of queen mary on this site Queen Marys Wedding presents | Hochzeitsgeschenke

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras