The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Royal Highness

No, I caught that too. Lady Pamela clearly stated with no interruption, that the tiara originally going to be used snapped, so Queen Mary stepped in with another one, the one we see on her head. Interesting. Unless, maybe, Lady Pamela confused the details a little on accident.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Nobility

Provenance of The Queen's wedding fringe tiara

This is point 22 of an article in today's Telegraph listing 85 things to know about QE II in honor of her birthday.

22. The Queen's Bridal Veil was made of tulle and held by a tiara of diamonds. This tiara (which can also be worn as a necklace) was made for Queen Mary in 1919. It is made from re-used diamonds taken from a necklace/tiara purchased by Queen Victoria from Collingwood and Co and a wedding present for Queen Mary in 1893. In August, 1936, Queen Mary gave the tiara to Queen Elizabeth from whom it was borrowed by Princess Elizabeth for her wedding in 1947.

Interesting, because sometimes the Queen's wedding tiara is said to be the "Hanover Fringe" dating from the reign of George IV.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
No, I caught that too. Lady Pamela clearly stated with no interruption, that the tiara originally going to be used snapped, so Queen Mary stepped in with another one, the one we see on her head. Interesting. Unless, maybe, Lady Pamela confused the details a little on accident.
I've watch the show and love the story Lady Pamela shared w/ Barbara Walters. Now I wonder what happen to that tiara.
There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
This is point 22 of an article in today's Telegraph listing 85 things to know about QE II in honor of her birthday.

22. The Queen's Bridal Veil was made of tulle and held by a tiara of diamonds. This tiara (which can also be worn as a necklace) was made for Queen Mary in 1919. It is made from re-used diamonds taken from a necklace/tiara purchased by Queen Victoria from Collingwood and Co and a wedding present for Queen Mary in 1893. In August, 1936, Queen Mary gave the tiara to Queen Elizabeth from whom it was borrowed by Princess Elizabeth for her wedding in 1947.

Interesting, because sometimes the Queen's wedding tiara is said to be the "Hanover Fringe" dating from the reign of George IV.

According to the royalcolletion it was the tiara made for Queen mary in 1919
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

Royal Travel and Events

Old 04-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
Could be true because the royal family does have more than one fringe in their collection, but I always thought it was the same one just quickly fixed, I guess we wont know though unless we hear from the queen herself!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM
Heir Apparent

My favorite is the Russian tiara,then the Vladimir tiara.

What tiara would you like to see her wear?I would like her to wear the Loop tiara,even though it might not exist.

Also the Strathmore tiara,I dont think shes ever worn that tiara.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Commoner

Here's a link to the interview with Lady Pamela. It does sound as if the Queen had worn a different tiara than that which she'd originally planned.

Royal Wedding: Being a Royal Bridesmaid Video - ABC News
Old 04-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenw View Post
Here's a link to the interview with Lady Pamela. It does sound as if the Queen had worn a different tiara than that which she'd originally planned.

Royal Wedding: Being a Royal Bridesmaid Video - ABC News
Thanks you for the video! My guess would then be since she said Queen Mary had giver her a tiara that she was going to wear, then she probably intended to wear the girls of great Britain & Ireland tiara if that's the one that snapped in half.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
What tiara would you like to see her wear?I would like her to wear the Loop tiara,even though it might not exist.
The Loop tiara definitely does not exist, it was broke down and the diamonds were used in the Delhi Durbar tiara. The Strathmore Tiara is in very poor condition unless it's being restored and Catherine can wear, I can only hope.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
Thanks you for the video! My guess would then be since she said Queen Mary had giver her a tiara that she was going to wear, then she probably intended to wear the girls of great Britain & Ireland tiara if that's the one that snapped in half.
There was an article sometime over the last few months (since the engagement) where they were looking at all the possibilities for Catherine.

The Fringe was mentioned as that chosen by Princess Elizabeth along with the story of how it broke on the day of the wedding but was repair almost immediately and was worn as planned. They went on to mention how the Princess Royal had worn it for her wedding and whether Zara would wear it as well.

They were talking about one choice, one tiara, and that was Queen Mary's 1919 Fringe.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
I can clearly hear Lady Pamela saying that after the tiara broke "so, in fact her MOTHER(QElizabeth the QM) produced another lovely tiara...." just listen carefully!

And it makes sense because the Fringe tiara was at that time in the possession of OEQM, so she could have loaned it, not Queen Mary.
Confusing.....
Old 04-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

If you look at Elizabeth's wedding photo, you can clearly see where the Fringe tiara broke and was quickly prepared. I've always thought the off-kilter tiara added a certain charm to it and took away its usual harshness.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Royal Highness

SBS Video Player

Does anybody recognize the tiara QE II is wearing towards the end of this video?

I made a screencap of it but can't figure out how to post it. It sort of looks like the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara but with something else in the loops other than pearls or emeralds.

EDIT: Never mind. I think it actually might be the GDV tiara with the emeralds. You just can't see them, and the loops look much narrower than other photos I've seen of it. And she is wearing the rest of the Cambridge and Delhi Durbar Parure as well.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:01 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
I can clearly hear Lady Pamela saying that after the tiara broke "so, in fact her MOTHER(QElizabeth the QM) produced another lovely tiara...." just listen carefully!

And it makes sense because the Fringe tiara was at that time in the possession of OEQM, so she could have loaned it, not Queen Mary.
Confusing.....
I know that the fringe was her mothers, but in the beginning she says Queen Mary gave her a tiara as a gift that she was going to wear, the only tiara Queen Mary gave her was the girls of great Britain and Ireland.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Better images of the tassle diamond necklace HM wore to the pre-wedding reception.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected
Old 05-12-2011, 03:39 AM
Nobility

Is it this necklace which can be worn with the emerald tassle instead of the diamonds?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
Is it this necklace which can be worn with the emerald tassle instead of the diamonds?
Not sure, I suspect the emerald tassle necklace is a different one.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Serene Highness

Crown Jewels

The Royal Wedding - TODAY
Old 05-13-2011, 01:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
No, this is the gold tassel semi parure first seen in Morocco and suspected of being a gift from The King of Morocco.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:06 PM
Administrator

They form part of a diamonds set in gold "tassel" parure sometimes referred to as the 'King Hassan lace diamonds', first seen in Morocco some years ago.

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras