Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Elizabeth selected the pieces when she became Queen Consort in 1937 and wore them until her death. They returned to the Crown and can only be worn in right of it by a Queen.

What an interestingly and completely wrong thing to say. Anyone can wear any jewels that aren't the Crown Jewels (the various crowns, scepters, etc etc). Of course, HM would be unlikely to lend out her personal jewels willy-nilly, but that doesn't mean that there's something saying only she is permitted to wear them. For example, look at how many things she's let Camilla borrow.

What an interestingly and completely wrong thing to say. Anyone can wear any jewels that aren't the Crown Jewels (the various crowns, scepters, etc etc). Of course, HM would be unlikely to lend out her personal jewels willy-nilly, but that doesn't mean that there's something saying only she is permitted to wear them. For example, look at how many things she's let Camilla borrow.

Queen Victoria designated a number of pieces to "be worn by all future Queens by right". These include the Albert Sapphire Brooch, The Double Bar brooch, The Jubilee Necklace, The State Diadem, the Oriental Circlet and a number of other pieces. On the death of Queen Alexandra in the 1920s a number of items that had been her wedding gifts were added to the list by Queen Mary.

The ginormous brooch also belonged to Q.Victoria and was the center part of a three part stomacher. Q.Alexandra and Q. Mary both wore the whole thing for their coronations while QEQM only wore the center part.
I was thinking the necklace and earrings must of been part of the opal jewelry own by Q. Victoria that was reset with rubies by Q.Alexandra, and not a wedding present to QEII from her father as Hello Magazine claimed (she got sapphire jewelry from her father on her wedding). According to Amazon.com: The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II: Her Personal Collection: Leslie Field: Books Q. Mary never wore them because her first fiance gave her a ruby engagement ring, but QEQM wore them. Plus it also "ties" the jewelry together nicely - Burmese Rubies in the tiara, earrings, and necklace; earrings, necklace and brooch orginally belonged to Q. Victoria.
As to Q. Alexandra's superstition that opals bring bad luck, my mother claims that's only for people who wear it who weren't born in October, the month for which opal is the precious birthstone. Of course she was born in October so.......:lol:

Here are two pictures with Mr. Chirac and one from a different occasion, where Her Majesty was wearing the Godman necklace:
In the DVD Queens castle- the banquet, the necklace looks lovely, it is really one of my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Godman necklace with the Vladimir emerald drop tiara--well, I think it is a simply perfect marriage.

Dont forget the earings- the large drops I think not the cab buttons.

In the preface, I believe, when Munn is talking about having sent letters out to different families; he recalls sending one to the Harewoods asking delicatly is they had anything of royal provenance and the current countess responded that they only had the one tiara, a small thing, visably seen in Winterhalter's painting of Queen Victoria.
It really is a delightful little story

What a gorgeous tiara. And that's something she should be wearing now--the contrast of the emeralds (admittedly with their old cut that won't catch the light at all) against HM's white hair would be stunning.

it's true! altough it would look nice with amethysts too. but the emeralds look astounding!

Who is the Lady at the opening of the Parliament with the emerald tiara?

Noldorlord, the emerald tiara you posted is not the one I was referring to as being in the preface of Munn. But, it is one of QV's tiaras designed for her Prince Albert--but while we know it is still intact we don't know who owns it (Well, Munn does but he's respecting the owners--who are descendents of QV's, wishes)--the tiara I spoke of, which was given to The PRincess Royal, Mary by her mother Queen Mary, is the small, gothic sapphire tiara designed by Prince Albert. Interestly, the Harewoods sold pretty much everything to pay death duties (including several other tiaras, a necklace of QV, etc...) but, they did manage to keep this one. Here it is:
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/tiaras/images/diamond_sapphire.jpg

Last edited:
I think this bracelet resembles the honey comb design bracelet left to the Queen by Princess Marie-Louise.

I wonder if this is a replica?

I would doubt somewhat that HM would wear a replica of the engagement ring that her son gave to the woman who (in their eyes) brought so much heartache to the Royal Family.

I have a feeling that this ring is part of the sapphire set that King George VI gave to his daughter as a wedding gift.

It may well be part of the sapphire suite, but I don't think the shape matches up exactly:
Google Image Result for http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/64/164/1/2/75/542610275isqEBq_th.jpg

but, let's be honest--this isn't exactly a one-of-a-kind ring. Camilla has one like it, too. I really doubt that the possessor of one of the most magnificant collections of jewels would riffle through her deceased daughter-in-law's jewel box looking for a ring to wear.
Odd for HM to choose to wear a sapphire ring with the ruby tiara----she usually matches up better than that

Look at the Queen's right hand, doesn't this look awfully close to Princess Diana's sapphire engagement ring? I wonder if this is a replica? Does anyone have any info on it?
http://english.people.com.cn/200604/21/images/0420_B26.jpg

Looking at the shade of HM hair in this photo I would hazard a guess that it was taken while Diana was alive! Therefore it would not be Diana's ring or a copy. I would say that this ring has been made from the removed link of HM wedding gift necklace. The shape would only come into context if HM was presenting her hand front on for inspection.

Odd for HM to choose to wear a sapphire ring with the ruby tiara----she usually matches up better than that
Me too, I was surprised the Queen would wear a dark stone ring when she is so obviously wearing a ruby set, that one reason why I noticed the ring so much. It may not even be a sapphire it could be an emerald or another dark stone but it is an oval shape with diamonds surrounding it which was a lot like Diana's.

I am pretty sure this is not Diana's ring, I doubt she would have lent it to her mother in law to wear. But the reason why I mentioned her was because it looked a lot like her engagement ring. It is probably a ring from the sapphire suite but maybe it's been a tweaked a little bit. I wonder if she has worn this ring before?

The ring is a ruby which matches her ruby necklaces etc. Hard to find a clear picture as HM often wears gloves - I know I've seen a recent photo of it clearly looking dark red, but I'm sorry I can't find it at present...

Thank you, GillW. I know that you have an extensive data base of HM pieces and if you say it's a ruby that is all I need to hear--Thanks!

Noldorlord- That is the emerals tiara of QV I was talking about. If the Countess of HArewood is in that pic wearing that tiara could we not assume that she ownes it. I dont see someone else loaning it to hear unless QEII has it.

Noldorlord- That is the emerals tiara of QV I was talking about. If the Countess of HArewood is in that pic wearing that tiara could we not assume that she ownes it. I dont see someone else loaning it to hear unless QEII has it.
Noldorlord's first picture is the emerald tiara of Queen Victoria's.
But, the Harewood's do not own that tiara ,nor does QEII. The Harewood's ONLY own the small sapphire and diamond tiara:
http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/microsites/tiaras/images/diamond_sapphire.jpg
which Munn discusses on page 12 of the full length edition of "Tiaras: A History of Splendor".
In Munn on pages 72-75 there are wonderful photos of the tiara; on in a portrait of the Queen and family, one of a granddaughter borrowing the tiara, and one remarkable closeup. On page 77 Munn discusses how the diara was made by Kitching in 1845 for a cost of 1150 pounds. He further states that the tiara survives intact in the hands of a descedent of Queen Victoria who lent it to Wartski for the 1997 exhibition. The Harewood's do not own the emerald tiara.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom