The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think she did - but it was loaned to her from the then Queen wasn't it - so it wasn't hers to wear (as it was her something borrowed for the wedding) and the Queen Mum then loaned it again to Princess Anne for her wedding. The Queen Mum did wear it after the Queen's accession, but didn't wear it for years after that. So I guess it is ripe for a reapparance soon isn't it, now that the Queen is digging some of the QM's jewels out of the vault. Perhaps it's in storage for Kate? If so, I reckon Kate is going to have a vast haul - as we seem to be hoping that rather a lot is waiting for her don't we!!

Old 11-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

The tiara The Queen wore on her wedding day was borrowed from Queen Mary and convertible to a necklace and she has worn it as such from time to time. The tiara Princess Anne wore was the George III Fringe Tiara borrowed from The Queen Mother.

They are not the same pieces.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I thought the George III was the tiara worn for the weddings of Elizabeth and Anne and that there was another fringe tiara that could be worn as a necklace.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:11 AM
Commoner

Actually, they are[ the same pieces. According to Field's The Queen's Jewels, The George III fringe originally belonged to Queen Victoria. She left it to the Crown, and has been worn by all subsequent queens. The QM "owned it" as queen when her daughter was married, and the lending of the tiara came from her, not Queen Mary. HM wore it at her wedding, and the QM lent it to Princess Anne for her wedding. It can also be converted into a necklace, but I've never seen pictures of it.

Are you thinking of the kokoshnik tiara? It's also a fringe tiara, but a bit different.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
And, let's not forget about the gorgeous, and I do mean gorgeous, emerald necklace of Queen Victoria's that the Queen Mother hogged for all these years; it would be nice to see this make an appearance:
Such a shame that HM no longer has the beautiful emerald tiara of Queen Victorias to wear with it.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Aristocracy

So on the QM's death, the George III (which hadn't been worn by her since the 50's I reckon?) went to the vault then... Wonder when it'll reappear. You'd think the Queen might have dug it back out, seeing as it has such a sentimental history for her....
Old 11-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowed_rain View Post
Actually, they are[ the same pieces. According to Field's The Queen's Jewels, The George III fringe originally belonged to Queen Victoria. She left it to the Crown, and has been worn by all subsequent queens. The QM "owned it" as queen when her daughter was married, and the lending of the tiara came from her, not Queen Mary. HM wore it at her wedding, and the QM lent it to Princess Anne for her wedding. It can also be converted into a necklace, but I've never seen pictures of it.

Are you thinking of the kokoshnik tiara? It's also a fringe tiara, but a bit different.

When it was discussed on the Royal Jewels MB some time ago it was said that the fringe tiara of Queen Victoria was given to the Princess Royal mary who owned 2 fringe tiaras. Queen mary had another one made for herself which she later gave to Queen Elizabeth. It was this one who was worn by the present Queen and Princess Anne on their Wedding Days.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Aristocracy

Hallo, I'm new here and this is my first post. From a few years I've been reading the threads on this site and especialy the ones about royal jewels.

I know it's difficult to tell the fringe tiaras apart, because they're so many and so much alike. In 2007 The royal Collectin had an exibition established to mark the Diamond Wedding Anniversary of The Queen and Prince Philip. One of the items featured was the fringe tiara worn by The Queen (then Pss Elizabrth) and later by Anne, Princess Royal.

Here is the describtion of the tiara: "This tiara (which can also be worn as a necklace) was made for Queen Mary in 1919. It is not, as has sometimes been claimed, made with diamonds that had belonged to George III but re-uses diamonds taken from a necklace/tiara purchased by Queen Victoria from Collingwood & Co as a wedding present for Queen Mary in 1893. In August 1936 Queen Mary gave the tiara to Queen Elizabeth, from whom it was borrowed by Princess Elizabeth for her wedding in 1947."

Link - Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

I belive The Roayl Collection is more accurate when it comes to jewels/items from HM's private collection, don't you think so?
I don't know about Queen Victoria's fringe - From what I've read it was either left to The Crown or at some time given to Mary, Princess Royal.

Bobby
Old 11-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator

I am just becoming interested in teh royal jewels and this tiara look awfully familiar. It looks like the tiara that belonged to the Marina, Duchess of Kent and the current Duchess. Are they just that similiar?

Old 11-12-2009, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
I am just becoming interested in teh royal jewels and this tiara look awfully familiar. It looks like the tiara that belonged to the Marina, Duchess of Kent and the current Duchess. Are they just that similiar?
The fringe design was very popular not only in the UK. There is also a fringe tiara in the Princely Family of liechtenstein though it was not seen since a lot of years, in Denmark Queen Alexadrine had a fringe tiara which is now in the posession of Count Ingolf of Rosenborg and so on.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Okay..thanks. That makes sense.

I recently acquired Tiaras, and I saw the tiara on Duchess Nicholas of Russia and Marina, Duchess of Kent. Didn't realize that the Queen married in a simliar tiara.

I just ordered the Queen's Jewels...I can't wait to get it!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Aristocracy

You will love it. I have 2 versions an american and the australian there are some extra photos in one
Old 11-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post

I recently acquired Tiaras, and
Oh, you meant Munn's gorgeous book! When reading your post I first though that you really acquired a couple of real bejewelled tiaras and it felt like dying of envy! I guess I read my own wishes for myself into your post

By the way, the Swedish RF has another fringe tiara which is often worn by Victoria, Benedikte often wears the fringe tiara of the Berleburg family, Marie Chantal of Greece owns another one which most likely was bought for her by her father.
There are so many out there, maybe that is why QE II does not wear hers? Too awfully common?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator

prince.of.preslav welcome to the Forums and thanks for an informative debut post. May there be many more such posts! !

As to fringe tiaras, Caroline of Monaco has a Monaco fringe and access to a Hanover fringe; Queen Sirikit of Thailand also has a grand fringe tiara; Princess Benedikte wears the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg fringe tiara as Tilia C. mentioned above. They are probably the most common tiara design and it seems that almost every royal and noble family in Europe had at least one in their jewellery collection at some stage. They may all look much the same but they have an advantage in versatility as some of the fringe tiaras - though not all - can convert to necklaces.
On a side note, the Mary, Princess Royal fringe tiara ended up with the Duke of Westminster.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I received the Queen's Jewels last Friday and I guarantee you will love it.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Nobility

For the State Opening 2009, The Queen wore Queen Victoria's collet necklace with matching earrings. Nice! Because I don't like the 'heavy' Queen Mary's pendant earrings, combined with Queen Victoria's Jubilee Necklace, seen last year.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator

This link, courtesy of Al_bina in the British Forums, has some very good jewels pics:

--> State Opening of Parliament 2009

Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She looks stunning as always decked out in jewels.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Stunning is an understatement. I really cant think of anyone else who can carry such majesty in an elegant way. I think this is the first time I've seen or noticed her wearing the Queen Victoria set. Does she only wear it and the Diadem for the State Openings? Breathtaking.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Nobility

Yes, indeed, she wears the King George IV State Diadem only during the Carriage

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras