Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Warren - I am very sorry but you mixed up two seperate pieces here...
Thanks Boris for correcting this so quickly. I've amended the post to show the correct pic. :)

CAN YOU HELP..Queen Elizabeth ll portrait

Hi my name is Russ Ingram i am a portrait artist
I am currently painting the Queen on a very large canvas for a hotel but i have a problem...
I have no close up photo's of tiara etc that HM was depicted on the Anne Leobovitch portraits the photo looking out of the window to the leftphoto
I dont even know what they are called
PLEASE can you help?
Thanks
russ:bang:

please view attatchment

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Russ

The attachments have been removed because they are copyrighted images and hosting them in the Forums breaches both copyright law and the Forum rules.

The tiara in question is the Girls of Great Britain tiara, HM's favourite.
The tiara is of two parts:
the tiara
and
the tiara with lozenge base attached

Nowadays it is always worn with the base attached.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
warren

Many many thanks Warren...so sorry about the mistake.
Will send pic of finished oil painting in a few months
Cheers
Russ

Does anyone know what necklace and earrings she is wearing during the state banquet in Slovakia Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected.

I feel like I should know what they are as they look very familiar, but it's late and I'm too tired to dig out my copy of Field to look. I must say she looks stunning, very vibrant!! Thank you in advance!

The necklace and earring HM is wearing to the state banquet in Slovakia are marvellous, I'll be interested to read more about them.

Diamond necklace

Here is a better view of the diamond necklace HM wore in Slovakia. It is not mentioned in either book by Leslie Field or Suzy Menks.

The necklace is not new:
old pic

¤

The Queen just has the most breathtaking jewels. The necklace is not familiar to me. Does anyone know anything about the ruby cabachon brooch she was wearing yesterday? Warren???

According to GillW here, it's the Queen Mother's Australian ruby and diamond hibiscus brooch.

The Queen just has the most breathtaking jewels. The necklace is not familiar to me. Does anyone know anything about the ruby cabachon brooch she was wearing yesterday? Warren???

When you mention ruby cabochon, did you mean the diamond & ruby flower on the red coat (which is the Australian Hibiscus, originally [probably] a gift from Australia to the Queen Mother) or did you mean the contemporary gold with carved rubies worn on the brownish outfit when HM visited the horses?

If the latter, this is a gold design, set with diamonds and carved rubies which stones were formerly part of an Indian head ornament, and made by the modern jeweler Andrew Grima in 1966. It was one of 12 pieces which, as a collection, had won the 1966 Duke of Edinburgh's Prize for Elegant Design & Prince Phillip liked it so much he bought it for his wife.
:flowers:

I really wish the Queen to have many more years, yet I can't help but wonder to wom she will bequeath all these jewels, I hope the countess of Wessex will receive her share.

I really wish the Queen to have many more years, yet I can't help but wonder to wom she will bequeath all these jewels, I hope the countess of Wessex will receive her share.
And Princess Anne, too.:flowers:
Actually I hope neither are bequeathed anything more than a personal keepsake!

I hope she leaves all her personal jewelry to her son, King Charles in a Sovereign to Sovereign transfer just as Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother did to her daughter Queen Elizabeth. That way all this precious history is not diminished and lost to the BRF.

I also (fervantly) hope that he will be a little more ready to loan these goodies to his immediate family. Then we would see all the royal ladies appropriately bedecked whenever the need arises, as is the case in Sweden.

Is this Diana's Engagement Ring?

In 2004 Sergey Pevlenko did an exhibition “History in Portraits”. In his painting of Queen Elizabeth, it looks like the Queen is wearing Princess Diana’s sapphire and diamond engagement ring. Has anyone seen this yet, and if so, can you confirm if the Queen is indeed wearing Princess Diana’s engagement ring?

I thought William inherited Diana’s jewellery?

Sergey Pevlenko’s Site:

History in Portraits 1

(Portrait Enlarged) History in Portraits 2

Last edited by a moderator:
I seem to recall we've been over this before. The ring was found to have been a ruby and it was thought that it came from the Queen Mothers' estate.

How could anyone imagine that the Queen would wear Diana's engagement ring?
We're used to hearing spurious claims that Camilla has rifled through Diana's jewellery box, but this one is something else.

I seem to recall we've been over this before. The ring was found to have been a ruby and it was thought that it came from the Queen Mothers' estate.

.... and even if it was not a ruby ring but indeed one oin sapphres and diamonds, it is entirely possible the Queen may have a similar one in the vaults. She has a wondeful parure of sapphires and diamonds (referred to aas the George VI sapphires), so there may well be a ring matching with that, which could have been mistaken.

How could anyone imagine that the Queen would wear Diana's engagement ring?
We're used to hearing spurious claims that Camilla has rifled through Diana's jewellery box, but this one is something else.

Hey, they're letting Camilla wear the Queen Mum's African diamond tiara, if that ain't a kick in the teeth, I dunno what it is. I was only asking a question though because I stumbled across that portrait a long time ago and did ask about it on a different royal site, but no one could confirm it or not. I stumbled across the portrait again, and just wanted to ask again to find out if anyone else knew anything about this, or if any further info. has been found out.

Thing is, I wouldn't be surprised what these people are capable of doing to each other. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge monarchist. I love their history, but come on, when the Russian Royal Family was asking for help from the British Royal Family, the British Royal Family turned their backs. And then you see them wearing tiaras they bought from the Russian Royal Family estate? Nice message that sent. We won't save ya, but we'll definitely purchase your jewels? Nice family relations there I tell ya.

By "they" you mean The Queen, right? Since it was The Queen who loaned the tiara to Camilla.
So you're saying The Queen is kicking her late mother in the teeth?

By "they" you mean The Queen, right? Since it was The Queen who loaned the tiara to Camilla.
So you're saying The Queen is kicking her late mother in the teeth?

I thought Charles inherited all of the Queen Mum's belongings? So wouldn't it be Charles allowing Camilla to wear it? Doesn't matter whether it's the Queen or Charles lending it out though; the point is, the Queen Mum stood for so much, and came with so much history, witnessed many worldly events, and then to let Camilla wear that tiara? That's a slap in the face to the Queen Mum. Everyone knew how the Queen Mum felt about Wallis Simpson. The Queen Mum blamed Wallis Simpson for her husband's death because he was never trained to be King. So yes, it's a slap in the face, a kick in the teeth to the Queen Mum, because Camilla is everything the Queen Mum was against. If anything, Princess Anne is more worthy of wearing that tiara than Camilla will ever be.

I thought Charles inherited all of the Queen Mum's belongings? So wouldn't it be Charles allowing Camilla to wear it?
Facts are a good place to start before allowing emotional responses to take over.
To avoid death duties the Queen Mother's estate passed to her daughter in a Sovereign-to-Sovereign transfer.
The tiara was loaned to Camilla by The Queen.
Now, what was that about "a slap in the face, a kick in the teeth to the Queen Mum"?

The Honeycomb Diamond Tiara was not part of the royal collection anyway. It was made for Mrs. Greville by Boucheron and then left to her good friend, The Queen Mother, after her death. In 1949, she added the diamond arches on the top using unset stones given to her by Queen Mary.

I don't think letting Camilla use it is a "kick in the teeth". It belongs to The Queen, who has allowed her daughter-in-law to wear it.

Hey, they're letting Camilla wear the Queen Mum's African diamond tiara, if that ain't a kick in the teeth, I dunno what it is. I was only asking a question though because I stumbled across that portrait a long time ago and did ask about it on a different royal site, but no one could confirm it or not. I stumbled across the portrait again, and just wanted to ask again to find out if anyone else knew anything about this, or if any further info. has been found out.

Thing is, I wouldn't be surprised what these people are capable of doing to each other. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge monarchist. I love their history, but come on, when the Russian Royal Family was asking for help from the British Royal Family, the British Royal Family turned their backs. And then you see them wearing tiaras they bought from the Russian Royal Family estate? Nice message that sent. We won't save ya, but we'll definitely purchase your jewels? Nice family relations there I tell ya.

The Russian comments are a whole other thread, but had the King realized that the Russians were actually going to be killed--all of them--it may hvae been a different story. Perhaps Queen Mary purchased those jewels so that there would always be a reminder of the connections between the families--she was known to be sentimental about jewelry and its personal connections to her family.
As for whether or not the Queen is wearing Diana's engagement ring--as I recall the Queen considered Diana's selection to be a touch gaudy--it was much larger than the one shown. Also, the sapphire surrounded by diamonds is hardly a unique design so I am confident in saying that HM Queen Elizabeth II may in fact possess a ring similar in design.

Her Royal Highness The Princess Charles Philip Arthur George, Princess of Wales and Countess of Chester, Duchess of Cornwall, Duchess of Rothesay, Countess of Carrick, Baroness of Renfrew, Lady of the Isles, Princess of Scotland, or simply put, Camilla, is in fact either the next Queen Consort or the Princess Consort. As such, she is entitled to wear whatever the Queen allows her to wear--and the tiaras she has worn were left to the Queen in a sovereign to sovereign transfer to avoid taxes. Who else would be wearing the Delhi Durbar tiara anyway?It was made for a Queen.

Hey, they're letting Camilla wear the Queen Mum's African diamond tiara, if that ain't a kick in the teeth, I dunno what it is.

Why is it a kick in the teeth? Camilla will be Quieen, so it is only natural she wear jewels associated with her predecessors.

As regards your comments about Wallis, Camilla is hardly Wallis Simpson!

Perhaps Queen Mary purchased those jewels so that there would always be a reminder of the connections between the families--she was known to be sentimental about jewelry and its personal connections to her family.

.... but she was also known to be very aggressive when it came to wanting to acquire some jewels, and was known to have sharp elbows when it came to getting to the finishing line to acquire some jewels she wanted.

ue

.... but she was also known to be very aggressive when it came to wanting to acquire some jewels, and was known to have sharp elbows when it came to getting to the finishing line to acquire some jewels she wanted.

Once again, yet another reason she is my favorite jewel bedecked Queen :crown8:

We need a picture for diamond rivieres, by the way.

Facts are a good place to start before allowing emotional responses to take over.
To avoid death duties the Queen Mother's estate passed to her daughter in a Sovereign-to-Sovereign transfer.
The tiara was loaned to Camilla by The Queen.
Now, what was that about "a slap in the face, a kick in the teeth to the Queen Mum"?

I'm not responding by emotion, I'm stating what's been documented throughout history, and maybe there are still some people out there, like me, who believe in old school family values. Such as, I don't care what a person's title or position is in life, and I don't care if this is an unwritten documentation throughout history, that all Prince of Wales title holders are known for having affairs. Well no, that's wrong to me. So I don't know what's more wrong. Wallis Simpson for being an alleged gold digger, or Charles and Camilla for having adulterous affairs. Either way, all three are right up there on the immoral list.

Kind of responding to some other posts while I'm at it here too. And I admitted I didn't know the exact facts which is why I asked in question form in a previous post, "I thought Charles inherited all of the Queen Mum's belongings?" I thought this because his official residence is Clarence House, is it not? So please don't go shoving words in my mouth and make it sound like I know what I'm talking about, especially when I asked in question form, and used the word "thought". And nope, I don't think Charles is ever going to see the throne either, and I think there's a lot of other people out there who think the same.

My opinion is my opinion, and yours is yours. I respect yours even though I may not agree with it. I still don't care who inherited what, or who loaned what out. My point is, it's a kick in the teeth to the Queen Mum. Plain and simple, that's just what I think, and it's a dishonour to the Queen Mum's memory.

As for the whole Russian Royal Family bit.... Okay, fine, there's a separate message board addressing that entire issue. Warren asked "Who would imagine the Queen wearing Diana's engagement ring?" So I used the Russian Royal Family scenario as an example to state, hey, if they can do what they did to the Romanov's, it wouldn't surprise me if the Queen was wearing Diana's engagement ring in that portrait. When the public hears about, or reads stories like these, among other statements, such as "The knives are out for Fergie at Buckingham Palace." and all that yahoo, it sets the precedent for public imagination as to how possibly mean any Royal Family can be, and let's face it, they are pretty cut throat, and I don't blame them one bit, because as I also mentioned, the British Royal Family has such a rich history to protect and preserve, and each member of it has played vital roles in overcoming historical world events.

I know The Queen was just a movie, but that one line Michael Sheen (Tony Blair) spoke volumes when his character said something to the effect of "Charles won't take the bullet but it's okay for his mother to take it for him?" That's the point I was trying to make. What aren't these people capable of doing to each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom