Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at some of the tribute posts to Her Majesty in honor of her 88th birthday on tumblr, and it got me wondering, what was the first tiara that Her Majesty, probably then still Princess Elizabeth, ever wore?

The first photographs of the then Princess Elizabeth in a tiara are those taken on her wedding day. After this she can be seen photographed in those tiaras which were wedding presents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell that her bouquet consisted of at least stephanotis, those are the flowers that you see hanging down at the bottom of the bouquet. I can't really tell what the large white flowers are, maybe roses?

Frelinghighness and Spheno, Thank you for describing the flowers that made up the coronation bouquet of Queen Elizabeth II.
The replica Coronation bouquet is gorgeous! :yorkrose::yorkrose::yorkrose:

how wonderful spheno, that you found that article about the replica bouquet. It is magnificent!

Coronation Bouquet Brooch

HM also received a brooch which replicates her Coronation Bouquet.

Attachments

• Brooch - Coronation Bouquet - close.jpg
    Brooch - Coronation Bouquet - close.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 252
Nice perspective from the rear; you can really see the workmanship of the tiara's frame. Thank you for the photo and the watermark isn't in the way at all.

Last edited:
Great photo today of the GOGBAI tiara from the back. Sorry it has the watermark - but a really good look from behind. http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/48...5ydpT5l8sK1uqBcHkQmOGPo9q8BrM/6+gCFlvxRP3NQ==

It's not over the area you're pointing out, so no worries and great find!!

I loved watching Charles both greet and farewell his Mother w/kisses on the cheek and then her hand in the one video I saw w/one of the articles of the Service. There's a link to it over in the British Royal Family Events thread. I think the one about how there were changes made due to The Queen having problems w/the steps during the rehearsal the day before IIRC. There's also really great footage of the back of the GoGBaI tiara during the last bit of it as HM is chatting to the PoW before she leaves. I could have sworn I saw a quick glimpse of the elastic that's across the gap at the back of the Tiara too, but don't ask me when as I'm not entirely sure I really saw it now. Sure thought I had when I watched it the first time though.

How did the Queen wear the tiara like this? I'm totally intrigued. I've always seen it on her head like a crown, not an actual tiara. :confused:

How did the Queen wear the tiara like this? I'm totally intrigued. I've always seen it on her head like a crown, not an actual tiara. :confused:

It appears "like a crown" in most photos, but there is a band of elastic between the ends, which do not meet, the way the Queen wears it.

The band is made to match The Queens hair and it probably fits nice and tight.

I just love the elastics! Like most granny's I know QEII has elastics somewhere for practical reasons and I'm sure she must have neatly folded paper napkins in every available pocket like my granny has too

...I could have sworn I saw a quick glimpse of the elastic that's across the gap at the back of the Tiara too, but don't ask me when as I'm not entirely sure I really saw it now. Sure thought I had when I watched it the first time though.
In the photo AdmirerUS posted you can see a bit of the elastic.

Earlier "tiara" wearing

I was looking at some of the tribute posts to Her Majesty in honor of her 88th birthday on tumblr, and it got me wondering, what was the first tiara that Her Majesty, probably then still Princess Elizabeth, ever wore?

While Idmemail is absolutely right in that HM first wore a tiara her own wedding, I did happen across this photo from the early 1940's when Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret used to participate in their Christmas pantomimes.

Here is a glimpse of things to follow as Pns Elizabeth dons a kokoshnik style "tiara".

Attachments

• Tiara - Pantamine 1944.jpg
    Tiara - Pantamine 1944.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 377
I took Princepatrick's post to mean an actual jewelled tiara as opposed to a fabric headdress from a stage costume.

For the French state banquet, HM used the coronation necklace and the GGB&I tiara.

v
Elizabeth II at The Elysée Palace Banquet, June 2014

Thumbnail images form small portions of much larger cropped photographs

Attachments

• EIIR Paris 1.jpg
    EIIR Paris 1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 290
  • EIIR Paris 2.jpg
    EIIR Paris 2.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,169
  • EIIR Paris 3.jpg
    EIIR Paris 3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,099
I will never tire seeing the GGBI tiara, and HM surely is never tired of wearing it! :D

Wow! Breathtakingly stunning and gorgeous! That necklace is beyond words!

When her time comes, we can be certain the Duchess of Cornwall will bring these astonishing jewels in from their [prolonged] period 'out in the cold'...

When her time comes, we can be certain the Duchess of Cornwall will bring these astonishing jewels in from their [prolonged] period 'out in the cold'...

I so do hope so. Camilla certainly has the presence to put them to good use.

The Queen's vault of jewels are something Camilla and Catherine should just dive into, adjust them to their liking and wear them. Stuff that look too overwhelming, change them up and rock "Brenda's Rocks."

adjust them to their liking

Bit of a fundamental misunderstanding of how an HISTORIC JEWEL collection works there IMHO...

And would your MIL/GMIL look kindly on you swiping items from HER collection. and altering them ?

Bit of a fundamental misunderstanding of how an HISTORIC JEWEL collection works there IMHO...

And would your MIL/GMIL look kindly on you swiping items from HER collection. and altering them ?

Many of the jewels are very versatile; The Queen, Queen Mary and Queen Mother were known to play around with the jewels every now and then. There's nothing wrong with Camilla and Catherine doing the same. I'm talking about once they are Princess Consort and Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom