Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Artemisia. I really like the asymmetry of the dangling pieces.

Wouldn't it just? Every time I see Camilla wearing her turquoise demi-parure, I keep longing for a tiara to match. The Persian Tiara alone would have been wonderful, but the entire parure? I'd be in turquoise heaven.

I love turquoise jewelry, it seems not a lot of people on royal websites like turquoise tiaras and such, but I adore them!!:flowers:

Don't like turquoise at all. The demi-parure does absolutely nothing for me.

About a week ago someone inquired about the necklace worn by Sophie for the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria. That sparked a bit of a research which led to one discovery and two mysteries.

There are five very similar necklaces in the Queen's jewellery collection which often get confused with each other. Well, actually one of them has been worn by only by the Countess of Wessex but I assume it may be a loan from Queen Elizabeth.

Attached pictures:
1 - The Queen's King Fahd Diamond Necklace
2 - The Queen's King Faisal Diamond Necklace
3 - The Queen's King Khalid Diamond Necklace
4 - The Queen's Even Fringe Diamond Necklace
5 - The Countess of Wessex's Mystery Necklace

Cropped from larger images

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 300
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 399
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 274
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:
Those necklaces are just so beautiful; it would be hard put for me to choose which is my favorite. They all have a delicate design with interesting shaped diamonds. Thanks for the compilation, Artemisia, it's nice to see them all grouped together since apart they can be confused for each other.

Wouldn't it just? Every time I see Camilla wearing her turquoise demi-parure, I keep longing for a tiara to match. The Persian Tiara alone would have been wonderful, but the entire parure? I'd be in turquoise heaven.

Persian Tiara? I don't think I've ever heard of this piece. Are there any pictures?

There's a great deal of jewels that The Queen haven't dusted off yet. I think Camilla and Catherine should get in those vaults at some point and do some dusting. The Queen & Catherine did for the Royal Wedding.

Not just Camilla and Kate. Sophie too!! Then again, considering what she wore Tiara and necklace wise to the Luxembourg Wedding in October, maybe that's already happened?

I can't comment on the relative comfort of the Boucheron vs the Delhi Durbar as I have not worn either of them myself ,

Oh if only, huh Muriel? I think I'm safe in saying that the majority of us would literally leap really high in joy if we were given a chance to experience wearing either one of those beauties. Of course JMO, but...:)

but as regards the Teck Crescent tiara, we do not know how long ago it was loaned to Camilla. The fact that it was loaned was only revealed when The Queen's Diamonds was published last summer. Since then, there have been at 2 state visits to the UK, and Camilla could have worn the Teck if she so desired. My guess is that it is probably one that she either does not like, or does not suit her.

As regards the Delhi Durbar, my own view (completely unsubstantiated, I hasten to add) is that one of the reasons she does not wear it is because of the sensitivities of the large Indian diaspora in the UK, and large numbers of whom are now influential British subjects. The Indians have long felt that they were subjugated under British rule, and were forced to part with a number of their treasures (including the Kohinoor). The Delhi Durbar is a very potent reminder of that extended period of subjugation that not one that people from a resurgent and confident India particularly relish. Much as I love the tiara and I think it works well for Camilla, I would be surprised if she wore it again in a hurry. Once she is Queen, she may choose to wear it abroad, where domestic sensitivities are less relevant.

First...I *really* need to get my hands on The Queen's Diamonds. It really sounds like such a Must Have for a Royal Library.

Second...Two thoughts about the Teck Crescent Tiara...

I also think due to the design of it, the piece suits a younger person more. I can't exactly explain why I feel like that, I just do and always have since I first learned of this gorgeous thing. Maybe the design comes across to me as "young"? I don't know, but that's just what my instincts have always told me.

Also, judging from the pictures I've seen of it, it's not a "big" tiara. More medium sized and...Now this is something I never thought I'd say about Camilla....Size wise I don't think it would suit her. W/her face shape, I would have thought that in the past before she ever did wear a tiara, the Teck Crescent would have been good match for her.

Then she wore the Boucheron and the Deilhi Durbar and I realized I had been wrong about her face structure and big tiaras. They really do look amazing on her, and now I think a smaller in design Tiara compared to those two, wouldn't suit her at all. I'm just going on instinct here and my limited knowledge of the Teck Crescent, but maybe I'd feel differently after seeing Camilla wear it. I certainly did after seeing just how amazing the "big gun tiaras" looked on her after all.

All of this being JMO. :flowers:

#3 and #5 look the same to me.
They aren't though. Have a look at a larger picture of number 3 necklace and number 5.
You'll see several marked differences:
- The base of N3 consists of a slightly larger brilliant flanked by smaller ones at each side, while N5 has brilliants of the same size.
- The fringes don't match either. N5 has 4-row fringe, N3 has 3-row one and in different designs. The smaller fringes of N3 consist of two baguette diamonds with two small brilliants between them, while the smaller fringes of N5 are six marquise-cut diamonds (two at each end, plus four in a cross formation).
- The smallest (3-stone) fringes of N3 go all the way to the back of the necklace, while the ones of N5 stop about halfway through.

These are definitely different necklaces, and N5 has only been worn by Sophie (I have consulted pictures for the past 3 decades of the Queen's reign and she has almost definitely not worn it from 1960s onwards).

Attachments

• tumblr_mfrpyde5BV1qh84iyo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mfrpyde5BV1qh84iyo1_1280.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 241
A necklace from the Queen's collection that has never actually been worn but is nevertheless one of the most important pieces she owns.

For a (relatively) brief story of the necklace, have a look at this article: The Timur Ruby Necklace
For a (much) longer article on the stone itself and how it founds its way into the British vaults, check out this article: The Timur Ruby

Resized from larger images

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 313
  • capture11.jpg
    capture11.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 259
:previous:
I agree, that's one of my favourite bracelets of Her Majesty!

A necklace from the Queen's collection that has never actually been worn but is nevertheless one of the most important pieces she owns.

For a (relatively) brief story of the necklace, have a look at this article: The Timur Ruby Necklace
For a (much) longer article on the stone itself and how it founds its way into the British vaults, check out this article: The Timur Ruby

Resized from larger images

Artemisia - have you seen this necklace in person? I was surprised at how kinked the necklace "chain" appears.
But what spectacular stones! If you have seen them, how visible are the inclusions? The Timur Ruby itself looks very clear, but I always see the side stones and feel they are more occluded.
Thanks, as always for sharing. I think I'd love to actually hold this necklace more than any other - just to see the workmanship up close!

With all of those jewels, I sometimes wonder if Queen Mary rattled when she walked. :ROFLMAO:

With all of those jewels, I sometimes wonder if Queen Mary rattled when she walked. :ROFLMAO:

Lol, yeah even Prince Charles remember the noise of his mother's jewels when she used to visit him while he took his bath as a little boy.

Lol, yeah even Prince Charles remember the noise of his mother's jewels when she used to visit him while he took his bath as a little boy.

And his mother is a mere shadow of the mighty Queen Mary when it came to wearing the odd trinket or too!! :)

Artemisia - have you seen this necklace in person? I was surprised at how kinked the necklace "chain" appears.
But what spectacular stones! If you have seen them, how visible are the inclusions? The Timur Ruby itself looks very clear, but I always see the side stones and feel they are more occluded.
Thanks, as always for sharing. I think I'd love to actually hold this necklace more than any other - just to see the workmanship up close!
I wish I had seen it in person but unfortunately, that's not the case. In fact, I'm not even certain it is displayed anywhere at all.

Have a look at this picture which offers a very good magnfication of the necklace and the stone. The ruby does appear to be very clear but I'd say inclusions could be visible in daylight or strong artificial light.

Shame no one has worn it. It's quite something.

I wonder what the inscription on the stone is. Very intriguing and beautiful workmanship on the necklace. A real statement piece, though the stones are not to my taste.

Last edited:
When Queen Mary was completely decked out, and I have seen pics of her wearing Cullinans 1 thru 4 just for starters, how many carets did she walk around wearing.

I wonder what the inscription on the stone is. Very intriguing and beautiful workmanship on the necklace. A real statement piece, though the stones are not to my taste.
Have a look at this article with details on the Timur Ruby.
The spinel is inscribed with the names and dates of six of its previous owners, namely Timur (Tameralne), Akbar, Jahangir, Aurangzeb, Farrukhsiyar, and Ahmad Durrani.

Farrukhsiyar also left an inscription on the stone, which read: “This is the ruby from among the 25,000 authentic jewels of the King of Kings, the Sultan Sahib Qiran [Timur], which in the year 1153 [1740 AD] from the jewels of Hindustan reached this place [Isfahan]."

When Queen Mary was...wearing Cullinans 1 thru 4..., how many carats [were there]?
Cullinan I - Star of Africa, now in the Sceptre with the Cross: 530.2
Cullinan II - Lesser Star of Africa, now in the Imperial State Crown: 317.4
Cullinan III - pear-shaped diamond now part of Granny's Chips (brooch): 94.4
Cullinan IV - square cushion diamond now part of Granny's Chips (brooch): 63.6

Those four alone total almost 1006 carats.

v Cullinans I - IX: glass copies for size comparison
Image courtesy of Wiki and reproduced under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.3
Attribution:
Chris 73 / Wikimedia Commons

Attachments

• Glass Clullinans.jpg
    Glass Clullinans.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 267
^^^^^
So basically just your simple afternoon tea at The Ritz kind of jewellery, nothing too dressy. LOL

That doesn't include the 4 or 5 chokers, bracelets and honors. She must have been blinding in the sun.

Have a look at this article with details on the Timur Ruby.
The spinel is inscribed with the names and dates of six of its previous owners, namely Timur (Tameralne), Akbar, Jahangir, Aurangzeb, Farrukhsiyar, and Ahmad Durrani.

Farrukhsiyar also left an inscription on the stone, which read: “This is the ruby from among the 25,000 authentic jewels of the King of Kings, the Sultan Sahib Qiran [Timur], which in the year 1153 [1740 AD] from the jewels of Hindustan reached this place [Isfahan]."

Thank you as always, Artemisia. I should just head over to your jewel den knowing you more than likely have information on such esoterica!:lol:

When she was wearing all the Cullinans and ropes of other jewels besides, her whole outfit must've been one of the most valuable in history. Taken together, it's hard to think of any other ensemble that would even come close, except maybe some of the Iranian or Russian royals?

I remember Bette Midler met the Queen at the 2009 Royal Variety. Afterwards she said the first thing that hit her when she shook HM's hand was her dazzling diamonds. The only jewellery HM was wearing was a necklace and earrings. I can't imagine what it must've been like to be introduced to Queen Mary when she was dressed to the nines!

I read somewhere that Queen Mary had to have the bodices of her gowns reinforced to carry all those jewels. I can believe it given the amount and weight of the gems she wore at one time. Just have to love the magpie in her!

I always wondered why The Queen and other ladies of the royal family stop wearing tiara's to The Royal Variety Performance and Film Performance?

I always wondered why The Queen and other ladies of the royal family stop wearing tiara's to The Royal Variety Performance and Film Performance?

I guess over the past 2 decades its become a less formal ceremony,I'm not sure what was the last year they stopped wearing tiaras to both events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom