Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Wikipedia page was exceptionally wrong, even for Wikipedia. So many brooches missing, so many tiaras included that are no longer (or were never) hers...

I've just found on the net a picture (3rd on that page princess margaret | Tumblr ) of very young Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret wearing two unknown tiaras. Do you know something about them? I don't even know if they are real jewellery or costume jewellery.

I've just found on the net a picture (3rd on that page princess margaret | Tumblr ) of very young Queen Elizabeth and Princess Margaret wearing two unknown tiaras. Do you know something about them? I don't even know if they are real jewellery or costume jewellery.

In number 11?

Looks like their taking part in a Palace play to me and its just part of their costumes.

Alyend said:

These photographs are of the two Princesses in costume for one of their pantomimes.

I think we all have wondered about how and where the queen keeps all the glittery bits that belong to the monarchy. I am not asking about the crown jewels - we know about them - but I think we all wonder where she keeps all the other inherited and gifted pieces.

In the past few days we saw The Countess of Wessex bring back an aqua tiara not seen since the 60s, to wear at the Luxembourg wedding of Guillaume and Stephanie. Last night we saw The Duchess of Cornwall resurface an amethyst and pearl necklace that was a wedding gift to the Queen Mother and not seen for the better part of a century.

Neither piece seemed to fit Queen EII's taste - but seemed a perfect fit for Sophie and Camilla's styles in jewelry - so it was a winning situation! But how did Sophie and Camilla get connected to those pieces that fit them so well?

I always wonder if the Queen says (for example), "Ladies lets go through the vault together and see what we can find that is a fit for you? How about Sunday, after church?" Or does Sophie hint that she would like to borrow a tiara for the Luxembourg wedding prompting the Queen to tell her to go see her keeper of the tiaras at Sophie's leisure? Or maybe Sophie's people tell the Queen's people that a need for major bling has arisen? Or is it some combination of all or none of those?

I realize we probably will never know but I do imagine this locked door. Inside are shelves and shelves and shelves. On those shelves are hundreds of velvet boxes lined with tarnish proof padding. There are categories - like "Tiaras, too uncomfortable to wear," "Gifts of State, no matter how ugly," and "What was great granny thinking?" There is a "FAVORITES" shelf and the Jardine Star. Queen V's bows, The Girls of Great Britain Tiara and a few others rest there.

I can dream - and I hope this made you all chuckle today! That was the intent. :lol:

playing dress up in Grannys closet taken to a whole new level

You know, I remember when I was a little boy my grangmother had a large, heavy and shiny wooden case. In this case were jewelry she had bought and those that were pasted down to her from family and friends. I used to think my grandmother was rich because in the case were sparkling diamond necklaces, brooches, rings and gold chains. You know stuff that was of great value and not something out of a crackerjack box. Know some of that stuff will be passed on to my future wife.

I'm guessing that if Camilla, Catherine, Sophie, Anne or any female member of the royal family want to borrow some jewelry from The Queen they just ask her and the jewels are provided. I also think Her Majesty give jewels to the new bride before or after the wedding as loaned gifts. That seems to be the tradition of the female members of the royal family.

You know, I remember when I was a little boy my grangmother had a large, heavy and shiny wooden case. In this case were jewelry she had bought and those that were pasted down to her from family and friends.

I think we all have these moments with "the family jewels" and that we treasure them.

I really believe if someone offered me a trip to the jewel vault, or a night out with a prince, I'd take the jewel vault. LOL - but then, I'm no spring chicken! :lol:

I'd really like to be a fly on the wall as the queen was speaking to someone she knew well about all those "missing" pieces of the royal collection of jewels.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^
Thats why the palace checks the auction catalogues for missing items from the palace that people have nicked on their visits.

HM has some amazing tiaras that I have never seen before. This sapphire tiara would look nice on Catherine hehehe

Does anyone know how many personal/private tiaras HM owns?

:previous:

No one does. At least, no one who'd share the information with public. The Queen is purported to have the largest and most valuable private jewellery collection in the world, including the tiara department. But the exact quantity of the tiaras is a mystery.

The necklace and earrings were from her father but the Queen herself bought the tiara in the 60s

Do anyone have some information on this Tiara Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is wearing? Does she still wear it these days?
http://blog.hotmonarchy.com/post/34274615846

It's the tiara her father George VI gave her (along with her sapphire necklace) on her wedding 1947.

Tiara Mania: George VI Sapphire Tiara

The necklace and earrings were from her father but the Queen herself bought the tiara in the 60s

Agreed, the necklace and earrings came from George VI, but the tiara was bought by the Queen herself. It is rumoured to have been a necklace owned by a Belgian princess or heiress, which the Queen bought and put on a frame.

Last edited:
I was just thinking that it was really a necklace on a frame

Oh, I hope so, because that tiara is very pretty.

Angela Kelly has revealed a few secret of dressing Queen Elizabeth II. In the photographs of the Her Majesty's dress' was this delicious shot of her sapphire jewel parure.

I love that there are 3 different rings.

http://i50.tinypic.com/34q1vt0.jpg

Last edited:
That's an interesting view of that tiara -- it's so rare to see their backs. Also...HM keeps her jewels in a shoe box?:huh:

Also...HM keeps her jewels in a shoe box?:huh:

Not sure they are stored in the "shoe box", but merely "served up" when she is to wear them in that pink contraption.

Duke-of-Earl said:
Does anyone know how many personal/private tiaras HM owns?
Possibly upwards of 30.

That's an interesting view of that tiara -- it's so rare to see their backs.
It looks like the tension has been released from the frame and the jewelled portion has "flopped over" and is only attached loosely.
Many tiaras have a locking device or mechanism (often requiring a special tool) which allows the frame's tension to be adjusted.
It's apparent from the picture that when in storage the tension is reduced to near-zero.

Last edited:
Angela Kelly has revealed a few secret of dressing Queen Elizabeth II. In the photographs of the Her Majesty's dress' was this delicious shot of her sapphire jewel parure.

I love that there are 3 different rings.

http://i50.tinypic.com/34q1vt0.jpg
Thank you for that interesting picture, I love seeing the jewels like this. Just sitting there waiting for HM to pick them up and wear them. I also love that there are 3 rings to choose from, because sometimes your just not sure which sapphire ring you want to wear!:D

Those are nice pretty sapphire jewels:)

Is that the Coronation ring amongst the sparkles?? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom