Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The necklace and earrings don't bother me but the tiara.... Yuck. I almost think these jewels would look better on someone, I hate to say it ... younger. The color needs a different kind of dress that Her Majesty just doesn't wear. NO disrespect to the Queen.

I am also not too fond of the aquamarine set!

It's horribly bulky, and has no real design to it. Well, actually, the brooch setting is quite beautiful--but overall the stones are just cumbersome looking on the Queen--and I think the necklace length is a bit odd--but I can't put my finger on why. It seems almost a touch to short

Maybe it could be improved by some changes? The necklace really would be nicer if it were a bit longer. The base of the tiara seems ok to me. But the chunky stone in the middle of the tiara is an eyesore imo. Such a big stone must be really valuable, it's a pity that it is allowed to ruin the tiara. It might be nice for a big brooch though.
And the right dress colour would improve the look, the white really clashes with the aquamarines.

This Brazilian Aquamarine suite consists of a tiara, a pair of earrings, a necklace, a bracelet and already possesses a brooch, which is infrequenly worn by HM The Queen. So, I do not think she needs another 'bigger' or whatever brooch from that suite. Although I personally think The Queen likes it, as she wore the necklace, earrings and bracelet I think for the last time in May 2007 when she gave a dinner for President Bush on the final day of the State Visit to the USA.

Maybe QEII does not need another aqua brooch, although she seems to be very fond of brooches. I just wanted to express my dislike of the big stone being stuck to front of the tiara and was imagining another use for it, as the stone itself is magnificent. But it gives the tiara a kind of cycops look. (Like an adult version of the aquamarine tiara of princess Madeleine of Sveden?) I always get the impression that the stone was put there to show-off, disregarding aesthetics. The tiara looks so clumsy to me!

3 strand pearl necklaces

The Queen always wears a 3 strand pearl necklace for daytime engagements.

Menkes and Fields tell us that she has 3.

1. Silver Jubilee gift from her Granfather, George V.
2. Coronation gift from Emir of Qatar.
3. A necklace made shortly after her assession, from family pearls.

I had assumed wrongly that all 3, must look the same. But there are differences.

A. The necklace worn to meet President Obama. This necklace sits all 3 strands snugly together.

B. The necklace worn in the gold coach on her Golden Jubilee. This is again 3 strands, but each strand is a least 1 inch apart.

C. The next necklace seems to be the one worn most often. Picture The Queen at the Guildhall for Annus Horobilis speech.
The 2 lower strands fit snugly together, but the 1st or higher strand is much shorter, creating a gap. In my mind, I call this necklace, the messy necklace because, it is often photgraphed caught in the dress neckline or
sitting awry.

Has the Queen been photographed in the Queen Mothers Ruby necklace? Or is it that it could be intended for a certain Duchess?

Has the Queen been photographed in the Queen Mothers Ruby necklace? Or is it that it could be intended for a certain Duchess?

The ruby and diamond necklace worn by The Queen Mother was designated by Queen Mary as belonging to the Crown to be worn in right of it. It was a bequest to Queen Alexandra from Queen Victoria. So far, The Queen has not given Camilla any jewels designated only for a Queen or Queen Consort.

Alexandra disliked opals and had the necklace re-set with rubies she and Victoria were given over the years.

What about the QM's emerald necklace I love this pice (someone please were it)

I prefer the necklace with the oriental circlet--but as long as she isn't wearing those Saudi rubies I am happy (not that HM checks in with me regarding my happiness!!)--but I will say that while I hated the "new" ruby tiara, it has grown on me. I do, however, still dislike the Brazillian tiara.

My favorites are still the Grand Duchess Vladimirov...and the Russian Fringe one she has... I probably spelled the Russian name wrong...oops....

The Queen always wears a 3 strand pearl necklace for daytime engagements.
She also wears pearl necklaces of two strands (slightly larger pearls) and occasionally one four strands instead of the three.

Last edited by a moderator:
pearl necklaces

Nellie, on RJWMB, has posted a most interesting panel of QEII pearl necklaces. 1,2.3.4 and 5 strand pearl necklaces.
Worth a look.

Warren, thanks for sharing this great pic of HM with the emeralds and one of my two favourite tiaras!! Brings a new meaning to breathtaking!

I love this picture of her wearing it. She also wears it on our $20 note, thats how it first came to my attention.

this is a gorgeous modern emerald set, I have never seen it before. her vault must have room after room after........!

Perhaps she didn't ask! I'm sure that HM would not have refused had Diana asked to see what was available from the items that were not in use.

By the way, I was wondering... how does that work with the Royal jewels that are in the vaults? I mean aren't they all kept at the Tower of London? So when the Queen wants to pull something out of the vault does she have to go to the Tower to get what she wants? And what if Diana (or the Duchess of Cornwall) wanted to borrow something but they weren't sure what they wanted. Did/do they make a visit to the Tower to pick something out. I always wondered how that all worked.

The Crown Jewels are kept in the Tower of London (crowns, orbs, sceptres, jewelled swords, Coronation regalia, etc).
The vast bulk of the Queen's collection is "private" or designated "left to the Crown" and most of these are believed to lie in the extensive vaults beneath Buckingham Palace.
The vaults could be described as a "treasure trove" or "Aladdin's Cave" of riches. What lies beneath very few know, and those that do don't tell.
I would assume that no-one gets in to have a look without the express permission of HM. The attitude is "they are private, and it's no-one else's business."

Warren, wouldn't you think that what ever senior lady in the immediate family would be able to have her dresser call up and say, well for the following official tour she's wearing a gown of xyz colors to the White House (or wherever) and we'd like to see what we have that would look favorable? I mean obviously not a minor member, but a member of the immediate family?

Well, we know that Princess Anne has worn a mystery tiara which we assume to have been delved from the vaults, but such examples are few and far between.
The only other tiara I can think of is the Delhi Durbar which made a surprise appearance on the DOC after lying for over half a century in the dark.
It would seem that HM is not as eager as us for the mysteries of the vaults to be to publicly revealed. :D

:previous:
I would tend to agree with you. My sense is other than the jewels that have been made available to the DoC (largely comprising elements of the QMs collection), HM tends not to dole out any. My sense is that she has provided Anne and Sophie with the amounts of jewellery she considers appropriate, and she is not planning to dig further into the collection in a hurry.

I would think as Andrew's daughters get a bit older and start to attend royal functions that HM will loan them some pieces, so they dont look bare! Hopefully, anyway. It seems such a pity that so many treasures never see the light of day. I would be down visiting them once a week if I had the key to the vault!

I would think as Andrew's daughters get a bit older and start to attend royal functions that HM will loan them some pieces, so they dont look bare!

I have no doubt that B&E will receive pieces of jewellery from HM at the appropriate time in their lives. No doubt some thought would go into selecting the pieces that they will receive, to reflect their relative position in the future of their monarchy.

That said, my sense is that they will not be attending major royal events like state banquets that typically require jewellery, again reflecting their relative position in the future of their monarchy.

Once Charles is King, the focus will be on the young Princes and their future spouses. Charles' intention is to have a smaller Royal Family in his reign. The fact that the cousins are now so involved is a bit The Queen's own choice, because she intended to have a role to play for e.g. Princess Alexandra, ...
I suppose that the jewellery collection will be reserved for the next generation of royal ladies in the front rank of the family; and the daughters of Andrew, I really think that they will have a second-line place and for that reason not having use of tiaras, huge necklaces, ...

:previous:
Quite right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom