The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #661  
Old 07-05-2012, 12:20 PM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,196
HM wore her "minor" emeralds in Edinburgh today, for the Order of the Thistle service.

If I recall correctly, these were last used for the return dinner the Obama's hosted at Winfield House when they visited London in 2011.


Queen Elizabeth II And Prince Philip Duke Of Edinburgh
__________________

  #662  
Old 07-05-2012, 12:40 PM
AdmirerUS's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,838
Emeralds, may I say, finally! I do like pear shaped stones, as well.
__________________

  #663  
Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM
MichelleQ2's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 960
As her major diamonds are on display back in London, it seems we are benefitting from HM having to dig a little deeper into the Royal jewelry vault.
  #664  
Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,442
Seeing one (or in this case, nine) of the Cambridge emeralds is always a pleasure, not to mention a Cullinan diamond (even one of the smaller ones).
I absolutely love every element of the Delhi Durbar parure, this necklace included.

Here is a huge picture of the necklace which showcases every stone in all their glory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Delhi Durbar necklace.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	285963  
  #665  
Old 07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,811
The Delhi Durbar emerald necklace is seriously magnificent, one I always love to see on HM. The design and those dangling gems are just exceptional!
__________________
A book should be either a bandit or a rebel or a man in the crowd..... D.H. Lawrence
  #666  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Krisotter's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia
Seeing one (or in this case, nine) of the Cambridge emeralds is always a pleasure.
I absolutely love every element of the Delhi Durbar parure, this necklace included.

Here is a huge picture of the necklace which showcases every stone in all their glory.
wait, in the picture above, HM's necklace appears to be pearls with multiple emerald drop pendants. Is this an alternative setting?
__________________
"The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them." -Queen Victoria
  #667  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 PM
ldmemail's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bath, United Kingdom
Posts: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisotter

wait, in the picture above, HM's necklace appears to be pearls with multiple emerald drop pendants. Is this an alternative setting?
No, there are only diamonds in the Delhi Durbar / Cambridge Emeralds Parure!
  #668  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisotter View Post
wait, in the picture above, HM's necklace appears to be pearls with multiple emerald drop pendants. Is this an alternative setting?
No pearls - just diamonds and emeralds.
Have a look at this picture; every stone is visible, so you can see there are no pearls in this necklace.

You can read about the history of the necklace here.
  #669  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Krisotter's Avatar
Gentry
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond, United States
Posts: 76
Then, looking at the picture Muriel posted above, HM wasn't wearing this necklace from the Delhi Durbar parure. It's lovely to have a picture from before the robes were put on for the second part of the day.
__________________
"The important thing is not what they think of me, but what I think of them." -Queen Victoria
  #670  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Baroness of Books's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bookstacks, United States
Posts: 5,811
No, she wore her "minor" emerald necklace as Muriel described. And her are her "minor" emerald earrings that match it! But it is nice to see different jewels we haven't seen for awhile being trotted out because of the exhibition.
__________________
A book should be either a bandit or a rebel or a man in the crowd..... D.H. Lawrence
  #671  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,442
My sincere apologies for the confusion; I saw emeralds and immediately thought of the Delhi Durbar necklace.
Krisotter and Baroness of Books are absolutely correct; the necklace Her Majesty wore today is of course not the Delhi Durbar one.

The Queen wore the Emerald and Gold necklace.
Teardrop emeralds (presumably, Cambridge emeralds) have been set in the knot diamond encrusted yellow gold necklace with matching earrings.

Her Majesty has worn this necklace only handful of times. In fact, on top of my head I can only think of one occasion, when she paired the necklace and the earrings with the Vladimir Tiara set with emeralds (the picture attached). She also has a very similar sapphire necklace (second picture attached).

Cropped from larger images and constitute 20% of the originals.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VladimirEmeraldsMaryElizabeth.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	285964  
Attached Images
 
  #672  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 PM
padams2359's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 503
How many carets are the smaller diamonds in the DD emerald necklace?
  #673  
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
The Queen wore the Emerald and Gold necklace.
Teardrop emeralds (presumably, Cambridge emeralds) have been set in the knot diamond encrusted yellow gold necklace with matching earrings.


Cropped from larger images and constitute 20% of the originals.
The origins of this demi-parure and the emeralds it contains is less than clear. It is a modern deisgn and I understand it first appeared in the 1980s, or perhaps even later. I would be surprised if the emeralds were part of the Cambridge emeralds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

Her Majesty has worn this necklace only handful of times. In fact, on top of my head I can only think of one occasion, when she paired the necklace and the earrings with the Vladimir Tiara set with emeralds (the picture attached).
Cropped from larger images and constitute 20% of the originals.
I agree, this necklace has hardly been used. In fact, it has been a while that HM has used either the Delhi Durbar emerald necklace or the GDV tiara with the emeralds. Perhaps she is not a fan a emeralds these days.
  #674  
Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 AM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,442

The most accepted version of the origin of the two demi-parure sets (the emerald and the sapphire ones) is that they were a gift from one of the Arab Royal Families.
However, the emeralds might have well been substituted with Cambridge ones because they do look a lot like the Cambridge emeralds in the Delhi Durbar set.
  #675  
Old 07-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Boris's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
However, the emeralds might have well been substituted with Cambridge ones because they do look a lot like the Cambridge emeralds in the Delhi Durbar set.
No, the emeralds in the modern set have certainly not been substituted by any of the Cambridge emeralds.
The necklace is still in its original form as it was seen several years ago, and the Cambridge emeralds are afaik all larger in size and shaped differently.

As the setting and design of the modern set is very typical of the style used in jewelry gifts from Arab countries, this is most likely the source indeed.
It would be interesting to research if this set - like many others - was worn for the first time at a return dinner during a state visit, since this occasion usually indicates who gifted a newly worn jewel.

EDIT:
According to Baxter and Boffer from the Royal Jewels MB, this set was first worn by The Queen to the return banquet hosted by Sheikh Zayed of the United Arab Emirates when he paid a State Visit to Britain in 1989.
Therefore, it was in all probability a gift from the UAE on that occasion.
  #676  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
muriel's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

The most accepted version of the origin of the two demi-parure sets (the emerald and the sapphire ones) is that they were a gift from one of the Arab Royal Families.
However, the emeralds might have well been substituted with Cambridge ones because they do look a lot like the Cambridge emeralds in the Delhi Durbar set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
No, the emeralds in the modern set have certainly not been substituted by any of the Cambridge emeralds.
The necklace is still in its original form as it was seen several years ago, and the Cambridge emeralds are afaik all larger in size and shaped differently.

As the setting and design of the modern set is very typical of the style used in jewelry gifts from Arab countries, this is most likely the source indeed.
It would be interesting to research if this set - like many others - was worn for the first time at a return dinner during a state visit, since this occasion usually indicates who gifted a newly worn jewel.

EDIT:
According to Baxter and Boffer from the Royal Jewels MB, this set was first worn by The Queen to the return banquet hosted by Sheikh Zayed of the United Arab Emirates when he paid a State Visit to Britain in 1989.
Therefore, it was in all probability a gift from the UAE on that occasion.
I maintain (and agree with Boris) that the emeralds do not appear to be Cambridge emeralds at all, neither in size or colouring.

As to whether they were a gift from a Middle Eastern state, we are unlikely to see confirmation of that. Often when modern jewellery is seen on the BRF (or any other European royal family for that matter), it is often ascribed by forum members to Middle Eastern states. This may or may not be true.
  #677  
Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Boris's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
As to whether they were a gift from a Middle Eastern state, we are unlikely to see confirmation of that. Often when modern jewellery is seen on the BRF (or any other European royal family for that matter), it is often ascribed by forum members to Middle Eastern states. This may or may not be true.
QE II has actually long been in the habit of wearing jewelry which was gifted to her during a state visit for the return dinner/function of this state visit - see the major Saudi Arabian diamond necklaces, for example.
Along with the fact that in terms of the setting and style used, the emerald suite points very much towards a Middle Eastern gift, the assumption that this set came from the UAE is most likely correct, IMHO.
  #678  
Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Artemisia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,442
I do not disagree with you and Boris, muriel.
Just thought the emeralds might have been some of the smaller Cambridge emeralds.
Then again, the ones in the earring match to those in the necklace, so probably they came from the same source - and it's very unlikely to be Cambridge ones.

The two demi-parures do look a lot like Saudi designs, so I'd say rumours of their origin are pretty accurate. Of course, that's never going to be officially confirmed.
  #679  
Old 07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator in Memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,487
As Boris has posted, the emerald necklace is commonly accepted as being a gift from Sheikh Zayed, President of the UAE, in 1989.
The sapphire necklace of similar style was worn in 2007 during the visit of King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia which (strongly) suggests it is a gift from a senior member of the House of Saud.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
  #680  
Old 07-11-2012, 04:21 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,306
Link to site dedicated the HMQ's jewellery

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault
__________________

__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewels, necklaces, photo, queen elizabeth ii, tiara, tiaras


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Convertible Tiaras/Necklaces and Versatile Tiaras Josefine Royal Jewels General Discussion 51 03-28-2016 12:59 PM
Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras & Necklaces 1: Nov 2005-Nov 2007 HMQueenElizabethII Royal Jewels 188 11-28-2007 06:57 PM




Popular Tags
beatrice borromeo best gown best outfit birth camilla catherine middleton style chris o'neill crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria crown princess victoria's maternity fashion current events current events thread duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall duke of cambridge fashion fashion poll felipe vi hereditary grand duchess stéphanie kate middleton king felipe king felipe and queen letizia king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia official visit picture of the week pierre casiraghi portugal prince bernhard prince carl philip prince of wales princess beatrice princess claire princess claire of luxembourg princess leonore princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess sofia maternity wear princess sofia pregnancy style queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania casual outfit royal royal fashion spanish royals state visit summer holiday sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats the hague united states of america victoria wedding willem-alexander


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises