Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, I also like the evenness and symmetry of the circular tiara. It also looks very comfortable and light, something that HM favors.

Here's that image of HM wearing the circlet with her rubies. Just stunning!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-e62zGUk-Q...0vyMk/s1600/oriental-circlet-tiara-queen1.jpg

I personally hate that necklace. Maybe if it only had a single ruby pendant it wouldn't be so bad, but I just can't abide those 3 stones kind of just hanging there, not really sure why.

Worn with this necklace,I think you'd have perfection. I actually have a softspot for the oft-maligned Burmese tiara, which is also worn here. I think the whole thing works, personally.

That is a gorgeous ruby necklace and I do like the pendant style better than the first one. Gorgeous gems and color.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that HM has designed the newer tiaras herself as its more likely to have been left up to Garrard to produce some marquettes. Maybe the results we see today were the best of the bunch. I guess it serves to highlight the supreme artistry and craftsmanship of say a Cartier or a Fabergé. They just don't make 'em like they used to!

The 1993 "Garrard the Crown Jewellers for 150 years" commemorative publication doesn't give much away with just this on the subject:

"When the Crown Jewellers provide new pieces for the Queen, current fashions inspire the design without making an aggressively contemporary statement which would quickly date. The Burmese ruby tiara ordered in 1973 is a perfect example. A conventional concept very boldly detailed..."

Geoffrey Munn merely states that Garrard "presented the Queen with the design".

In defence of the Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara, the main photograph that Sartorial Splendour chose to use wasn't exactly the most flattering they could find.

The tiara does have some fine and interesting detail...

Attachments

• UK Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara.jpg
    UK Brazilian Aquamarine Tiara.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 18,228
For me, the aquamarine tiara shows definitively how incredibly difficult it is to incorporate big stones in a tiara. I think had Garrard not been 'constrained' in having to make such big aquamarines fit into it, I think it would've been more successful.

I personally find most tiaras that have to situate large single stones somewhat unsatisfactory. I'm so glad the Queen has never tried to fit Granny's Chips into a tiara. In theory, they would make an astonishing tiara (and I'd be fascinated to see what the top jewel houses would come up with if tasked with designing such a thing), but I just doubt it would work. On a smaller scale, the Dutch Stuart tiara has the same problem.

The brazilian aquamarine tiara is a favorite of the queen tiaras. Stones has an outstanding beauty, blue is deep. The position that uses the head and hair color can take your beauty. The necklace, earrings, bracelet, brooch, are magnificent art deco. It will be a favorite of Princess Consort Camilla.

I am not sure what was done with the tiara, but I am guessing it was reworked into something else.

Attachments

• image-2351800234.jpg
    image-2351800234.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 660
  • image-2271007164.jpg
    image-2271007164.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 878
:previous:
It's the Delhi Durbar Tiara, currently on loan to the Duchess of Cornwall. The setting of the tiara allowed Cullinan III and IV to be mounted in it, as in your pictures. Cambridge emerald pendants could also be added on top. Only Queen Mary wore the Tiara with the Cullinans, and even she did it only a couple of times. She did add Cambridge Emeralds on top quite often though, especially when wearing it with the rest of her Delhi Durbar Parure.

Pictures:
Picture 1 - The Delhi Durbar Tiara in its current form (original)
Picture 2 - The Delhi Durbar Tiara with Cullinans III and IV (photoshop)
Picture 3 - The Delhi Durbar Tiara with Cambridge Emeralds and a Cullinan (photoshop)
Picture 4 - Queen Mary wearing the Delhi Durbar Tiara with Emerald pendants on top (original)
Picture 5 - Queen Mary wearing the Delhi Durbar Tiara mounted with Cullinans III and IV (original)
Picture 6 - The Duchess of Cornwall wearing the Delhi Durbar Tiara in its current form (original picture)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 443
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,379
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 557
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 837
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 769
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 732
Last edited:
Question, other than the Cambridge and Diamond Tiara that Queen Mary copied, is anyone familiar with at Tiara that was copied from the British Royal Family?

Artemesia, your photo comparison are stunning. Thank you so much, Ive never seen some of those photos!!!!!

I don't like the necklace at all,nor am I fond of the earings either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The set is alright, but nothing spectacular in comparison to her other jewels.

This would be a great starter set for DofCa. Very nice jewels, but not the big chandelier pieces like the rubies and Saudi pieces. Great for HM, but a little much for Kate. HM may wear this to show some affection for them, then pass them on to DofCa. The emerald choker might be a bit much to start.

The necklace is beautiful but also a bit bulky looking,I wonder when was it last worn as I don'trecall seeing this one before.

Those aren't earrings. The article notes that HM had two pieces removed to shorten the necklace; those pieces are what we see in the pic.

The necklace is beautiful but also a bit bulky looking,I wonder when was it last worn as I don'trecall seeing this one before.

It is indeed a beautiful piece and also a bit of an 'eye-catcher' best worn with a V-neck dress. Maybe it's a bit too loud for HM in her advanced years?

viv

I was thinking the same Viv,maybe we might see some of the younger royals wearing it.

I definitely agree that this piece suits a younger royal. I've always considered it a bulky piece, too, but that diamond drop is just magnificent.

Last edited:
Stunning, part of the exquisite Greville loot which had such lovely feminine pieces!
A more youthful wearer, how about the duchess of Cambridge, she seems to need a necklace

Or the Countess of Wessex,

This is one of my favorites necklaces ever! I considered this one prettier than the other ones Queen Elizabeth has.

Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Necklace- Took my breath away! Wow! Stunning! Those pearls! What rocks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom