Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like "The Girls" to me, along with the always impressive collet necklace of Queen Victoria's!

Just seen the pictures of HM at the state banquet in Turkey. Good to see the Kokoshnik tiara get an outing - a welcome change from the usual Girls of GB&I. Does anubody know much about the provenance of the ruby jewels that HM was wearing?

That ugly necklace (the Ruby Swag necklace) was a gift from I think one of the Saudi countries (some feel free to correct me)--and I just hate the thing. She has QV's ruby necklace at her disposal, along with the one she bought in the 60's. This thing is hideous.
As for the ruby brooch--I think it is a turkish order.

Thanks jcbcode99. I too am no fan of the necklace that HM wore last night. I also think that if she wore rubies, she could have worn one of the two ruby tiaras she has - the one she wore when the French visited (of which I am no real fan!), or the Oriental Circlet previously worn by the Queen Mother. Also, the design of the dress completely hid the ruby brooch!

Last edited by a moderator:
She also has the beautiful V shaped necklace that her mother gave her as a wedding gift. I seem to recall reading that it came from the Greville collection that was bequethed to the Queen Mother.

yes but ive seen that necklace in this b palace diamond wedding exhibition and it is huge especially the diamond drop at the end

although it is a beautiful piece it is actually more a young womans necklace and needs a lowcut dress to set it off and as the Queen does not wear those type of dresses anymore i dont think it would be as effective probably a piece to be kept for the future generations

incidently can anyone tell mre the last time she wore this necklace

That ugly necklace (the Ruby Swag necklace) was a gift from I think one of the Saudi countries (some feel free to correct me)--and I just hate the thing.
From what I can see of the necklace, it looks very interesting. It would be better if it were paired with the Burmese Ruby Tiara. Now that is something I would pay good money just to see! :wub:

Oh well, if dreams were wishes I could fly. However, if anyone out there has a better shot of the Ruby Swag necklace I would really love to see it. :prettyplease:

Was that a flower from the 'Nizam of Hyderabad' tiara that the Q wore as a brooch with the black and lime suit in Turkey?

I think that she has worn the two pieces (Burmese and Ruby Swag) together before--I shall check the thread and see what I can find UNLESS Warren happens in on this thread and finds it sooner..........:whistling: he's the best at finding pictures.

Was that a flower from the 'Nizam of Hyderabad' tiara that the Q wore as a brooch with the black and lime suit in Turkey?

Indeed it was! It is such a lovely piece. I hope she didn't break up that tiara to make the Burmese; such a shame if she did.

Hand over the cash Marg.

click on the pic to make it bigger; note GVR and GVIR RFOs.

Owch! Monopoly money suit you? :blush:

Thank you so much Warren, I think you either have the most extensively catalogued collection of photos or the most incredibley organised file folders. :notworthy:
Just as I thought, they look wonderful. :wub: They seem to balance each other. :hmm: They have the same sort of style and design.

Last edited:
Either piece is still not on my top favorite pieces, but that is a very nice portrait of the Queen. The tiara looks quite good--maybe for that piece it is all about the angle? The necklace looks good, too.

No, Queen Elizabeth wore another tiara, something like the Kokoshnik, I believe, on her wedding day!

Princess Elizabeth (now QEII) wore the kokoshnik or fringe tiara on her wedding day. The Queen Mother loaned it to her daughter as "something borrowed". The Queen Mother loaned it again to her granddaughter Princess Anne as "something borrowed". I'm sure QEII inherited this tiara from her mother but has not been seen since Princess Anne's wedding.

Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding

This is also discussed in 'The Queen's Jewels' by Leslie Field p. 42-43.

-Ayvee

Big jewels pic!

Original pic posted by bweir, in this post.
A large (cropped) formal pic of EIIR as Queen of Canada, released 2008
Wearing the Kokoshnik Tiara and the modern Sapphire & Diamond Suite (a gift from the late Sheikh Rashid of Dubai).
This photogrpah was taken in Canada in May 2005 when the Queen attended a formal dinner in Edmonton, Alberta - see here for context.

>> click on pic to make it bigger.

~ ¤ ~

It only took QEII exactly twenty-six years from the reception of the Dubai sapphire suite gift to its first outing in public...
...and I wonder why, because it's amazing.
When I think of lots of other jewery gifts from Arab countries which are far less appealing but worn constantly and then this, nicer even than the Queen's sapphire parure, having to gather dust in the vaults...

Boris - Are you sure this is the first outing of this sapphire parure? I am reasonably sure I have seen it previously, though can't seem to recall where.

Princess Elizabeth (now QEII) wore the kokoshnik or fringe tiara on her wedding day. The Queen Mother loaned it to her daughter as "something borrowed". The Queen Mother loaned it again to her granddaughter Princess Anne as "something borrowed". I'm sure QEII inherited this tiara from her mother but has not been seen since Princess Anne's wedding.

This is also discussed in 'The Queen's Jewels' by Leslie Field p. 42-43.

-Ayvee
Ayvee, The fringe tiara is not the same as the Kokoshnik. The Kokoshnik was acquired by Queen Mary and has its provenance in Imperial Russia.

I don't recall having seen the pearl necklace the queen wore to Peter Phillips' wedding. Anyone know of its origins.

i thought that the pearls were either the ones she wore at her own wedding or her standard pearl necklace but i could be wrong

The Kokoshnik was acquired by Queen Mary and has its provenance in Imperial Russia.
And just how did May "acquire" that piece of jewelry?
Inquiring Minds wanna know! :D

Ayvee, The fringe tiara is not the same as the Kokoshnik. The Kokoshnik was acquired by Queen Mary and has its provenance in Imperial Russia.

QEII has two kinds of fringe tiaras which look like Russian kokoshniks. The first one which she wore at her wedding and the 2nd one which was a present to Queen Alexandra for her 25th wedding anniversary. QEII wears this kokoshnik/fringe tiara in this link:
Official Photographic Portrait of Her Majesty The Queen
This design is composed of vertical bars with the same width but graduating height.

The one QEII wore at her wedding was made for Queen Mary using diamonds from George III. This fringe tiara is discussed in Geoffrey Munn's book. This kind of tiara has two kinds of spikes forming the kokoshnik shape. This particular design is the most popular. Princess Michael of Kent owns one. So did Princess Mary, Countess of Harewood. And QEII also has this design but as a necklace given to her by the City of London for her wedding:

So yes, the term fringe tiaras and kokoshnik tiaras are interchangeable with one another. Neither of these fringe tiaras have a Russian provenance.

The tiara you refer to that has the Imperial Russia provenance is the Vladimir Tiara which are circles with either hanging emeralds or pearls that Queen Mary purchased:
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion

-Ayvee

Last edited:
Ayvee - You are aboslutely right, the Kokoshnik does not have Russian provenance, and I was confusing it with the Grand Duchess Vladamir tiara

i thought that the pearls were either the ones she wore at her own wedding or her standard pearl necklace but i could be wrong

I think that you are right. They are two strands that belong to the crown and worn at her own wedding.

i would love to know some trivia about her jewllery

for example
what tiara was the first that she wore at what age and event
Is there any tiara that she has now worn since she became queen
Did she share any tiara as a princess with her mother and sister
does she share any tiara today with other royal family members
Is thare a tiara that has not left the UK
Is there a special tiara for surtain events
What tiara does she use moust often
is there any tiara that she has not used for several years?

"what tiara was the first that she wore at what age and event
Is there any tiara that she has now worn since she became queen
Did she share any tiara as a princess with her mother and sister
does she share any tiara today with other royal family members
Is thare a tiara that has not left the UK
Is there a special tiara for surtain events
What tiara does she use moust often
is there any tiara that she has not used for several years?'"

Her first tiaras were the wedding-gift from Queen Mary, the Girls of Great Britain and N.Ireland and the one from the Nyzam of Hyderabad.
But she wore first the fringe tiara at her wedding day.
She has lent her fan-shaped and sapphire tiara to Princess Margaret for years.
As far as I know she doesn't share her tiaras with anybody.
The Crown Jewels cannot leave the country e.g. the George IV Diadem.
The George IV Diadem is worn at the Opening of Parliament every year.
I think the record goes to the Girls of Great Britain and N.Ireland tiara as the most often worn tiara! I dare say TOO OFTEN!!
There are a lot of tiaras the she hasn't used at all!!!! 2 sapphire tiaras mentioned by Field, 4-5 or maybe even more smaller tiaras from Queen Mary, the Teck tiara, thr Strathmore tiara, Queen Alexandra's wedding gift tiara(Rundell).

I hope I had answered some of your questions!
Have a nice day!

<i>The George IV Diadem is worn at the Opening of Parliament every year.
</i>

Actually, the Imperial State Crown is worn at the actual opening. My understanding is that she sometimes wears the Diadem to and from Westminster, and sometimes goes bareheaded.

HM always wears the George IV tiara for the journey to & from the State Opening of Parliament. I don't believe there has been any of these occasions (for the Houses of Parliament in London State Opening) that she has gone bareheaded - - - unless someone has evidence to the contrary. HM wears full state regalia with her ermine trimmed robe & full length gown with opera gloves, so would never go without accompanying headgear....

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/1960COLOR5.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/1549_24_200.jpg

I don't think either that HM goes bare-headed to the Parliament, it's always the GeorgeIV or when HM opened the Parliaments of New-Zealand, Australia or other Commonwealth country she wore various tiaras: the Kokoshnik, the Lover's Knot and others.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/QE5403.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/QE5409.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/andrewcs/QEnsw54.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom