Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the Coronation ring amongst the sparkles?? :cool:
I'm pretty sure one of the rings is indeed Queen Victoria's Coronation ring.
The other sapphire ring is the one the Queen usually wears with this parure.
But I really have no idea about the square (?) ring: it's entirely unfamiliar to me.

The square ring, Her Majesty usually wears on the third finger of her left hand - I noticed it for the first time during a state visit to Pakistan.

Last edited by a moderator:
It says in the description that those are Queen Mary's trays that the jewels are presented in. And what luscious color on those sapphires; you can really appreciate the size of those earrings in the photo of HM wearing them.

The square ring, Her Majesty usually wears on the third finger of her left hand - I noticed it for the first time during a state visit to Pakistan.
Thanks for the information! :flowers:
Do you happen to have a picture of the Queen wearing it at any time?

Lawks a lordy! There's a "Who's Queen?" item!

Can someone ID the necklace Her Majesty is wearing in this picture?

http://i46.tinypic.com/35jzfkn.jpg
Not a lot of help but here is a clearer picture of the necklace.
It looks like 2 + 2 + 2 to me, bind together with a diamond clasp. The necklace looks as though the three strands could be worn separately too. It's not unusual: the Queen has a 4 strand necklace with similar clasp that can be worn together with a 2 strand one. Either way, the design looks pretty modern to me so I'm wondering whether it was an early Jubilee gift? Incidentally, I don't recognize the earrings as well so it's possible it's a demi-parure.

I read that this is gift from Kuwait ruler.

I've read elsewhere that the pearl necklace the Queen is wearing was a gift from the Emir of Qatar in a previous visit. I think the Queen is wearing it in honour of her guests. We've not seen her wear it on other occasions.

It's very possible that it's indeed a gift from one of the Arab monarchies and, since the Queen wore it for the Qatar state visit, I'd assume it had indeed been a gift from that particular country (otherwise, it would have made no sense to wear it on the occasion).

Artemisia said:

I will endeavour to find one!

It's the Qatari pearl necklace; HM has had it since at least 2009.

v Qatari Pearl Necklace
1. November 2009
2. October 2010

thumbnail images form portion of much larger cropped photographs

Attachments

• Necklace Qatar Pearls Nov99.jpg
    Necklace Qatar Pearls Nov99.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 997
  • Necklace Qatar Pearls Oct2010.jpg
    Necklace Qatar Pearls Oct2010.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 4,995
She has it for much longer. She wore it on an official Visit to Berlin in 1987 for the 750th anniversarys of the town.

Thanks for the pictures, Warren.
Since the last time the necklace was worn was for a Qatar visit, I daresay we can definitely say we know its origin.

Is it just me or the necklace is a 6-strand (4+2) when you look at the right side, but then magically transforms into a 5-strand one (3+2) at the left side?
Also, the earrings are definitely from the same demi-parure; both the design and the stones are a perfect match.

A combination of pearls, white, yellow and pink diamonds - a great combination.

Last edited:
She has it for much longer. She wore it on an official Visit to Berlin in 1987 for the 750th anniversarys of the town.
She wore the King George Festoon Necklace in Berlin in 1987.

Cropped from larger image.

Attachments

• 56799920.jpg
    56799920.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 520
Artemisia said:
Not a lot of help but here is a clearer picture of the necklace.
It looks like 2 + 2 + 2 to me, bind together with a diamond clasp. The necklace looks as though the three strands could be worn separately too. It's not unusual: the Queen has a 4 strand necklace with similar clasp that can be worn together with a 2 strand one. Either way, the design looks pretty modern to me so I'm wondering whether it was an early Jubilee gift? Incidentally, I don't recognize the earrings as well so it's possible it's a demi-parure.

I think Her Majesty received this necklace and earrings in 1992 - I think there was also a ruby and is one necklace and earrings set. I will try and confirm ...

Artemisia said:

If you look on the RJWMB you will see a photograph of the event I was speaking.

I think there was also a ruby and is one necklace and earrings set.
I believe this is the diamond and ruby necklace, a gift to HM from the late Emir of Qatar, HH Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani, in 1985.

v Qatari Diamond & Ruby Necklace
thumbnail image forms portion of much larger cropped photograph

Attachments

• Necklace Qatar gift Sheikh Khalifa 1985.jpg
    Necklace Qatar gift Sheikh Khalifa 1985.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 696
She wore the King George Festoon Necklace in Berlin in 1987.

Cropped from larger image.

Then there was a second white tie Event. Can't find a pic but from the Event i'm talking the Queen wore a blue gown and the Kokoshnik tiara. Had seen pics of her with then then Major of Berlin Eberhard Diepgen and his wife.

:previous:

It's possible, I guess. However, in this contemporary video that covered pretty much every aspect of the visit, there is no mention of the second white tie event. The first one (where she's wearing a blue gown and Festoon necklace) is extensively highlighted, but not any other.

Besuch Königin Elizabeths II. in Berlin, Mai 1987 - YouTube

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: The Queen’s Wedding Gifts

Now these are wedding gifts! :D

My favorite one has got to be the Girls of Great Britian tiara. Other favorites are, the Greville Chandelier earrings, the sapphire set from the King, the Williamson Pink Diamond brooch, the Queen Anne and Queen Caroline pearls, the bracelet from Philip, the City of London Fringe necklace, the pearl and diamond button earrings, and the Nizam of Hyderabad tiara.

Last edited:
:previous:
She should have kept this tiara as a necklace. I admit it looks better than the Burmese Ruby and Brazilian Aquamarine, but even that's damning by faint praise.

That's probably the only tiara of HM's that I really dislike. I hope that some future royal female who has access to it takes it to pieces and has a top jeweller start again from scratch. A competition could even be held for students of jewellery design to see what they might do with it. It's just so ugly as it is.

I mean I like the tiara but honestly it would look better as a necklace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom