Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras & Necklaces 1: Nov 2005-Nov 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HMQueenElizabethII

Heir Apparent
City
Ryde
Country
Australia
Queen Elizabeth II

Attachments

• Queenportrait.jpg
    Queenportrait.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2,007
  • 50426900.jpg
    50426900.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,100
  • queenjewel.jpg
    queenjewel.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,016
  • 3405565.jpg
    3405565.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2,243
Last edited by a moderator:
Her Majesty wearing Queen Alexandra's Kokoshnik Tiara at a State Banquet for the President and First Lady of the United States.

tiaraprin said:
Her Majesty wearing Queen Alexandra's Kokoshnik Tiara at a State Banquet for the President and First Lady of the United States.

I love the Kokoshnik tiara. It's so glittering! :)

ElisaR said:
I love the Kokoshnik tiara. It's so glittering! :)

The Kokoshnik Tiara was a 25th wedding anniversary gift to the then Alexandra, Princess of Wales from the Ladies of Great Britain. Alexandra requested the Kokoshnik style (Russian peasant headdress) because her sister, The Empress Marie Fedorovna had a tiara in this style.

Could someone tell me if the some of the pearls included in the Imperial State Crown are the famous Catherine de Medicis' pearls?

I think there's a story to that effect, but I don't know if there's documentation that these pearls were the same ones that Mary Stuart got from Catherine de Medici.

Idriel said:
Could someone tell me if the some of the pearls included in the Imperial State Crown are the famous Catherine de Medicis' pearls?

Four pearls in the Imperial State Crown are Catherine de Medici's pearls. When Catherine married Henri, Duke d'Orleans (future Henri II of France), she was given 7 magnificent pearls by her uncle, Clement VII. Those pearls were given to Mary, Queen of Scots when she married Catherine's eldest son Francois. Mary took these pearls back to Scotland after the death of Francois. When Mary was executed in 1587, Elizabeth I took the pearls and added them to the Crown collection. Four of those 7 pearls hang from the arches in the Imperial State Crown today.

oh my. these pearls got a long history behind them. but i once read that if a pearl is more than 100 years old, its colour would change, and lost the luster it had. so how could these pearls last for so long?(maybe my source is wrong?)

Here another pics of Her Majesty's jewels:

According to the official guidebook of the crown jewels, at least two of those pearls in the Imperial State Crown date only from the 19th century. It doesn't say anything about the other two, though.

According to Leslie Field in The Queen's Jewels, pg 168:

At the apex, below the the diamond-set globe, hang four large pear-shaped pearl drops. The drops were probably among a collection of pearls presented to Catherine de Medici by her uncle, Pope Clement VII. She gave them to Mary, Queen of Scots, who married Queen Catherine's son, the Dauphin of France. After Queen Mary's execution, her magnificient collection of pearls was bought by Queen Elizabeth I for 4,000 pounds. These became part of Queen Victoria's inheritance and the four pearls have been in the crown since 1838.

Pearls do lose their luster and become rather ugly if they are not used. I remember reading a story about how in Denmarks Jewel Collection their was a pearl parure(i think that is how u spell it) that had not been worn for years and looked hidious. It could not be worn in public. So Queen Ingrid, the Queen Mother began to wear them every night to bed and they soon got their luster and beaty back. They look really nice know. Queen Margareth even said she remembered the way they looked before and when her mother slept in them. Does body warmth make the pearls look nice. What is the connection. Pearls are my favorite "gem stone". They are my birth stone too and I just think they are so beautifull.

Lahore Diamond

Hallo
I would like to know the history of the Lahore Diamond pendent from diamond parure of queen Victoria. I now the Diamond from the earrings comes from Koh-I-Noor armlet that Queen Victoria got 1850 from the last King of the Punjab.
Thank you very much all your answers and many greetings.

According to Leslie Field's book, "The Queen's Jewels", page 54:

"Queen Victoria left her collet necklace and earrings to the Crown in 1901. They were made in 1858 from twenty-eight collet stones that she had removed from a Garter Badge and a ceremonial sword; she wore them when Winterhalter painted her portrait in 1859. The necklace added up to 161 carats, the nine largest stones weighing between 8.25 and 11.25 carats each. The pendant stone, known as the Lahore Diamond, and the drops in the earrings come from the Timur Ruby Necklace, taken from the Treasury of Lahore and presented to Queen Victoria by the Honourable East India Company in 1851."

Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara..... HM wears this tiara very often in recent years.

I really wish she could wear something else, give us admirers a chance to appreciate the beauty of her collection.

Last edited:
It looks very good on her. I think it's a more attractive tiara than the Burmese ruby one.

I am still waiting to see if the Queen will wear her mother's Boucheron Honeycomb Diamond Tiara.

It's less likely - the ruby one is part of the royal jewels handed down from Queen Victoria, so it has the sort of royal history that would appeal to the Queen, whereas the honeycomb tiara was a personal bequest to the Queen Mother from a non-royal friend. I suspect that it might be kept in reserve as a gift for Harry's wife or something.

I think the rubies look very glamourous with the Queen's white hair and the white of her gown making a nice background. IMHO rubies are kind of a tricky jewel to wear (Crown Princess Mary was born to wear them with her coloring) and that particular set looks wonderful on QEII.

Her Majesty looks quite lovely in this ruby tiara. She carries it all of splendidly.

The tiara and necklace look very good together, as did the ruby necklace she wore with the Oriental circlet. Sometimes her choice of necklace to go with her tiaras looks almost random, but this time I think she's matched up her jewels very nicely.

Only two strands of pearls for HM. I thought she was usually 3.

Am I just seeing things or does there appear to be something on the left side of the bow on her hat. Could somebody else confirm if something is there or if I am just going crazy? If something is there could anybody inform me as to what it may be? (My first though was a pin and my second was a bug.)

i think it is just a pin to maybe hold the bow, not sure. But i think it is meant to be there, whatever it is. It looks like a gold pin of some sort

I know that pins are used to keep the hat on the head, but I've no idea of HOW they work. :confused:
Perhaps we should open a thread about "hat pins". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom