Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras & Necklaces 1: Nov 2005-Nov 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, given that Leslie Fields worked directly with the Royal Household and the Queen on her book, I think it would be strange if the facts turned out to be different. She states the Burmese Ruby Tiara used diamonds from the Nizam piece, which was broken up to create other pieces. This is not unusual when it comes to private gifts to members of the royal family.

Diana did the same thing with some of the gifts she received from the Gulf emirs, which were later reset in other designs and pieces more to her liking.

Looking closely to the opal necklace (which probably could be worn as a tiara) and to the base of the tiara worn by Sophie, I think the two pieces are totally different. Their scroll design don't match. Still looking for a solution.
As far as I know, The Queen owns around 20 tiaras (or diadems, or circlets). But we're waiting for others to appear once.

Gaël LE BOLLOCQ said:
As far as I know, The Queen owns around 20 tiaras (or diadems, or circlets). But we're waiting for others to appear once.
Welcome to the Forums Gaël LE BOLLOCQ. :)
I've read estimates of anything up to 24-26 tiaras, but of course no one knows. The necklaces which can be converted may or may not be included in this figure. We have no idea what is in the vaults, what has been dismantled, or what has been acquired. It is unlikely that HM will be providing us with an inventory any time soon!

Last edited:
Did you guys see this one worn by the Queen when President da Silva from Brazil visited England? She made the tiara and other jewelry from stones given to her as gifts from Brazil over the years? I think she looks very nice, and I really like the tiara. Would you call it a tiara or a crown? :D

aa01a01.jpg

Courtesy of Polfoto.

Last edited:
Such a wonderful parure, and probably the nicest one in the world set with aquamarines.
That was a good idea to wear it on that state banquet with the President of Brazil...
Most of these jewels were given to The Queen by the People of Brazil. The earrings end the necklace (which pendant has been reset) were coronation gifts. There was later a brooch which setting is very close from the pendant of the necklace, and that the Queen sometimes wear with the parure.
The Queen had a simple tiara made to match the set and later transformed it using stones from a hair comb which was a new gift, with a bracelet which can't be seen on this picture, but was worn that night.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question, from whom did the Queen inherit the Russian Kokoshnick Tiara, I know it belonged to Queen Alexandra, and then where did it go? Why not to one of Alexandra's daughters? Duchess of Fife or Queen Maud?

auntie said:
I have a question, from whom did the Queen inherit the Russian Kokoshnick Tiara, I know it belonged to Queen Alexandra, and then where did it go? Why not to one of Alexandra's daughters? Duchess of Fife or Queen Maud?

After HM the Queen Alexandra, it was often used by HM the Queen Mary & is now a dear favourite of HM the Queen, hence it's current and constant use.

"MII"

King Khalid necklace is beautiful, but what was HM thinking to pair it with such an unsuitable neckline? (The blue dress with the bow!) post #74

Melania said:
Did you guys see this one worn by the Queen when President da Silva from Brazil visited England?
I love aquamarine's this is a beautiful set, the Queen should wear it more often!

According to Leslie Fields, the Brazilian Aquamarine parure is one of The Queen's favorites.

auntie said:

Queen Alexandra died without a will, but Leslie Fields stated in her book that George V designated all jewels that were gifts to his mother from civic bodies, the peerage, the royal family and Queen Victoria as belonging to the Crown (including the Russian headpiece tiara).

Does anybody have pics of the diamond necklace the queen wore with the girls of great britian tiara in australia. Whats the history.

Hmm, I love the aquamarine set but I don't like it on the Queen. It seems to overpower her.

ysbel said:
Hmm, I love the aquamarine set but I don't like it on the Queen. It seems to overpower her.

I completely agree Ysbel. The stones themselves are gorgeous, such a wonderful color, but I think they are too many and too large, especially when worn tiara, parure etc. all together. I do like them better on QEII this time around though, her white hair brings out the blue, but the set is still overwhelmingly large.

Princejohnny25 said:
Does anybody have pics of the diamond necklace the Queen wore with the Girls of Great Britian tiara in Australia. Whats the history.
Here's a close-up pic (don't you love watermarks?). The necklace doesn't appear in either the Fields or Menkes books.
pic (cropped) courtesy Getty Images

Queen Elizabeth in Canberra, March 06

AustTiara2.jpg

Are the necklace and earings new. They match and it looks like the necklace can become a tiara.

Princejohnny25 said:
Are the necklace and earings new. They match and it looks like the necklace can become a tiara.
Neither the necklace nor earrings are new; she was wearing them in the 70s.
On a frame the necklace would make a rather impressive tiara, but I can't find any information on it.

Princejohnny25 said:

I also thought the parure was new. Until I realised I had, myself, confused the necklace with the King Faisal's diamond fringe necklace, which The Queen wears very often with her girandoles earrings and seems to belong to her prefered list.
But the size of the stones is very different (the second parure ends down with larger pear-cut diamonds) and they "spray" differently (the second necklace goes all around the neck).
This "new" parure really looks like a smaller version of the other one and the Queen has worn them two alternately.
Anyway it is interesting to figure how smaller are the stones from the "most recent" jewels The Queen has got : the Qatar's ruby swag necklace and earrings, the waterfall pear-cut emerald waterfall necklace, earrings and bracelet or the sapphire waterfall necklace, trefoil earrings and bracelet (which she wore recently with The Prime Minister).
Does anyone have informations about the emerald and the sapphire parure ?

Here's an older pic of HM and the necklace.
Pic courtesy Getty Images

Kokoshnik Tiara & 'nameless' diamond necklace & earrings

EIIRKokoshnikTiaraNecklace.jpg

I do like the necklace and earrings but don't care much for the Kokoshnik Tiara. I think its a little too modern or Art Deco (?) for me.

kerry said:
I do like the necklace and earrings but don't care much for the Kokoshnik Tiara. I think its a little too modern or Art Deco (?) for me.

I don't agree. I think the tiara looks very precious. Above all, it is very unique (so different from the usual fringe tiaras owned by most of royal families).
It is indeed very geometric (just like The Queen Mother's honeycomb tiara, for example) and looks wonderful when it is worn with other geometric design jewels. For example, The Queen wore it once with : her chandeliers earrings (given to her by her mother who had inherited them from Mrs. Greville), her three row collet necklace (present from her father), the Cullinan 3 & 4 brooch and her wide engagement present bracelet (from her husband).
But The Queen rarely tries to match her jewels...
The necklace would look better with a simpler tiara like the Hyderabad one. Wouldn't it ?

What about the Queen's wedding ring? I know it was made of diamonds from one of Prince Phillip's mother's tiara (I think that is right), but I have not been able to find a decent picture of the ring. Surely this will become a very important historic piece in the royal collection. Do you think it will be left to the crown jewels or to a family member? Also, what about Diana's ring? William got it right? Thanks if you can help. :D

The Queen's engagement ring was made from diamonds that had originally belonged to Philip's mother. Her wedding ring was made from a piece of Welsh gold (the same nugget provided the gold for the Queen Mother's wedding ring and also Diana's). AFAIK Diana's sapphire ring was left to William but someone else may be able to clarify.

kerry said:

Hmm, kerry, I don't like the Kokoshnik Tiara in itself, but I must admit it makes a more stunning impression from a distance than other tiaras I like more.

For example, in this picture of Queen Alexandra with her mother Queen Luise of Denmark and daughter Princess Victoria, I like Princess Victoria's Fife tiara much better but the Kokoshnik on Alexandra really grabs your attention. From Victoria and Albert.

group.jpg
fife.jpg

alex.jpg

Can somebody post a pic and give some info on the fringe necklace the Queen wore in Singapore. It had what looked like coral balls on the end of the spikes.

Mystery diamonds!

Not coral but diamonds.
No-one seems to know anything about this necklace apart from it being said to be a modern design, and therefore likely a gift.
Corbis.com & Nellie at RJotWMB.

'mystery' diamond necklace
Singapore March 2006

EIIRMysteryNecklace2SingaporeMar200.jpg

Last edited:
Warren said:
'mystery' diamond necklace post #155
Here is another wonderful sunray necklace. The Queen seems to appreciate this kind of design ; it is very close from the two Saudi Arabia's necklaces (King Khalid's and Faical's ones) and from the girandole one presented in post 133.
The Queen looks really elegant with all her fringe (or sunray) necklaces, which she has quite a few...

O wow I didnt see it up close before. Its very nice. Were are all these jewels coming from. The royal ladies are just having a free for all from the Royal vaults. Im liking this.

It seems as though a lot of the new jewellery in the royal family comes from the Middle East oil kingdoms.

Since The Queen usually wears the gifts she receives from various heads of state, it is likely the diamond necklace is a new gift from the City-State of Singapore that was presented to her during this official visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom