The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN View Post
One picture caught my eye because the very beautiful young Queen Elizabeth II was wearing a ruby necklace and matching pair of earings which I don't think I have seen before.
I am certain I've never seen them before and let's face it, they are not the sort of set you could overlook.
Those central rubies in both the necklace and the earrings are amazing. :w00t2:
I wonder where they are now? Anyone for a rummage through the much lauded "Vaults". Me first though!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN View Post
One picture caught my eye because the very beautiful young Queen Elizabeth II was wearing a ruby necklace and matching pair of earings which I don't think I have seen before.
HM is wearing Queen Mary's cluster earrings and the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Bandeau Necklace (refer Leslie Field p38).

Quoting Field:
For her 59th birthday in 1926 King George V presented Queen Mary with these earrings - large oval rubies each set in a cluster of nine brilliant-cut diamonds. Later that year, the Queen officially added them to the other pieces of ruby jewellery left to the Crown by Queen Victoria and Edward VII. The earrings were given to Princess Elizabeth by her parents in 1947.

The v-shaped diamond and ruby floral bandeau collar ending in a drop diamond pendant is of Victorian workmanship and was bought by George VI and Queen Elizabeth as a wedding gift for Princess Elizabeth.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Nobility

Thank you so much Warren for the very informative answer.
Please, please Your Majesty...Don't keep hiding these wonderful pieces.
We want more sightings! Please lend them more often to HRH the Princess Royal or HRH the Duchess of Cornwall or HRH the Countess of Wessex for our benefit! If you are not interested in wearing them, that is.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Courtier

Well, dear people, this thread is more than my frail body and shattered nerves can stand. I am just, please excuse me Warren and She Who Must Be Obeyed, I just cannot help it, I am DROOLING. I will have to go get chocolate ice cream or call the men (shudder, almost as dreaded as SWMBO) with needles drawn to calm my over excited nerves.

1. Queen Mary even in EXCESS is glorious. In the coronation photo I just wish she had left off that top, ridiculous little diamond necklace and the six big ones would have been just perfect.
2. Camilla in the Saudi sapphire goodie is just magnificent. Marvelous. If only they had cut the ruby breastplate down to a somilar size. Maybe a row of nine with five suspenced in a second row and used the remains to constuct a ruby and diamond tiara and earings it would have been perfect.
3. As for Queen Elizabeth's ruby and diamond bandeau necklace I have always loved it along with those earings. I just wish she had the tiara to go with it. But the bandeau necklace alone without a doubt is a masterpiece.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:09 AM
Administrator

I've moved the posts discussing the Australian Wattle Brooch to the Broochs thread.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Glitter pic!

From the State Banquet for King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Buckingham Palace, October 2007.

* courtesy of Tamara at RJOTWMB *

¨
Old 10-31-2007, 04:36 AM
Aristocracy

She really likes that tiara! Who could blame her, it's beautiful and very regal. Maybe it's comfortable to wear as well, she seems to use it more and more the older she gets.
What necklace and earrings is she wearing? I don't remember seeing that set before. A gift from the King?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
Royal Highness

That is the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara; it was a wedding gift for Queen Mary. When her granddaughter, then Princess Elizabeth (now QEII) became engaged, she gave the tiara to her as a wedding gift. Queen Elizabeth refers to it as "Granny's tiara" and wears it often because it is apparently very lightweight. The necklace/earrings are considered to be a gift from King Abdullah--Queen Elizabeth is very considerate in that when she visits or is visited she wears pieces she has been given in the past by the dignitary. Camilla was wearing a necklace and earrings from King Abdullah as well.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I've just wonder which one of her tiaras and necklaces does she wore the most often? Which one of them is her favourite?
Any ideas?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
From the State Banquet for King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Buckingham Palace, October 2007.

* courtesy of Tamara at RJOTWMB *

¨
Well is impossible make a count of any time she were each tiara. But my beat go for this one...
Thanks Warren for the wonderful pic, like always...
Old 11-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99 View Post
Camilla was wearing a necklace and earrings from King Abdullah as well.
Is the necklace the much discussed 'ruby breastplate'? I'm pretty sure that was from Saudi.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Is the necklace the much discussed 'ruby breastplate'? I'm pretty sure that was from Saudi.
No it was the sapphire Necklace.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 11-01-2007, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

The "Ruby Breastplate" can be found here:
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/200...01_328x450.jpg

These are the sapphires:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Duchess of Cornwall tonight (Photo)
(courtesy of Boffer on RJOTWMB)

Both sets are from King Abdullah--he also gave her a parue of emeralds, but we haven't seen it yet.
Here is the Delhi Durbar Tiara that Camilla has worn:
http://image63.webshots.com/63/9/0/3...4wGPnyJ_ph.jpg

ACtually, here is a link to a some great pics of Camilla in her jewels:
Cornwall

As for tiaras, HM Queen Elizabeth wears the Girls of Great Britain,
http://image62.webshots.com/62/1/1/9...2ITfVFD_fs.jpg
Grand Duchess Vladimir, and now the Oriental Circlet quite often.
Here is a link, same website, to a section on her jewels:
Tiara QEII

The site is up now, but sometimes it isn't--but it is worth the wait if its down. I love it. It's an addiction site for me!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really prefer Camilla's sapphire necklace to the ruby one. The rubies are one row too many for my taste. I would take the bottom row off and make it a tiara to match.

As far as the girls of GB tiara, not only is it lightweight, but the carat weight is distributed evenly around, which would reduce the chance of it slipping. Some of these tiaras that have a lot of large stones in front tapering down dramatically at the sides and back might not have great balance on the head.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:56 PM

Hola! Picture
The Queen's rubies: The necklace which I believe someone said before in this thread belonged to Queen Victoria, and the tiara which I am unfamiliar with, and a pair of earrings matching the necklace.
I tried to find the tiara on Royal Magazin and looked for info. on Danjel's site. I also looked through this entire thread but didn't see anything about this particular tiara.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:22 PM
Administrator

This is her newest tiara, commissioned from Garrards in 1973 and made of diamonds and Burmese rubies. Better pic:

This is what Field has to say about the ruby necklace:

"The nineteenth-century necklace of rubies surrounded by diamonds has a chatelaine centre in a design of currant leaves and clusters of fruit that can be detached and worn as a stomacher or hair ornament. It was sold at Sotheby's by a member of the Baring family in April 1964 and purchased on behalf of Her Majesty."
Old 11-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Royal Highness

While the size of the stones is impressive, I have to confess that this is my least favorite tiara of HM. Something is just a little off--I vastly prefer the Oriental Circlet with the little rubies in it.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Nobility

I just love the girls of GB! I have always loved it. I wish that I had a copy of it! I would wear it around the house and ask my husband where are my maids and cook. haha
Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Royal Highness

Looking at the Holas link, it is always nice to see the Rose of York bracelet---

Old 11-08-2007, 12:29 PM

Thank you, Warren. I found another great pic of the Burmese ruby tiara.
See picture from Naergi's website.

I cannot say that this tiara impresses me very much, apart from the size and shape of the rubies, which are fantastic by themselves. But I think I agree with some others about the motif not being so impressive. I think that the tiara might look nice on HM, though, with other jewels. It doesn't really match the Victorian ruby necklace, does it? Maybe the Coronation necklace would look nice with it. ??

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewellery, necklaces, queen elizabeth ii, tiaras