The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:14 AM
Administrator

We have a thread, the Jewels of Queen Mary, where this issue is discussed.

Old 05-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Aristocracy

Throughout the centuries EII's ancestors have amassed beautiful tiaras through a variety of means from downright horrifying tactics to legal purchases from those in dire financial need. So with this huge collection I am wondering why she does not loan more of them out to her royal relations for the society events they enjoy attending?

If these gorgeous symbols of class were allowed to circulate royal females would be even more dazzling, which would certainly reflect back in public opinion for the monarchy. It makes sense, doesn't it?

Old 05-17-2006, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Sapphires!

Courtesy Tim Graham/Getty images
How many engagement rings in this parure?

EIIR: Diamond and Sapphire Tiara, Necklace & Earrings

Old 05-17-2006, 08:31 AM

Thank you, Warren. That sapphire necklace looks just like the ruby one from the Queen Mother's collection. The stones are the same shape and everything. The Queen sometimes wears the ruby one, doesn't she? I think the ruby one was another relic of Queen Mary's vast collection?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:18 PM
Commoner

The Ruby necklace previouly worn by the Queen Mother was left to the crown by Queen Victoria. It was originally set with opals.
Queen Alexandra had it reset, with the tiara, the earrings and the brooches (2 or 4?) with rubies.
The sapphires in the necklace are rectangular while the rubies are more oblong. But it design of the two necklaces is very close : diamond clusters interspaced with diamond collets and a long pendant.
I always thought the sapphire tiara could be a necklace that had fixed upside down (spikes instead of pendants, and chain links...). Does anyone know exactly the conditions of its fabrication ?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:43 PM
Aristocracy

Does Queen Elizabeth own an amethyst tiara at all? If not it's even more of a shame that the Queen Mother sold the amethyst set.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Courtier

DEar Members,

Here I go drooling again. But the picture of above of QEII with her sapphires is really quite stunning. Which in a way is amazing. The tiara, as far as design is concerned really is a flop-or at the best light a mediocre just pass. But the necklace and the beauty of the gems themselves redeam everything. They just need to take the tiara and get a few more gems and redo the thing.

BTW I must ask the impertinant question, since I am a computer and whatever mongoloid-what on earth is Nunn syndication? Is it the code into your vast vault of goodies that you keep hidden away and only go salivating over during the dark of a full moon? cheers. Thomas Parkman
Old 07-19-2006, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Parkman
BTW I must ask the impertinant question, since I am a computer and whatever mongoloid-what on earth is Nunn syndication? Is it the code into your vast vault of goodies that you keep hidden away and only go salivating over during the dark of a full moon? cheers. Thomas Parkman
No salivating over Nunn, Thomas. Nunn Syndication is a photo agency that owns the copyright to their pics. Nunn have requested that all their images be removed from this site...or else. So every page of every thread of every forum of TRF has been progressively checked over the past week by the Moderating Team to remove all Nunn Syndication images.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Courtier

My view of Nunn Syndication cannot be printed in a family e mail forum, even one as broad minded as this one. I know, there are limits and Warren would contact the little men in white suits were I to really say what I think. What I think crude, vulgar, highly insulting Anglo-Saxon English. What harm is there is allowing a group of people to see all those lovely photos. The basis of it all is greed, pure and simple greed. After all what harm is there, apart from the damage to the computer screen, of my drooling over the latest goodie Warren has hauled out of his barn of some jewel bedecked and hopefully drop dead gorgeous royalty or other? World Class Party Poopers, that is what they are. Cheers.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, the copyright law exists to protect people who make a living producing photos and articles; if their work is splashed all over the internet where it's freely available to anyone, authors and artists won't be able to afford to continue doing their work. You may be doing nothing but drooling, but other people may be copying the photos and adding them to their websites where even more people can see them without the photographer getting paid.

The days of unquestioned free access to just about anything on the internet are coming to a rapid close, and people are having to adapt.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Is it possible that the Sunray Necklace worn by the Queen in Post111 is the unknown Sunray Tiara worn by Queen Victoria in one of her fabulous portraits?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:53 AM
Administrator

The Queen's necklace in that post was discussed elsewhere at the time and all that could be said was "modern design, therefore likely a gift, nothing else known."
Old 10-18-2006, 01:56 PM

A classic

(hellomagazine.com)
Old 10-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, very classic - White Queen

about jewellry http://www.mag-nolia.tmfweb.nl/Unite...ace%20QEII.htm
Old 11-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Serene Highness

Queen recently wore Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara, and lovely sapphire set- earrings, bracelet and necklace (NOVEMBER 21)

I don't know if this was posted yet:
NATIONAL PICTURES. QUEEN ELIZABETH'S WHITE WARDROBE, PARIS 1938 - AN EXHIBITION AT THE SUMMER OPENING OF BUCKINGHAM PALACE FROM 30 JULY TO 27 SEPTEMBER 2005. THE ORIENTAL CIRCLET, A DIAMOND AND RUBY TIARA ORIGINALLY MADE FOR QUEEN VICTORIA IN 1853 BY GARRARD, THE CROWN JEWELLER. IT WAS THEN SET WITH OPALS, PROBABLY TO THE DESIGNS OF PRINCE ALBERT.ALTERED IN 1888 AND AGAIN IN 1902.

http://img15.imagevenue.com/img.php?..._122_506lo.jpg
http://img145.imagevenue.com/img.php..._122_537lo.jpg
please notice me, if link falls
Old 12-01-2006, 04:07 AM
Nobility

Dogwood jewellery gift to QEII

Are any of our Canadian posters able to access archives etc. about the jewellery in a dogwood pattern, presented to QEII by the British Colombia gov. or people. I seem to remember it was a necklace.
A description and or a photo was be absolutely wonderful.
A short time ago, someone on GREMB, someone posted a garnet brooch etc that was a Bosnian gift, and so solved a mystery. I am unable to remember the year this gift was given.
I had a book at the time that wrote of it, but I cannot put my hands on it.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Commoner

FACT: The Nizam of Hyderabad tiara was dismantled decades ago to give way for the Burma Ruby Rose Tiara
Old 04-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Queen Mary
FACT: The Nizam of Hyderabad tiara was dismantled decades ago to give way for the Burma Ruby Rose Tiara
Not necessarily. Leslie Field says the Nizam was dismanted; Geoffrey Munn in the more recent Tiaras, A History of Splendour, says it wasn't.
Mr Munn is the acknowledged tiara expert, but even so, take your pick because we may never know for sure.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:05 AM
Commoner

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
I am still waiting to see if the Queen will wear her mother's Boucheron Honeycomb Diamond Tiara.
I don't think Her Majesty will wear it anytime soon because the tiara was loaned to the Duchess of Cornwall
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Royal Highness

I just saw HM The Queen on CSPAN at the Official State Dinner at the White House glittering from all those diamonds! She had on the Girls of Great Britain Tiara (and it is a lot bigger that I thought!), and what I think was the King George VI Festoon Necklace--and she was wearing white and looked just stunning. She was also wearing Queen Mary's True Lover's Knot Brooch (sigh.....). She conjured the bejeweled spirit of Queen Mary tonight!
CSPAN also showed clips of previous toasts at state dinners. I saw Queen Alexandra's Kokoshink tiara (I believe that was Eisenhower), the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara (with pearl drops),--with those she wore what appeared to be Queen Victoria's Golden Jubile Necklace and Queen Mary's pendant earrings (I think that was Reagan) --and the Sapphire tiara HM had made to go with the suite of sapphires her father gave her (Bush, Sr). I think that was order of the tiaras-

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewellery, necklaces, queen elizabeth ii, tiaras