Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras & Necklaces 1: Nov 2005-Nov 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
joye said:
Are any of our Canadian posters able to access archives etc. about the jewellery in a dogwood pattern, presented to QEII by the British Colombia gov. or people.
This brooch is part of a Bohemian garnet demi parure (brooch, necklace, bracelet and a pair of earrings), which was a present from the city of Brno—2nd largest city in Czech Republic—to the queen when she visited the city in 1996.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/garnets567622B.jpg

And just in case you wanted to know: Brno is located in the southeast part of the country, at the confluence of the Svitava and Svratka rivers. The city is a political and a cultural hub of the South Moravian Region (population est. 1,130,000 for the whole region). At the same time, it represents the centre of the province of Moravia, one of the historic lands of the Czech Crown. It is situated at the crossroads of ancient trade routes which have joined Northern and Southern European civilizations for centuries. Thanks to its location between the Bohemian-Moravian Highlands and the Southern Moravian lowlands, Brno enjoys a very pleasant and moderate climate.
Brno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Diamond rivieres

Hi, I was wondering how many rivieres of diamond collets are there in Queen Elizabeth II's collection.
We know from pictures that Queen Mary used to wear a lot of them from short ones to extra long ones. In Leslie Field's book there's a picture of her at the wedding of Pr.Viktoria Louise wearing nine(9)diamond necklaces.
There are also pictures where she wears 2 or three long rivieres of diamonds.
George VI presented his wife with 'five rivieres of perfectly matched large diamond collets'(from L. Field).
And there are, of course, the 2 collet necklaces left to the crown by Queen Victoria and the festoon necklace from GVI.
If we sum these up we reach at about 20 necklaces.
We know that Queen Mary gave to each of her daughter in law a diamond necklace and also to Pr. Margaret and maybe to Pr. Mary the Pr. Royal, too, but still there are plenty left.
Queen Elizabeth wore only the QV collet necklace, the festoon necklace and once or twice one single riviere of diamonds.
Will we ever see the rest?!

Hi, I was wondering how many rivieres of diamond collets are there in Queen Elizabeth II's collection.
A good question Andrew, but one probably along the same lines as "how many tiaras does the Queen own?" or "what jewels does she have hidden in the vaults?" :)

This picture illustrates one of the great mysteries of of British royalty, or any royalty for that matter..... Why does she look, well, right?

By any of the modern so-called dictums of good taste, she should look absolutely tacky! All decked out like a tree in search of Christmas!

Yet this woman was the epitomy of elegance. Almost every photo of her shows her wearing multitudes of 'serious' jewelry, and looking casually chic.

Oh I can't find the exact definition I am looking for, but pearls with diamonds?

Diamonds before dinner?

You name the rule ...... she broke it. And yet she got it seriously right. Who will pick up her torch and carry it?

Quite right. Whilst HM may be disinclined to wear too much jewellery, I think Camilla continues to get more and more grand (said in the nicest sense of the word!) - rarely is she now seen without a serious brooch or two, and for formal evening events, is usually bedecked in the jewellery of the QM. Current custom would not consider it appropriate for Camilla to dress like Queen Mary, but she will increasingly be dressed like the Queen Mother (notice she has recently also developed a fondness for gloves!)

Believe me, Muriel, after that "ruby breastplate" caper in Philly with bosoms and all, not to mention 36 ,no less, massive rubies, I think the noble Camilla is entirely capable of holding more than one candle to the magnificent Queen Mary. A mere seven diamond necklaces definately take second place to that massive, indeed awesome display. I understand that the Duchess Of Cornwall was also given emerald and sapphire parures. How does one write the good Duchess and tell her we are all waiting with baited breath for her to appear bedecked in splendid array with these hopefully incredible and monumental goodies.

Personally I only wish she had worn tiara and earings with the massive ruby thingie. It might have been just a bit overdone but in this day of over the top let us lack all modesty and be bold and brazenly shameless, at least where diamonds, emeralds, rubies, sapphires and pearls are concerned. At the very least we could have something else to carp about on the worst jewels thread, one of the most beloved cyberspace contraptions of all time-at least where I am concerned. Cheers.

I think Camilla has worn the sapphire necklace, albeit prior to going to Philly. She wore a sapphire and diamond necklance with a navy blue gown to a Prince´s Trust reception sometime in the winter of 2006/07 (I had previously seen it on the Duchess of Cornwall Jewellery Thread 3). It did not draw too much attention at the time (though somebody had commented that it looked new and was probably a present), as whilst it was a substantial piece of jewellery, it was not in the league of the Philly rubies necklace. She had not worn any sapphire earrings on the evening but had gone with the long diamond earrings she wore at her own wedding blessing. Not sure if anybody has seen it or can find it on the Doc Jewelley Thread 3 and copy it here (apologies for my limited IT skills!). It would be interesting to hear what the others have to say

That is a beautiful necklace--I love the sapphire drops. The Duchess looks wonderful in it, and that is also a very nice photo of the Royal Couple.

I think blue velvet suits her best of all and these gems really look good with that gown.:flowers:

A little bit off topic, but I was just wondering if anyone has any photos of the Kent Amethyst Demi-Parue that belonged to Queen Victoria's mother? I have read that there are two amethyst combs in the set but I cannot find a picture of them. If anyone would know, they're regulars on this site!

A little bit off topic, but I was just wondering if anyone has any photos of the Kent Amethyst Demi-Parue that belonged to Queen Victoria's mother?
The search function works. Here's a pic.

Thank you, Waren. What I actually meant, and see I didn't write, was did anyone have a photo of the hair combs that match the necklace, earrings, and brooch? I've not yet seen the combs!

For members who can get this week's Point de Vue (#3080, 1-7 August) there's a fantastic six pages on some of the jewels Princess Elizabeth received on her marriage in 1947.

The highlights: a one-page photo of Queen Mary's massive 3-part stomacher and the Cartier chandelier earrings in glorious colour, another page with the sapphire and diamond necklace presented by George VI, and a page with the Boucheron Mrs Greville diamond and ruby necklace. Granny's Tiara gets just half a page, but the pic is sharp and the diamonds are sparkling.

There are other trinkets shown such as the Nizam of Hyderabad necklace, a diamond bracelet, a diamond fringe necklace and yet another diamond fringe tiara...

Buy now! :D

I came across a website with wonderful pictures of HM The Queen and Princess Margaret.

One picture caught my eye because the very beautiful young Queen Elizabeth II was wearing a ruby necklace and matching pair of earings which I don't think I have seen before.

One picture caught my eye because the very beautiful young Queen Elizabeth II was wearing a ruby necklace and matching pair of earings which I don't think I have seen before.
I am certain I've never seen them before and let's face it, they are not the sort of set you could overlook. :ohmy:
Those central rubies in both the necklace and the earrings are amazing. :w00t2:
I wonder where they are now? Anyone for a rummage through the much lauded "Vaults". :innocent: Me first though! :prettyplease:

HM is wearing Queen Mary's cluster earrings and the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Bandeau Necklace (refer Leslie Field p38).

Quoting Field:
For her 59th birthday in 1926 King George V presented Queen Mary with these earrings - large oval rubies each set in a cluster of nine brilliant-cut diamonds. Later that year, the Queen officially added them to the other pieces of ruby jewellery left to the Crown by Queen Victoria and Edward VII. The earrings were given to Princess Elizabeth by her parents in 1947.

The v-shaped diamond and ruby floral bandeau collar ending in a drop diamond pendant is of Victorian workmanship and was bought by George VI and Queen Elizabeth as a wedding gift for Princess Elizabeth.

Thank you so much Warren for the very informative answer.
Please, please Your Majesty...Don't keep hiding these wonderful pieces.
We want more sightings! Please lend them more often to HRH the Princess Royal or HRH the Duchess of Cornwall or HRH the Countess of Wessex for our benefit! If you are not interested in wearing them, that is.

Well, dear people, this thread is more than my frail body and shattered nerves can stand. I am just, please excuse me Warren and She Who Must Be Obeyed, I just cannot help it, I am DROOLING. I will have to go get chocolate ice cream or call the men (shudder, almost as dreaded as SWMBO) with needles drawn to calm my over excited nerves.

1. Queen Mary even in EXCESS is glorious. In the coronation photo I just wish she had left off that top, ridiculous little diamond necklace and the six big ones would have been just perfect.
2. Camilla in the Saudi sapphire goodie is just magnificent. Marvelous. If only they had cut the ruby breastplate down to a somilar size. Maybe a row of nine with five suspenced in a second row and used the remains to constuct a ruby and diamond tiara and earings it would have been perfect.
3. As for Queen Elizabeth's ruby and diamond bandeau necklace I have always loved it along with those earings. I just wish she had the tiara to go with it. But the bandeau necklace alone without a doubt is a masterpiece.

Glitter pic!

From the State Banquet for King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Buckingham Palace, October 2007.

* courtesy of Tamara at RJOTWMB *



She really likes that tiara! Who could blame her, it's beautiful and very regal. Maybe it's comfortable to wear as well, she seems to use it more and more the older she gets.
What necklace and earrings is she wearing? I don't remember seeing that set before. A gift from the King?

That is the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara; it was a wedding gift for Queen Mary. When her granddaughter, then Princess Elizabeth (now QEII) became engaged, she gave the tiara to her as a wedding gift. Queen Elizabeth refers to it as "Granny's tiara" and wears it often because it is apparently very lightweight. The necklace/earrings are considered to be a gift from King Abdullah--Queen Elizabeth is very considerate in that when she visits or is visited she wears pieces she has been given in the past by the dignitary. Camilla was wearing a necklace and earrings from King Abdullah as well.

I've just wonder which one of her tiaras and necklaces does she wore the most often? Which one of them is her favourite?
Any ideas?

From the State Banquet for King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, Buckingham Palace, October 2007.

* courtesy of Tamara at RJOTWMB *



Well is impossible make a count of any time she were each tiara. But my beat go for this one... ;)
Thanks Warren for the wonderful pic, like always... :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom