The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's less likely - the ruby one is part of the royal jewels handed down from Queen Victoria, so it has the sort of royal history that would appeal to the Queen, whereas the honeycomb tiara was a personal bequest to the Queen Mother from a non-royal friend. I suspect that it might be kept in reserve as a gift for Harry's wife or something.

Old 11-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Courtier

Smile

I think the rubies look very glamourous with the Queen's white hair and the white of her gown making a nice background. IMHO rubies are kind of a tricky jewel to wear (Crown Princess Mary was born to wear them with her coloring) and that particular set looks wonderful on QEII.

Old 11-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Royal Highness

Her Majesty looks quite lovely in this ruby tiara. She carries it all of splendidly.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:08 PM
Heir Apparent

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1132963512
The Queen at the Dinner host for Commonwealth Leaders and their wives on Friday evening in Malta.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 11-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

The tiara and necklace look very good together, as did the ruby necklace she wore with the Oriental circlet. Sometimes her choice of necklace to go with her tiaras looks almost random, but this time I think she's matched up her jewels very nicely.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:45 AM

Only two strands of pearls for HM. I thought she was usually 3.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Gentry

Am I just seeing things or does there appear to be something on the left side of the bow on her hat. Could somebody else confirm if something is there or if I am just going crazy? If something is there could anybody inform me as to what it may be? (My first though was a pin and my second was a bug.)
Old 11-27-2005, 09:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

i think it is just a pin to maybe hold the bow, not sure. But i think it is meant to be there, whatever it is. It looks like a gold pin of some sort
Old 11-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Courtier

I know that pins are used to keep the hat on the head, but I've no idea of HOW they work.
Perhaps we should open a thread about "hat pins".
Old 11-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Aristocracy

I love aquamarines! My birthstone.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Aquamarine Tiara

Aquamarines it is then!
HM in her aquamarine parure, the stones being a gift from the Brazilian Government.

pic courtesy Getty Images

Old 11-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks Warren. Those gems are beautiful. I like the seafoam color better on HM with white hair though!
Old 11-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Not the most flattering pic of her Majesty. That is a huge Parure. The gems are gigantic. It must way a ton.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
Not the most flattering pic of her Majesty. That is a huge Parure. The gems are gigantic. It must way a ton.
indeed not too flattering. albeit majestic. the gems are a bit TOO huge, imho.

if another princess wears this parure in the future, i suspect she'll have the court jewelers 'downsize' the tiara a little.

the extra jewels could be used nicely to make other pieces.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Some scans I made today:
source: The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II by Leslie Field

President Ayub Khan of Pakistan necklace

King Faisal of Saudi Arabia necklace

King Khalid of Saudi Arabia necklace

Four row choker

Pear drop earrings

Old 12-04-2005, 05:13 AM
Nobility

Thankyou for great photos.
I see the Queen is wearing ruby necklace, also worn by Queen Mum. Again Crown Property, refer Page 129 ,Susy Menkes book. Quote - The Queen knows that (Mummie willgive back one day).
The day was in Malta.
signed HRH
Old 12-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Nobility

Whay I mean is the Queen Mum retained the ruby jewellery,that is tiara, necklace, earrings. They were crown property, and QEII, actually had first choice, but she allowed her mother their wearing. The quote wasnot typed correctly by me, and should say ( I know Mummie will give them back one day) meaning returning crown property.

signed HRH
Old 12-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Courtier

Thankyou for calrifying joye...

The necklace you see from the State visit to Malta (ruby and diamond) was actually a wedding present to the then Princess Elizabeth off her parents upon her marriage to Philip of Greece & Denmark. It is not part of crown property but a personal item belonging solely to HM the Queen. But, I take it you are talking about this set.

"MII"
Old 12-05-2005, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
I know that pins are used to keep the hat on the head, but I've no idea of HOW they work.
Perhaps we should open a thread about "hat pins".
A hat pin is similar to a tie pin.
On one end you have a motif (A jewel, Ball of gold or something like that) to stop it going all the way through. It goes through the hat, then your hair, (secured by a grip to keep your hair in place), through the hat again and secured by screwing or pushing another 'ball' or jewel mounted 'shape' on the sharp end.:)
I hope this helps explain the mysteries of hat pins!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by joye
Thankyou for great photos.
I see the Queen is wearing ruby necklace, also worn by Queen Mum. Again Crown Property, refer Page 129 ,Susy Menkes book. Quote - The Queen knows that (Mummie willgive back one day).
The day was in Malta.
signed HRH
The Queen's ruby necklace was a gift to her from the Emir of Qatar in 1985.

The ruby parure worn by the Queen Mother was originally set with opals and left to the Crown by Queen Victoria in 1901. Queen Alexandra believed opals bring bad luck and had the parure, along with the Indian tiara, reset with Burmese rubies she and Queen Victoria had received over the years from the Indian princes.

Tags
elizabeth ii, jewellery, necklaces, queen elizabeth ii, tiaras