Queen Elizabeth II Tiaras & Necklaces 1: Nov 2005-Nov 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is in a name.

Try this click on the horn to hear the word pronounced pa·rure
(p
schwa.gif
-r
oobreve.gif
r
prime.gif
)
KEY

Does anybody recognise the diamond necklace the Queen has worn for the gala dinner in Uganda? Is this not the one that was worn in Singapore last year, when HM stopped on her way back from Aus? Seems like quite a modern design. Once again, the Girls of GB..... got an outing - it really must be HMs favourite tiara!

Yes it's the same modern diamond necklace which was worn in Singapore and for the Bush state visit as well. So far, there's no information at all about its provenance. By the way, Queen Elizabeth looks wonderful but I wish she wouldn't go for the all-white evening look so frequently - it has a rather too icy quality. White gown, white hair and pale complexion could use a nice touch of color regarding the choice of jewelry.

Yes it's the same modern diamond necklace which was worn in Singapore and for the Bush state visit as well. So far, there's no information at all about its provenance. By the way, Queen Elizabeth looks wonderful but I wish she wouldn't go for the all-white evening look so frequently - it has a rather too icy quality. White gown, white hair and pale complexion could use a nice touch of color regarding the choice of jewelry.
Thanks Boris. I think evening wear in white / creme suits HM, and certainly adds to the regal look and image!

She always looks wonderful, but I wouldn't mind a little color every now and again....

The Duchess of Cornwall's gifts (eg the Saudi parures) stay with the Crown, as do (we assume) the gifts HM receives. As these jewels will in effect be passed from Sovereign to Sovereign the difference as to whether they are "private" or "state" is sort of moot.

Buckingham Palace (and most Royal Houses) tend not to answer questions about their jewellery collections. Suzy Menkes, in the introduction to her book "The Royal Jewels" states that she was "actively discouraged [by] Buckingham Palace" in some of her research.

All of the jewels received by members of the royal family during a public engagement or state visit are considered their private property, to be disposed of as they wish. Jewels received by The Sovereign or a Queen Consort on a state visit usually are accepted on behalf of the Crown, but there is no requirement to do so.

The Saudi ruby, emerald and sapphire parures presented to The Duchess of Cornwall were intended as private gifts, however, once the press starting harping on it, suddenly they became "on behalf of the Crown" due to the questioning of whether she should pay a gift tax. Never mind that other members of the royal family never pay gift taxes.

This thread has reached ten pages, so it's time for me to start a new thread, which can be found here. Thanks for posting, and we hope to see everyone in Queen Elizabeth II's Tiaras & Necklaces, Part 2. :crown3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom