Queen Elizabeth II Jewels 3: January 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Mary did give away jewels to minor branches of the family but given the nature of inheritance laws in the UK, I think most of her jewels found their way down the main line to HM The Queen.

Queen Mary did give away jewels to minor branches of the family but given the nature of inheritance laws in the UK, I think most of her jewels found their way down the main line to HM The Queen.
A lot went off to the Kents, Gloucesters and other children of George V and QM, which dud not even up back in the main line. You only need to see the Gloucester collection (6 tiaras? ) to get a sense of how much ended up outside the main line of the BRF.

A lot went off to the Kents, Gloucesters and other children of George V and QM, which dud not even up back in the main line. You only need to see the Gloucester collection (6 tiaras? ) to get a sense of how much ended up outside the main line of the BRF.

I mean The Queen got like 9 tiaras or more from Queen Mary.

Actually many she didn't get from her grandmother, she got from her mother.

Queen Mary had basically three categories. There were the Crown Jewels abd royal collection which automatically pass to next monarch. She had private jewels she inherited from Alexandra and Victoria. And then she had her magpie pieces, those she personally acquired over years.

The ones she inherited, that were private, for the most part like the royal collection, went to the queen mum. There are exceptions. Those she acquired personally she was extremely generous with her daughter in laws and family.

There is no accurate record of how many pieces she acquired. Or how many remained in the main line and how many left it. The Gloucestets certainly have a fine selection of hers.

As there is no known amount of pieces she owned, it's pretty hard to even guess hpw many ended up with the queen.

Actually many she didn't get from her grandmother, she got from her mother.

Queen Mary had basically three categories. There were the Crown Jewels abd royal collection which automatically pass to next monarch. She had private jewels she inherited from Alexandra and Victoria. And then she had her magpie pieces, those she personally acquired over years.

The ones she inherited, that were private, for the most part like the royal collection, went to the queen mum. There are exceptions. Those she acquired personally she was extremely generous with her daughter in laws and family.

There is no accurate record of how many pieces she acquired. Or how many remained in the main line and how many left it. The Gloucestets certainly have a fine selection of hers.

As there is no known amount of pieces she owned, it's pretty hard to even guess hpw many ended up with the queen.
I think Queen Mary gave majority of her personal jewels to The Queen not the Queen mom. Whats the difference between the crown jewels and the royal collection?

:previous: Like her daughter in laws Marina and Alice, Mary left a huge assortment to The queen mum. This includes the Delhi Dubar tiara and the fringe tiara Elizabeth II wore on her wedding. The queen often borrowed, but they belonged to her mother until 2002. Unlike the royal collection which belonged to the monarch, these were the queen mums personal inheritance and didn't pass to her daughter until she died.

As has been explained, the Crown Jewels refer to the official state jewels. These are the crowns, sceptre and other pieces used in only the most official occasions like a coronation. The royal collection, like the Crown Jewels, belong to whoever is on the throne. They automatically pass. These are jewels that can be used on any occasion. Any jewels that date before queen Victoria, belong to the royal collection. These can be worn as chosen but not sold or given away to other members. They can and are added to at times, like jewels from tours.

Her private jewels she had were inherited from her mother in law or acquired. As continually discussed, she shared these with all three daughter in laws, as well as Elizabeth. There is no way of remotely estimating how many pieces Elizabeth inherited as there was no total to start with.

Fortunately unlike the Kents, the Gloucrsters have managed to maintain ownership of some incredible pieces she gave Alice.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2016/06/20/the-duchess-of-gloucesters-tiaras/

Last edited:
:previous: Like her daughter in laws Marina and Alice, Mary left a huge assortment to The queen mum. This includes the Delhi Dubar tiara and the fringe tiara Elizabeth II wore on her wedding. The queen often borrowed, but they belonged to her mother until 2002. Unlike the royal collection which belonged to the monarch, these were the queen mums personal inheritance and didn't pass to her daughter until she died.

As has been explained, the Crown Jewels refer to the official state jewels. These are the crowns, sceptre and other pieces used in only the most official occasions like a coronation. The royal collection, like the Crown Jewels, belong to whoever is on the throne. They automatically pass. These are jewels that can be used on any occasion. Any jewels that date before queen Victoria, belong to the royal collection. These can be worn as chosen but not sold or given away to other members. They can and are added to at times, like jewels from tours.

Her private jewels she had were inherited from her mother in law or acquired. As continually discussed, she shared these with all three daughter in laws, as well as Elizabeth. There is no way of remotely estimating how many pieces Elizabeth inherited as there was no total to start with.

Fortunately unlike the Kents, the Gloucrsters have managed to maintain ownership of some incredible pieces she gave Alice.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2016/06/20/the-duchess-of-gloucesters-tiaras/

The Queen also got amazing jewels from her queen mother as well.

Of course HM got some beautiful pieces from her mother. Charles also came into some really nice pieces that we're seeing Camilla wear now (including Camilla's engagement ring). When the time comes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Queen left her wedding bracelet to Kate as she is the only one to ever wear that bracelet besides HM. That bracelet would be classified as a personal belonging of the Queen.

This is a good article that will fill you in on quite a bit of information regarding the Queen's jewels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II's_jewels#Ownership_and_value

Last edited:
The Queen also got amazing jewels from her queen mother as well.

Indeed. A mix. Like other queen consorts, the queen mum had two forms. She had those she inherited and those she acquired.

Beyond the royal collection which she had control of when queen consort, she inherited personally pieces like fringe tiara from Queen Mary. These passed to Elizabeth on her death.

But her husband was also very generous. They were fans of Art Deco style jewelry. Many beautiful pieces were inherited by Elizabeth that her father had gifted her mother.

Some passed on before. One of my favorites is her stunning brooch which had originally been a gift from her father to the queen mum. But her parents gave it to her for her birthday.
http://queensjewelvault.blogspot.ca/2016/04/the-queen-mothers-multi-color-leaf.html

Last edited:
Of course HM got some beautiful pieces from her mother. Charles also came into some really nice pieces that we're seeing Camilla wear now (including Camilla's engagement ring) . . . . .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II's_jewels#Ownership_and_value
It is my understanding, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, that the QM left her estate in its entirety, to her daughter, the Queen in a direct Sovereign to Sovereign transfer, thus avoiding any tax whatsoever.

Thus, any jewellery from the QM's collection worn by Camilla, is at the express direction of the Queen. If HMQM left them to Charles, or even if his mother had gifted them to him, with his penchant for gifting his wife exquisite jewellery, I am sure we would have seen a lot more by now,

More than likely, you are the correct one here and not me. Your explanation makes more sense than having the Queen Mother bequeath jewelry to Charles.

She may have expressed wishes to her daughter that certain pieces would be made available for Charles to use but again, I think you're right on the money that it most likely was a sovereign to sovereign transfer.

Learning more and more as I go. :D

Its a beautiful and classical looking tiara and a firm favourite of H.M.Queen Elizabeth and I didn't realise it has grace so many royal heads!

HM is wearing the Centenary Rose brooch today for the garden party at BP

The Queen wore the greater Nizam brooch today after a long time

It's the Nizam Hyderabad brooch. She just hasn't wore it in a while. Second time we have seen it this week.

no, there are two different brooches

Attachments

• QEbrooches.jpg
    QEbrooches.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 207
Oh I see it's different from the one she wore the other day. Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom