Queen Elizabeth II Jewels 3: January 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had no idea of the history behind the pearl necklaces. Must be kinda nerve wracking to even wear such pieces from the 1700’s. Walking around hoping nothing breaks.

I had no idea of the history behind the pearl necklaces. Must be kinda nerve wracking to even wear such pieces from the 1700’s. Walking around hoping nothing breaks.

They get restrung when necessary - why would they break?

That's why they invented Ladies in Waiting. ?

:previous: Well, since all the pearls are knotted, you would only have to look for one pearl.

If only....Herr Majesty would let me play in those brooches!!!! She is a vision!!!!!

As far as I know, the Queen's sapphire bracelet was bought at the same time as the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha sapphire necklace, which was converted into a tiara. I believe I read that on RJWMB.
Also, the horseshoe elements in the sapphire bracelet ar larger than those in Queen Elizabeth's bracelet (which also happend to have a sapphire section).

Hope that answers your question! :flowers:

Yes, probably they are different pieces-the horseshoe-shape got me wondering...
I can't stop thinking about the 2 (publicly)unworn sapphire tiaras that jewel books keep mentioning.
None of them would have fitted the victorian sapphire suite?
The queen should have waited a couple more years and buy back the Kent sapphire tiara...

:previous: That would mean she would have had to assume the Kents were going to want to sell the tiara. Many aristocratic (non royal) families have tiaras. She couldn't assume her cousins would want to hand it back. Turns out they did but hindsight.

Other then the sapphire bandeau, we don't know what the other sapphire tiaras may look like. Its quite possible the queen wanted a more modern looking sapphire tiara. As we see in the Meghan wedding tiara discussion, beauty of tiaras is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited:
She received it from "Granny" without its base. She surmised it was because she was young and it was probably considered big enough. Check out Queen Mary using all its elements.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uKH3gO_4...AFBg/nF-r-4duMQU/s640/QueenMaryGirlsTiara.jpg

And here, how the Queen received it with it's brown wrapped wire.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gqhBMYm1...4cHCCQd_XvwGfGgVsewPD78QCLcB/s320/_girls3.jpg

And now;

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uKH3gO_4...AFBg/nF-r-4duMQU/s640/QueenMaryGirlsTiara.jpg

No, it’s the Girls of Great Britain Tiara but without the base. It’s hard to recognize it because she usually wear it with the base.

No it is not the Girls tiara. I was discovered at the Royal Jewels MB some time ago that it was a loan from Lord Plunket. Apparenly the tiara she was supposed to wear broke at the last minute and so she got this as a loan for the Event.

I thought it wasn't the 'girls'.. the characteristic 'swags' not being visible...

Wow. The pear shaped stone is about the size of Mary's nose. Worn on the bodice, it makes her not inconsiderable bosom appear smaller than it usually seemed. And the cut on the square stone is sublime!

I'm happy to see it out and about, again!

Its truly a magnificent brooch and shone like the brightest star on "The Coronation" documentary tonight on BBC1.

I can't wait until it comes to either BBC or Netflix!

LaRae

The chips did show up very clearly on the dark plain fabric.

I loved how in the Coronation documentary the Queen commented with reference to her brooch and the Imperial State Crown that the Cullinan diamonds being reunited for perhaps the first time since they were cut.
However, it would appear Queen Mary had reunited them before!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom