Queen Elizabeth II Jewels 3: January 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How many pieces of jewelry does Queen Elizabeth II in her private collection?

I've always been fascinated on how much jewels The Queen personally owns not the crown jewels but what she inherited from her family, jewels from her wedding, coronations, and royal tours. Does anyone know the total number of her personally jewels she has? How many tiaras does she personally own?

Her tiaras. There is also the strathmore rose and those worn by Anne which may be on loan or actually gifted. Gifted is quite possible.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: TIARAS & CROWNS

Any tiaras that date back before Victoria, are owned by the crown and pass monarch to monarch. Any since then are private property Of the monarch. They can choose to add them to the crown collection.

According to this, the queen owns over 300 pieces of jewelry privately

http://people.com/archive/yank-lesl...ich-history-of-the-queens-jewels-vol-29-no-3/

Last edited:
Her tiaras. There is also the strathmore rose and those worn by Anne which may be on loan or actually gifted. Gifted is quite possible.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: TIARAS & CROWNS

Any tiaras that date back before Victoria, are owned by the crown and pass monarch to monarch. Any since then are private property Of the monarch. They can choose to add them to the crown collection.

According to this, the queen owns over 300 pieces of jewelry privately

Yank Leslie Field Traces the Rich History of the Queen's Jewels

Does that include today? She has over 300? How much are in the crown jewels left by Queen Victoria?

I think that David Linley and Sarah Chatto might have gifted the Crown with a few of PM's more historic jewels for a tax consideration.

No. Seems last time someone tried to count her jewels was in the eighties. But buying tiaras and other major jewels has not been common in the past thirty years. The majority of jewels recieved on foreign tours put into the crown collection not private.

The official Crown Jewels there are 141 pieces.

The royal collection there is no actual count. The royal collection is everything from jewelry to painting, furniture, decor and more. Estimates have been any where from 500,000 to 2 million pieces. But most of that isn't jewelry. The number changes every year as added with gifts from tours.

Last edited:
No. Seems last time someone tried to count her jewels was in the eighties. But buying tiaras and other major jewels has not been common in the past thirty years. The majority of jewels recieved on foreign tours put into the crown collection not private.

The royal collection there is no actual count. The royal collection is everything from jewelry to painting, furniture, decor and more. Estimates have been any where from 500,000 to 2 million pieces. But most of that isn't jewelry. The number changes every year as added with gifts from tours.

i think it's new jewellery from foreign tours that is going to be put into the crown collection like the ones that camila got in the recent years but the pieces that the queen got in the 70's 80's and 90's are private .

i think that 300 is very law estimate maybe they counted pieces like this as one .

What;s the difference between the crown jewels and the royal collection jewlery? So is it safe to say she has 500 pieces of jewelry? How much did she inherit from Queen Mary?

The Crown Jewels are the regalia and vestments used by Kings and Queens for their coronations and other State Occasions They are owned by the State and in most cases were paid for by the State when they were first purchased or created.

The Royal Collection is the Trust which holds items owned by the Royal Family in an official capacity, some have come from official sources some have come from private sources but from a long time ago ( I think the general rule is anything from before Queen Victoria is considered as state property) . Over the generations some royals, such as Queen Victoria, have left certain items of their jewellery to be worn by future Queens, these items are thus not owned by the current Queen but used by her (and her mother before her).

When Leslie Fields wrote her book in the late 80s it stated the Queen has 300 items of jewellery. I would imagine given she has inherited many of her mothers items since then and received a number of items of jewellery as official gifts that number is now much higher.

Last edited:
The Crown Jewels are the regalia and vestments used by Kings and Queens for their coronations and other State Occasions They are owned by the State and in most cases were paid for by the State when they were first purchased or created.

The Royal Collection is the Trust which holds items owned by the Royal Family in an official capacity, some have come from official sources some have come from private sources but from a long time ago ( I think the general rule is anything from before Queen Victoria is considered as state property) . Over the generations some royals, such as Queen Victoria, have left certain items of their jewellery to be worn by future Queens, these items are thus not owned by the current Queen but used by her (and her mother before her).

When Leslie Fields wrote her book in the late 80s it stated the Queen has 300 items of jewellery. I would imagine given she has inherited many of her mothers items since then and received a number of items of jewellery as official gifts that number is now much higher.

So we can safely assume she has about 400-500 personal jewelry? How many did she receive from Queen Mary?

No one really knows because, as we have seen on a number of occasions, the oldest jewels people think have been sold off or gone elsewhere sometimes pop up again. There's no definitive list of Queen Mary's jewels nor a list of what she gave to others. I would say given all the different earrings, pearl necklaces, plain (yet spectacular) diamond necklaces and brooches she owns plus all the things she inherited from her mother (even if she has leant them back out to others) a guesstimate near 500 would be fair.

No one really knows because, as we have seen on a number of occasions, the oldest jewels people think have been sold off or gone elsewhere sometimes pop up again. There's no definitive list of Queen Mary's jewels nor a list of what she gave to others. I would say given all the different earrings, pearl necklaces, plain (yet spectacular) diamond necklaces and brooches she owns plus all the things she inherited from her mother (even if she has leant them back out to others) a guesstimate near 500 would be fair.

Do you think she inherited 100-200 from Queen Mary?

Lately, the Queen has frequently worn a few modern tiaras such as her modern sapphire, ruby and aquamarine tiaras. Have these tiaras been made of stones previously owned by the Royal Family ? Or from stones gifted to the Queen over the course of her reign ? Maybe some of the posters here may answer those questions.

Last edited:
I've always been fascinated on how much jewels The Queen personally owns not the crown jewels but what she inherited from her family, jewels from her wedding, coronations, and royal tours. Does anyone know the total number of her personally jewels she has? How many tiaras does she personally own?

The answer to your question is no.

Sad, but true. All of us would like a tour of the personal vaults but it isn't going to happen.

Most of the Queen Mother's Mrs Ronnie Greville collection came down to the Queen and some pieces have been seen on Camilla I believe. The Greville jewellery was a spectacular addition to the Queen Mother's cache of gems especially as I'm sure that Queen Mary gave or left some of her private jewellery to her only daughter and her other daughters in law.

Of course, we don't know what Prince Philip has gifted his wife in personal jewellery over the years either. A necklace for an anniversary, brooch for a special birthday, it all adds up. I'd say about 400 pieces would be about right.

Lately, the Queen has frequently worn a few modern tiaras such as her modern sapphire, ruby and aquamarine tiaras. Have these tiaras been made of stones previously owned by the Royal Family ? Or from stones gifted to the Queen over the course of her reign ? Maybe some of the posters here may answer those questions.

the sapphire was a necklace of a belgian princess that the queen bought a and they made a tiara frame for it , the aquamarine the queen commissioned it from Garrard in 1957 and the ruby tiara is a redesign of a diamond tiara that was a wedding gift and some rubies she got als as a wedding gift from burma .

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Modern Sapphire Tiara

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Burmese Ruby Tiara

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Brazilian Aquamarine Parure

Most of the Queen Mother's Mrs Ronnie Greville collection came down to the Queen and some pieces have been seen on Camilla I believe. The Greville jewellery was a spectacular addition to the Queen Mother's cache of gems especially as I'm sure that Queen Mary gave or left some of her private jewellery to her only daughter and her other daughters in law.

Of course, we don't know what Prince Philip has gifted his wife in personal jewellery over the years either. A necklace for an anniversary, brooch for a special birthday, it all adds up. I'd say about 400 pieces would be about right.

How much do you think she got from Queen Mary?

the sapphire was a necklace of a belgian princess that the queen bought a and they made a tiara frame for it , the aquamarine the queen commissioned it from Garrard in 1957 and the ruby tiara is a redesign of a diamond tiara that was a wedding gift and some rubies she got als as a wedding gift from burma .

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Modern Sapphire Tiara

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Burmese Ruby Tiara

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Brazilian Aquamarine Parure

So the rubies were a gift from Burma and the aquamarines a gift from Brazil ! It is indeed convenient to be the Queen.

How much do you think she got from Queen Mary?

The Queen Mother? She would have been left all the official pieces connected with the position of being Queen Consort. Privately we just don't know, as apparently Queen Mary enjoyed purchasing precious gems anonymously at auction (and there was a lot of primarily Russian noble and Romanov jewellery flooding world markets in the 1920s) and then altering necklaces and tiaras in her personal possession to please her own taste. So who knows how many necklaces, tiaras etc came into the present Queen's collection in that way.

This mostly deals with Mary's official jewellery but it's still fun. Queen Mary just loved shiny gems!

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: The Splendor of Queen Mary

QM had to do something while GV was playing with his stamps.

Oh yes. Much more. That doesn't include what she gave to her other children.

The Queen has a great deal of jewels from her mother, grandmother and so forth. Not all of it has been seen in decades.

I just want to know how much she left to The Queen.

I don't think anybody will ever have the answer to that question. Things that are transferred between family members because of a death remain private. I do think though that the Royal Archives keeps a list of some of the things that were passed on but perhaps someone who knows more than me can fill in on those details.

There are two things I associate most with HM, The Queen and that is she loves to wear pearls and has a stunning wedding bracelet that was designed by Philip as a wedding present and was made out of diamonds from his mother, Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark. :D

I don't think anybody will ever have the answer to that question. Things that are transferred between family members because of a death remain private. I do think though that the Royal Archives keeps a list of some of the things that were passed on but perhaps someone who knows more than me can fill in on those details.

There are two things I associate most with HM, The Queen and that is she loves to wear pearls and has a stunning wedding bracelet that was designed by Philip as a wedding present and was made out of diamonds from his mother, Princess Alice of Greece and Denmark. :D

If you had to guess how much do you think she left to the Queen?

I don't have any kind of a clue. I would just go with "alot" :D

I don't have any kind of a clue. I would just go with "alot" :D
I agree, "a lot" is the best guess we can make here! We don't even know how many pieces of jewellery Queen Mary personally owned in the the first place. Let alone, what passed to the Queen and what was given to other family members.

I agree, "a lot" is the best guess we can make here! We don't even know how many pieces of jewellery Queen Mary personally owned in the the first place. Let alone, what passed to the Queen and what was given to other family members.

If Queen Mary is credited for revolutionizing the royal jewels then I would say she had over 500 pieces of jewelry.

Back
Top Bottom