Queen Elizabeth II Jewels 3: January 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Charlotte got a little horse shoe brooch and Meghan got some earrings from the Queen.

Princess Charlotte got a little horse shoe brooch and Meghan got some earrings from the Queen.

The earrings Meghan wore were gifted to her by the Queen when they did their first engagement together- Meghan shared that in an interview. Reportedly, Charlotte was also gifted her horseshoe brooch by the Queen (which makes me wonder if the Queen has gifted the other equestrian-themed jewelry seen on her youngest granddaughter and other great grandchildren)

Those are separate than inheritance stuff.

The earrings Meghan wore were gifted to her by the Queen when they did their first engagement together- Meghan shared that in an interview. Reportedly, Charlotte was also gifted her horseshoe brooch by the Queen (which makes me wonder if the Queen has gifted the other equestrian-themed jewelry seen on her youngest granddaughter and other great grandchildren)

Those are separate than inheritance stuff.
I’m sure little jewels were given to others, the important stuff will most likely be with Charles

If I had to guess, I would guess that HM’s rings remain on her finger. Even ordinary women are frequently buried with their wedding and engagement rings.

I read that the Queen was only buried with her wedding ring and a pair of pearl earrings- not her engagement ring.

I’m sure little jewels were given to others, the important stuff will most likely be with Charles

This is almost certainly the case. Monarch-to-Monarch inheritance is by custom free from inheritance taxes. Virtually ALL of Queen Elizabeth's personal possessions, including the fabulous private jewelry collection, have been left to The King. Token pieces (valued below the tax limit) may have been left to other members of the family but the bulk of it went to Charles. This is what happened when Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother died - everything went to her eldest daughter, who then "loaned" the pieces to Charles for his wife. I hope that The King will establish some kind of jewel foundation such as the Swedes and the Dutch have, where the family pieces are available to any of the women who need them for official duty. Far too much of the British collection has been languishing in the vaults for far too long.

We don't even know what's in the British collection. And while I'm sure it was done out of a wish not to appear ostentatious, literally buried treasure doesn't do anyone any good, either.

But that wish was from a time when internet didn't exists. Nowdays everyone could kwon what they already have with only check out some forums...
Could it be that there's more? I'm really sure the answer is yes.

But that wish was from a time when internet didn't exists. Nowdays everyone could kwon what they already have with only check out some forums...
Could it be that there's more? I'm really sure the answer is yes.

If "everyone knows what they have by checking some forums", how did two tiaras manage to appear in 2018 that no one even knew existed?

There is undoubtedly a substantial part of "more" we don't know.

If "everyone knows what they have by checking some forums", how did two tiaras manage to appear in 2018 that no one even knew existed?

Queen Mary’s tiara that Meghan wore existed but it’s just that no one other than Queen Mary and Princess Marina had worn it, no one knew the Greville tiara existed because no one had worn it publicly it. But of course, there’s more goodies to be seen.

This is almost certainly the case. Monarch-to-Monarch inheritance is by custom free from inheritance taxes. Virtually ALL of Queen Elizabeth's personal possessions, including the fabulous private jewelry collection, have been left to The King. Token pieces (valued below the tax limit) may have been left to other members of the family but the bulk of it went to Charles. This is what happened when Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother died - everything went to her eldest daughter, who then "loaned" the pieces to Charles for his wife. I hope that The King will establish some kind of jewel foundation such as the Swedes and the Dutch have, where the family pieces are available to any of the women who need them for official duty. Far too much of the British collection has been languishing in the vaults for far too long.
I don’t think the foundation will be needed for now because there aren’t many tiara events unlike previous years when the Queen was young and this generation of royals don’t seem to be overly fond of jewels. But I’m sure that there are jewels earmarked for the the Queen, for the Princess of Wales we are yet to see the tiaras she picks this time round, but I wonder for Sophie. There also aren’t many working royals unlike in previous years who will be wearing royals jewels.

You are right, we don't know what the Queen had unless it was jewellery that was either the Crown Jewels or significant pieces left to be worn by the monarch or the monarch's wife. However, when it comes to items handed down through the generations, we know little. The tiaras lent to Catherine, Meghan and Princess Eugenie for their weddings alone were wonderful surprises.

Catherine's choice of the Cartier Halo was an absolute Yay!!! moment as it had been rumoured to be fragile if not actually broken. Meghan's tiara, 'Queen Mary's Bandeau' hadn't been seen in public since 1935 and its fate was shrouded in mystery. Eugenie's 'Greville Emerald Kokoshnik' was absolutely wonderous as there had only ever been rumoured that there were actually two Greville tiaras, the Bucheron and another with no specifics. So the emergence of that little sparkler brought joy to our hearts.

All three tiaras were privately owned by QEII having inherited them as part of the Sovereign to Sovereign transfer from her mother and I for one would love to stroll through the vault and drool at all those things we have never heard of or just never seen.

Queen Mary’s tiara that Meghan wore existed but it’s just that no one other than Queen Mary and Princess Marina had worn it, no one knew the Greville tiara existed because no one had worn it publicly it. But of course, there’s more goodies to be seen.
Princess Marina? Are you sure you sure about that? I certainly never heard that she had worn the diamond bandeau which Meghan finally wore at her wedding. But jewel watchers certainly were aware of the existence of the tiara even though it hadn't been seen since Queen Mary's death. But there were also no signs that it had been sold or inherited by another descendant.

As for the Boucheron emerald tiara: It was known that Mrs. Greville had owned it, an archive photo of the tiara had even been published some years before the wedding in a book on Boucheron by Vincent Meylan. As it was public knowledge that QEQM had inherited Mrs. Greville's jewels it was at least very likely that the tiara was still in the family.

I hope that The King will establish some kind of jewel foundation such as the Swedes and the Dutch have, where the family pieces are available to any of the women who need them for official duty. Far too much of the British collection has been languishing in the vaults for far too long.
They DO HAVE such foundation. It's the Royal Collection!
All official gifts belongs to the Royal Collection. All necklaces, brooches, earrings, received during at least last 30 years, are belongs to this foundation.
The King can distributed these jewels as he wants.

Last edited:
They DO HAVE such foundation. It's the Royal Collection!
All official gifts belongs to the Royal Collection. All necklaces, brooches, earrings, received during at least last 30 years, are belongs to this foundation.
The King can distributed these jewels as he wants.
The private Collection has many favorite baubles (The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland, Queen Alexandra's Diamond Kokoshnik, The Grand Duchess Vladimir, Queen Mary's Lovers Knot . . . ) that can be lent or gifted at the will of the owner. The last book on HM's jewels, including her private collection, did not identify nor make any mention of an Emerald tiara other than the Emerald version of the Vladimir which is why there were questions. I think the answer lay in the fact that HM was not overly fond of lots of gold jewellery and so it was possibly not stored with her go-to jewels or historic pieces such as the Halo Scroll.

However, I think most historic pieces are gifted as a life-time loan, a reminder that history can be lost in a divorce as happened in Denmark which was both timely and sad.

Princess Marina? Are you sure you sure about that? I certainly never heard that she had worn the diamond bandeau which Meghan finally wore at her wedding. But jewel watchers certainly were aware of the existence of the tiara even though it hadn't been seen since Queen Mary's death. But there were also no signs that it had been sold or inherited by another descendant.

As for the Boucheron emerald tiara: It was known that Mrs. Greville had owned it, an archive photo of the tiara had even been published some years before the wedding in a book on Boucheron by Vincent Meylan. As it was public knowledge that QEQM had inherited Mrs. Greville's jewels it was at least very likely that the tiara was still in the family.
You can check on Instagram, @historyofroyaljewels who has a picture of Princess Marina wearing the tiara and probably Marina was loaned the tiara for the moment she wore it not outright ownership. Yes, Mrs. Greville owned the emerald kokoshnik, but no one in the BRF wore it publicly until Eugenie got married. Plus Mrs. Greville didn’t give all her jewels to QEQM, she also gave gifts of jewels to staff and other friends.

You can check on Instagram, @historyofroyaljewels who has a picture of Princess Marina wearing the tiara and probably Marina was loaned the tiara for the moment she wore it not outright ownership. Yes, Mrs. Greville owned the emerald kokoshnik, but no one in the BRF wore it publicly until Eugenie got married. Plus Mrs. Greville didn’t give all her jewels to QEQM, she also gave gifts of jewels to staff and other friends.
After some searching, I came up with this: https://royal-magazin.de/art-deco-d...ift-from-the-duke-of-kent-to-princess-marina/ .
It seems that the bandeau was a wedding gift to Princess Marina by her husband and not a loan from Queen Mary.

It's not the same tiara.The bandeau Meghan wore was a wedding gift to Queen Mary from the County of Lincoln. They are rather similar though.

The bandeau worn by Meghan was not a gift from Lincoln, the brooch at the centre of the bandeau was a gift from the people of Lincoln.

I said ALREADY, which means you could easily do a list of all the jelws used by Elizabeth, Camilla, Kate, and so on. through all this years with only a click.
And checking out photos of QMary (one of them with the diamond bandeu used by Mhegan), If the jewls weren't with the Kents or Gloucasters or sold. Knownig that all things inherited by the queen/king are taxes free. Where are gonna be if not BP vaults? The probability is very, very, high.
Also, it was said on forums that there were documents mentioning an emerald tiara on the Graville bequest. Even a photo of the tiara.

Internet has changed a lot of things...everyone can look for information everywhere. That hasn't been possible in the past. So, the ''don't show to don't look ostentatious'', doesn't work nowdays as before. Especially with all the people researching about them...
And just look at Sofia of Spain or Beatrix of the Netherlands, they have the same old thouth.

After some searching, I came up with this: https://royal-magazin.de/art-deco-d...ift-from-the-duke-of-kent-to-princess-marina/ .
It seems that the bandeau was a wedding gift to Princess Marina by her husband and not a loan from Queen Mary.

The article declared:
Art Deco Diamond Bandeau Tiara
Similar to the Duchess of Sussex wedding tiara, but not the same!!

In http://www.theknot.com/content/meghan-markle-wedding-tiara
Who else has worn Queen Mary's Bandeau Tiara?
The diamond tiara has also been worn by her daughter-in-law Princess Marina of Kent, who wore it to a ball in 1935.

The bandeau worn by Meghan was not a gift from Lincoln, the brooch at the centre of the bandeau was a gift from the people of Lincoln.

True, but it's still Mary's and not Marina's.

I agree the RF should set up a Foundation for the jewels, but mainly because I can see a time when the sovereign's exemption from inheritance tax may come under question. Better to ensure future ownership is clear and as free of potential tax burden as possible IMO.

I agree the RF should set up a Foundation for the jewels, but mainly because I can see a time when the sovereign's exemption from inheritance tax may come under question. Better to ensure future ownership is clear and as free of potential tax burden as possible IMO.

That's a good point! I read that there is a push in some quarters to revoke the Sovereign-to-Sovereign exemption BEGINNING NOW and make The King pay inheritance tax on everything at the going rate. Of course, it's coming from people who think that Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace, the Royal Collection and the Crown Jewels, etc. are privately owned, so...

I agree and there may not be gifts of important jewels or silver in the future and the grand pieces need to be protected for the Monarchy now.

I do not think the issue of Inheritance Tax for a sovereign to sovereign transfer is a serious one as far as the public and / or politicians are concerned at the moment. If it were to become one at some stage in the future, trust structures may be put in place that place the ownership of some of the jewels and other artefacts for the benefit of the monarch and / or heir. For all we know, these structures may already be in place, and the information not released into the public domain.

One can’t help but wonder, is the royal jewel vault just stacked with jewels in the boxes they came in, or is it like an amazing jewelry store with glass cases.

Back
Top Bottom