The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-09-2018, 03:10 AM
Commoner

It's always difficult to know the accuracy of articles in the press, but the article in the link below reports that Meghan initially wanted to wear an emerald tiara in the Queen's collection but wasn't allowed to due to it's unknown provenance, possibly originally from Russia. Another tiara to add to the list of those in the Queen's collection!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...ult-behaviour/

Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 AM
Majesty

The most important aspect of this story (as this is a jewellery thread) is that there is ANOTHER unseen emerald tiara in HM's collection!

I so want to visit that vault

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-09-2018, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

A large part of the discussion has been moved to this thread Meghan Markle's Wedding Tiara
because it was not on the topic of Queen Elizabeth II jewels.

That said, I find the story in the Sun so weird, that I don't think that we can take it as a serious source for the Queen really owning this ominous emerald tiara of Russian origin.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The most important aspect of this story (as this is a jewellery thread) is that there is ANOTHER unseen emerald tiara in HM's collection!

I so want to visit that vault
Or at the very least, the potential of another unseen tiara. Maybe we could go visit the vault together. i am more and more convinced that the vault is way, way deeper than we think and I am not talking about its location underground.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:45 AM
Courtier

I wonder if everything is stored in boxes, and inventoried, or is it set up like a huge jewelry store with display cases. Either way, it is huge. I’m thinking large bank vault. I’ve been in some pretty awesome private silver vaults in homes, but I’m sure they are nothing compared to this.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love the thought of the Queen having another tiara we don't know about and haven't seen. I wonder how many more tiaras there are with "unknown provenance" that they don't feel they can wear publicly.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:03 AM
Aristocracy

Maybe it is this one

Saturday Sparkler: Alexandra Feodorovna's Emerald Tiara | The Court Jeweller

Although I highly doubt it...as I doubt the whole story.
The Queen wouldn't offer a tiara is she knows that she doesn't want to borrow it and I doubt that Prince Harry or Meghan has a thorough knowledge about the Queen's tiaras so they could have requested a certain emerald tiara-saying "come on Granny, we know that you have that emerald tiara, so HAND IT OVER because what Meghan WANTS, Megan GETS" - it is ridiculous...
Old 11-11-2018, 07:13 AM
Aristocracy

Or this one

https://royal-magazin.de/russia/gros...exandrowna.htm

I dare the journalists to find out exactly which emerald tiara are they talking about!!
Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Heir Apparent

In the version of the DM article I read this AM. about the Cenotaph Ceremony, the author said HM was wearing a diamond poppy brooch to anchor her red poppies. It will be interesting to see if they correct it.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

I too wonder what the vault looks like. Is everything just tagged and boxed or a big room of sparkle. I would assume there is a catalog of some sort for choices. I mean I don't know, just guessing!!! LOL
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
In the version of the DM article I read this AM. about the Cenotaph Ceremony, the author said HM was wearing a diamond poppy brooch to anchor her red poppies. It will be interesting to see if they correct it.
They have changed it. I read the same thing and then later went back to check something in the same story and the brooch was referred to as a diamond brooch. With all the royal jewels sites available, I would think they would check first. Maybe it is more important to be first then to be accurate.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
They have changed it. I read the same thing and then later went back to check something in the same story and the brooch was referred to as a diamond brooch. With all the royal jewels sites available, I would think they would check first. Maybe it is more important to be first then to be accurate.
I know, but what a stupid mistake. This was maybe the 3rd brooch I learned to recognize. I still get some of them wrong. But this one is blindingly distinctive (I mean that in a good way).
Old 11-12-2018, 05:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
I too wonder what the vault looks like. Is everything just tagged and boxed or a big room of sparkle. I would assume there is a catalog of some sort for choices. I mean I don't know, just guessing!!! LOL
Logically thonking, I assume that all jewellery is boxed and tagged. I remember reading that records are kept of every ensemble HM wears and what jewellery she wore with it.

As we all know HM wears an almost endless stream of brooches from the biggest selection in the world. It is only on rare occasions that she repeats a brooch unless it had a special significance to the occasion.

On rare occasions HM has been known to speak via her choice of jewels for a specific event. A particular State Banquet leaps to mind when she wore the most sparkling array of jewels complete with a brooch the size of a saucer! It made it's point about diplomacy and how things are done.

Today I was on line and saw a comment piece about the Queen saying her piece without uttering a word, and I suddenly thought "oh yes, I noticed that wondered". The article posited the theory that HM showed her disdain for hurtful gossip about a tiara squabble that never happened.

She wore the same brooch to anchor her five poppies at the Festival of Remembrance as she did to Harry and Megan's wedding.

I can just see her in my minds eye saying "Really! In exactly the same tone she used in the Invictus challenge yo the Obama's.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Today I was on line and saw a comment piece about the Queen saying her piece without uttering a word, and I suddenly thought "oh yes, I noticed that wondered". The article posited the theory that HM showed her disdain for hurtful gossip about a tiara squabble that never happened.

She wore the same brooch to anchor her five poppies at the Festival of Remembrance as she did to Harry and Megan's wedding.

I can just see her in my minds eye saying "Really! In exactly the same tone she used in the Invictus challenge yo the Obama's.
We are all entitled to believe what we want. If HM really wanted to respond to the emerald tiara gossip, perhaps Meghan can wear the said tiara to the Diplomatic Reception in a few weeks. That will ruffle a few feathers!
Old 11-12-2018, 11:23 PM
Majesty

Well if Meghan attends she cannot wear Queen Mary's Filigree Diamond Bandeau as it is on display, so . . . I like your idea, a lot!
Old 11-21-2018, 03:40 AM
Royal Highness

The Queen attended the 100 year anniversary of the Surveyors Institute and wore a diamond and ruby brooch. No close up of this brooch tho and it does look a lot like one she has with a curve of rubies. However, this one looks slightly different with extra diamonds at the bottom.
I wondered if this is a new brooch if it might be an anniversary gift from Prince Philip.
But then because we can't see it properly maybe it is just one of her earlier brooches worn on a pink coat.
Old 11-21-2018, 04:13 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
The Queen attended the 100 year anniversary of the Surveyors Institute and wore a diamond and ruby brooch. No close up of this brooch tho and it does look a lot like one she has with a curve of rubies. However, this one looks slightly different with extra diamonds at the bottom.
I wondered if this is a new brooch if it might be an anniversary gift from Prince Philip.
But then because we can't see it properly maybe it is just one of her earlier brooches worn on a pink coat.
old brooch
From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors 150th Anniversary
Old 11-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarlita View Post
I quite like it worn this new way.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:07 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you Spheno. It must have been because it was worn upside down that threw me off.
Gosh what an eagle eyed bunch we are. It is a lovely brooch and I would love to train photographers to get a good closeup of these lovely jewels while they are snapping away.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Majesty

That is one beautiful brooch and sad to say we are all jewellery Nerds & Geeks knowing soo much about the real deal bling. Come to think of it, just add "Royal" in front of any subject and we fit.

I have learnt something new today (as indeed everyone should), HM has started wearing her brooches upside down. Hmm, I wonder how many of the very few we have been unable to identify were merely whimsically pinned. Let's face it, when you are The Queen and you have been around as long as she has, it's time to switch things up now and then just to fool the fans.