Queen Elizabeth II Jewellery 1: April 2004-August 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
Welcome to the second thread on the lovely tiaras and jewels of Queen Elizabeth II.

Please post pictures and information of the jewels worn and possessed by the Queen of Great Britain here.

For the previous thread, follow the link:

Queen Elizabeth, Jewellery, Part I

Attachments

• EN_elizabeth_225.jpg
    EN_elizabeth_225.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,081
Hey guys and gals, let's try to just post links to the pictures instead of the actual pictures from now on. It'll save a ton of bandwidth that way.

The Queen's coronation dress was embroydered with real gold and silver thread, real pearls, and it was encrusted with real jewels to form the Commonwealth symbols, so I guess it could be considered a jewel.

That is Queen Alexandra's Dagmar necklace. It is a historical piece. Queen Elizabeth has removed two large pear shaped pearls from it (they should be inside the two loupes) and a large cross from the middle.

Leslie Field writes:
"In 1863 Princess Alexandra of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glückburg's father was the elected heir to the childless King Frederick VII of Denmark. For her marriage to the Prince of Wales that same year, the King had the crown jeweller in Copenhagen, Jules Didrichsen, design a necklace in the Byzantine style. It had 118 pearls and 2000 diamonds. Festoons connecting gold medallions, with a large diamond in the middle of each, surroud a centerpiece of diamond set scrollwork. The two large pear-shaped pearls on either side were so valueable they had been exhibited at the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in 1851. --

--Hangin on a gold loop from the cenrrepiece is a cloisonné enamel facsimile of the eleventh-century gold Dagmar Cross, in which was set a fragment reputed to belong to the True Cross and a piece of silk taken from the grave of King Canute. Queen Dagmar had been the benevolent and much loved wife of King Waldemar the Victorious. When she died in 1212, she was buried with this pectoral cross upon her breast, and when her tomb was opened centuries later the cross was removed as a precious relic and put on display in the Museum of Northern Antiquities in Copenhagen. It became a tradition that Danish princesses were given a copy of the cross when they married..."

... couldn't find a picture of the necklace but found Queen Alexandra as we all remember her... There is some HEAVY jewellry :rolleyes:

http://castlekeys.com/Pages/pics/historical/queenalexandra.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the time they wear that tipe of dress. Maybe is for a ball but that is the fashion in time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please just post the links to the photos. We will have to start deleting photos to save on bandwidth so the site doesn't have to do a temporary shutdown. Thank you.

Originally posted by micas@Feb 5th, 2004 - 6:24 am
In the time they wear that tipe of dress. Maybe is for a ball but that is the fashion in time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micas,
the huge elizabethan style collar on this dress is not the style of dress for Queen Alexandra's period although on her coronation dress she does have a small elizabethan style collar. But this is not wholly a Victorian style dress due to that collar...also the 'puff and slash' sleeves.

I had to go look this up because I remembered seeing a picture of it in Leslie Fields book.
The picture of HM is from the Duchess of Devonshires costume ball celebrating Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

There was some debate on weither or not this became part of her other aquamarine tiara over at the Royal Jewels of the World Website/mb.
I don't think anyone came up with a definitive answer.

I love this parude of jewels and the tiara is amaizing.
Great pics :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The earings in the first picture are not interchangeable with other stones. You are thinking about other earings. Yet it is beautiful sapphire suite!!!

Originally posted by micas@Feb 17th, 2004 - 6:54 am
Some1 now what tiara is this???????????????

http://worldroots.com/brigitte/gifs/queenelizabeth57.jpg

Sorry the pic are in bad condition :blush: :blush: :blush:
The Queen wears the Hyderabad diamond tiara. She received this tiara from the Nizam of Hyderabad (the richest of India's many Princes) for her wedding in 1947.

The tiara was later broken up - some of the flower motifs are now worn as brooches - the rest of the tiara was apparently usesd to make the Burmese ruby tiara (together with the rubies from Burma).

I must say, the Burmese Ruby tiara is not one of my favorites of Her Majesty. I think it's rather ugly. I'd rather her go back to the other tiara, but alas, that's not going to happen

No, I dislike the Burmese one. It has the ruby roses in it. I posted the link a few posts up.

Originally posted by micas@Feb 15th, 2004 - 11:54 am
A new neckless?????????????????? :blush:  :woot:  :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

http://www.polfoto.dk/Polfoto/Photo/Live/w...0xkh3_guest.jpg]http://www.polfoto.dk/Polfoto/Photo/Live/w...0xkh3_guest.jpg

And other

http://pro.corbis.com/images/UT0112914.jpg...7-e195537322b1}]http://pro.corbis.com/images/UT0112914.jpg...7-e195537322b1
the first necklace the queen received while still a princess from the Republic of South Africa. She calls it "My Best Diamonds"

Attachments

• BestDiamonds.jpg
    BestDiamonds.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 544
I believe I've also heard the Nizam tiara referred to as the "English ivy" one???? Such a shame it was broken up. I really loved the ivy design myself, and I think it's my favorite of all HM's tiaras, except for the Russian Kokoshnik one. :eek:

Originally posted by Jackswife@Feb 20th, 2004 - 8:46 am
I believe I've also heard the Nizam tiara referred to as the "English ivy" one???? Such a shame it was broken up. I really loved the ivy design myself, and I think it's my favorite of all HM's tiaras, except for the Russian Kokoshnik one. :eek:
According to the Leslie Field Book(pg. 82) it was It was a wedding gift from the Nizam of Hyderbadand was made by Cartier in a wreath design of English roses and foilage, a style typical of the early nineteenth century. The two centre roses and the smaller side ones could be detached and worn as broaches, too. The whole thing was broken up and the diamonds were used to make the Burmese ruby tiara in 1973 (which I'm not very fond of).

Originally posted by micas@Apr 20th, 2004 - 10:41 pm
I belive this is a new neckless, i read that QIIE like jewels a lot and bigger jewels
( she don't wear them now because they are to havy), but i never see this neckless.

Sorry to disapoint you Micas but this is not a new necklace. The Queen calls this piece and its matching bracelet her "best diamonds". The stones were a gift to her when she visited South Africa with her parents and Princess Margaret before her wedding to Prince Phillip.

Has anyone got pictures from day 4 at Royal Ascot? HM wore a yellowish outfit and the brooch appeared to be Queen Alexandra's triple pearl brooch which was formerly worn by the Queen Mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom