Queen Elizabeth II Jewellery 1: April 2004-August 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
florawindsor said:
is the brooch Queen Elizabeth wear on this picture(http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen/queens-treasure.htm) the Cullinan III+IV?
and on the same page, the brooch on Queen Mary's sashes, are they III+IV or I+II?
i also heard that Queen Mary put Cullinan diamonds to the Cambridge Emerald, i wonder which of the Cullinans are added to the Emeralds...

Indeed, both Queen Mary (on her sash) and Queen Elizabeth are wearing the Cullinans III & IV, usually called "Granny's Chips."

I have posted pics of the Cullinan V Heart Brooch and Cullinan VII and VIII Brooch above: More, and better

The Cambridge Emeralds are often confused with the "Ladies of India" diamond and emerald necklace (part of the "Delhi Durbar Parure"); it is the latter necklace from which Queen Mary hung the 11.5 carat marquise-cut Cullinan VI.
(pic below)

Attachments

• Ladies of India Necklace & Cullinan VIa.jpg
    Ladies of India Necklace & Cullinan VIa.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,310
thank you so much,A.C.C.! i finally got all the Diamonds in place^^

there were something hanging from the necklace of Queen Mary, which looks like diamonds too, and the text besides it said that these are the Cullinan III/IV but those on the sash looks similar to those Queen Elizabeth wear in the picture below. i got confused:confused:

can someone post some picture of Queen Mary wearing Cullinan I/II, plz? (Must be really heavy for her to have so much diamonds on her,hoho)

Last edited:
Hi Florawindsor.

About the Cullinans, the diamonds on Queen Marys sash in the picture is II and II, the diamonds hanging from the necklace is III and IV. Cullinan I and II hasn't been worn as a brooch for a very long time. Hope this helps.

can someone post some picture of Queen Mary wearing Cullinan I/II, plz? (Must be really heavy for her to have so much diamonds on her,hoho)[/QUOTE]

The picture in your link actually shows Queen Mary wearing all four Cullinans. She is wearing I and II as a brooch, and III and IV as a pendant on her necklace.

The presnet Queen has never worn I and II as they are now set in the state regalia.

thx Louise&Torkel!

these two sets look really similar. both are square+pear shape. can be confusing sometimes...

Warren said:
The Cambridge Emeralds are often confused with the "Ladies of India" diamond and emerald necklace (part of the "Delhi Durbar Parure"); it is the latter necklace from which Queen Mary hung the 11.5 carat marquise-cut Cullinan VI.
(pic below)
yes i am confused again, on mandysroyalty.org/Queenjewels.html and www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen/queens-trove.htm they have the same pictures(at least they look the same to me), but on Mandys, the necklace was called 'Delhi Durbar Parure' and said to be maid from the Cambridge Emeralds, while on royal-magazin the necklace was called the 'Ladies of India' necklace and was given to the Queen by Indian ladies. one of them must be wrong:(

The cabochon emerald parure is made up of emeralds which the Duchess of Cambridge won in a state lottery (apparently the lottery was fixed to ensure she won them, since they were her wedding present or something) and emeralds from India, which Queen Mary was given after she became Queen. I'm not sure which emeralds are which, though. The whole set is known as the Cambridge and Delhi Durbar parure. She wore the jewels to the Durbar in Delhi in 1911.

so after all the cambridge emerald(or say, necklace with cambridge emeralds)/Delhi Durbar parure are the same:rolleyes:

the emeralds are beautiful, i love them. Queen Elizabeth wear them a lot, so i guess she love them too:D

can you guys visit the royal-jewels.tripod.com? i can reach www.tripod.com but not the royal-jewels.tripod.com. i don't know if it's something wrong with the site or my internet connection

Last edited:
Confusing emeralds

Elspeth said:
The cabochon emerald parure is made up of emeralds which the Duchess of Cambridge won in a state lottery (apparently the lottery was fixed to ensure she won them, since they were her wedding present or something) and emeralds from India, which Queen Mary was given after she became Queen. I'm not sure which emeralds are which, though. The whole set is known as the Cambridge and Delhi Durbar parure. She wore the jewels to the Durbar in Delhi in 1911..
Yes, I had problems working this out too. I have two books "The Royal Jewels" by Suzy Menkes, and "The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II Her Personal Collection" by Leslie Field. I used Field as the "reliable" source because there was much more information.

Menkes states the necklace is "the Cambridge Emeralds", while Field goes into great detail, and identifies them as "the Ladies of India Necklace". The difficulty is that the Cambridge emeralds have been mixed into "the Cambridge and Delhi Durbar Parure" which contains Indian and the Cambridge emeralds. There are a lot of emeralds in the Cambridge set and they have been used in various pieces of jewellery. The emeralds in the Grand Duchess Vladimir diamond circle tiara (interchangeable with pearls) are Cambridge.

Anyway here is a pic of Queen Mary wearing Cambridge and Indian emeralds. I doubt if anyone these days could identify which is which. The thumbnail may appear small, but comes up nicely with a click of the mouse!

Attachments

• QM jewels.jpg
    QM jewels.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 498
The Cambridge Emeralds

Here is Princess Mary Adelaide, Duchess of Teck (affectionately known as "Fat Mary") wearing THE Cambridge Emeralds. Hard to see but there is a large emerald hanging from the base of the stomacher, between her hands.

Attachments

• Princess Mary Adelaide.JPG
    Princess Mary Adelaide.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 949
have we seen this? the colour of the picture is dark, so i guess it might be emeralds?

Attachments

• 4.gif
    4.gif
    132.2 KB · Views: 495
HMQueenElizabethII said:
Her Majesty's Jewels at the State Dinner yesterday in Canada 24th May:

She is truly one of few people who know how to wear a fur coat.

heihei. now they seem like turqoise to me too. forgive me, i know very little about jewels.

Pity her Majesty did not wear the modern sapphire tiara with her in Canada in May...that would have completed the set.

I think she has never worn it in later years, as well as many other tiaras. Now she always wears the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland, the Grand Duchess Vladimir and the Kokoshnik.

I know....you really don't see her in too many other tiaras...or complete parures for that matter.

But wow....she looked every inch THE ROYAL in that picture in Canada this past May....there is something about her that sets her apart from all the other queens in that respect.

Who have her the pearls she always wears? A gift from her parents?

I think the two strands of pearls she wore for her wedding were a present from her parents, although I'd need to look that up to be sure and I can't find the book for the moment. I'm not sure about the three strands she wears most of the time now. Reynard could probably tell you if it's the two strands plus one other strand or a different necklace altogether.

I know they are very sentimental to her....the pearls and many of the brooches she wears as well.

The one thing about her Majesty, is, she never overdoes her jewels like some of the other royals.

There are some pictures of Queen Juliana on some of the royal jewel websites and she looks like she is drowning in the heavy and ornate jewels she has on...

More is better!

His Lordship said:
There are some pictures of Queen Juliana on some of the royal jewel websites and she looks like she is drowning in the heavy and ornate jewels she has on...
Throw those jewels on, I say. Dazzle us!
Queen Mary should be the role model for jewel-wearing. :)

His Lordship said:
I know....you really don't see her in too many other tiaras...or complete parures for that matter.

But wow....she looked every inch THE ROYAL in that picture in Canada this past May....there is something about her that sets her apart from all the other queens in that respect.

Who have her the pearls she always wears? A gift from her parents?

Elspeth said:
I think the two strands of pearls she wore for her wedding were a present from her parents, although I'd need to look that up to be sure and I can't find the book for the moment. I'm not sure about the three strands she wears most of the time now. Reynard could probably tell you if it's the two strands plus one other strand or a different necklace altogether.

She owns a number (three, I think) of similar three-strand pearls necklaces.

One of them was a gift from her grandfather in occasion of his Silver Jubilee, so the necklace is exactly 70 years old. I think this is the one she usually wears.

You're welcome. :)
I'm trying to find out if she has got other triple pearl strings, because I'm not very sure.

Jardine Star Brooch

wymanda said:
The Jardine Star brooch for Ladies Day at Royal Ascot-York
Jardine -> Hong Kong -> shipping. Did HM get this one for launching a ship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom