Queen Elizabeth II - Earrings: June 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elly C

Heir Apparent
City
Kingsbridge
Country
United Kingdom
I have been admiring Her Majesty's sapphire earrings she wore at the Order of the Garter Ceremony today, & thought I would post a link/question to discover more about them, only to find there isn't a thread about Her Majesty earrings:ohmy: ( Moderators may know better but I can't find one!) So perhaps we could gather together some of her wonderful collection here.
This is the pair I thought looked charming with her robes today.

Sapphires (courtesy of Zimbio)

These look to be the modern sapphire earrings which match the lovely looped necklace. I think someone here posted that they were created when the necklace was shortened a few years ago.

Thank you for this.:flowers: I have just found the post I think you refer to posted by Warren with a lovely picture of the earrings- a gift from Sheikh Rashid when Her Majesty visited Dubai
Sapphires ( scroll down to post76)

What an interesting thread. :)
Those Sapphires are beautiful.
Her majesty does have alot of earings so i'm sure there will be alot of discussion. :flowers:

Its so nice to see her in some different earrings!!! She has some great ones!!

THe earrings that The Queen has worn at this years Garter Ceremony are the Dubai sapphires.
I have noticed that each year, she wears different earrings.

To date, I have found 55 earrings that The Queen wears.
They are all of the gems, diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, amethysts, aquamarines, tourquoise and pearls. A most lovely array.

To date, I have found 55 earrings that The Queen wears.
They are all of the gems, diamonds, rubies, sapphires, emeralds, amethysts, aquamarines, tourquoise and pearls. A most lovely array.

..... though 95% of the time, HM is wearing the same pear of pearl earrings, with the diamond on top.

..... though 95% of the time, HM is wearing the same pear of pearl earrings, with the diamond on top.

I have noticed that she wears these earring most of the time and I think they are lovely. Has anyone noticed when she first started to wear these?
Also any guess as to the size of these pearls?
I love them and they go with everything but they seem to be strictly for daytime wear.

It's true the Queen seems to wear her pearl earrings pretty much every day. I gather these are the Queen Mary's button earrings. According to Leslie Field in "The Queen's Jewels" p.124, the Queen wore them as early as 1968. They were part of a wedding gift from "The Ladies of England" to Queen Mary when she was Princess Mary of Teck. A pearl & diamond necklace was the main gift, but enough money was raised to buy the matching earrings & this further gift was from the "Ladies of Devonshire" which is why they are also known as the Devon earrings.

Queen Mary wearing the button earrings
(Vintage postcards)

Queen Elizabeth's favourite earrings (24/02/09) at the unveiling of statue to The Queen Mother
(Zimbio)

Thanks Elly C, they looked beautiful on Queen Mary as they do on the Queen.
Lovely earrings, I would be inclined to wear them every day too. :flowers:

Granted The Queen wears for daytime wear, the Devon button earrings [ diamond plus pearl] but what about evening, when she shines in diamonds or sapphires.

I am not sure the earrings in the two pictures are the same pair of earrings. I think the ones that Queen Mary is wearing are hanging ones, and not studs like HMs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure the earrings in the two pictures are the same pair of earrings. I think the ones that Queen Mary is wearing are hanging ones, and not studs like HMs.
It may be the Royal lobes:lol: but seriously, might they have been altered? If you have a look at these two images I think they are the same diamond/pearl stones. Certainly the photographs in the Leslie Field book suggests a similar affect to the way you describe when worn by Queen Mary.
Queen Mary pictures from celebrities photos on webshots
Queen Mary pictures from celebrities photos on webshots

Queen Mary had 2 pair of similar earrings. The Devon earrings which are worn by QEII for daytime engagements
Both these earrings are a diamond and then a pearl. The only difference with the 2nd set of earrings, is that the pearl is l a r g e r.

You are certainly right, they seem different, they may have been changed to suit the royal ears better but then they could be two different pairs.
Whatever, I love them both. :flowers:

Queen Mary had 2 pair of similar earrings. The Devon earrings which are worn by QEII for daytime engagements
Both these earrings are a diamond and then a pearl. The only difference with the 2nd set of earrings, is that the pearl is l a r g e r.
That's really interesting joye - I have never read or heard that before. :flowers: Given the number of times the Queen has worn this diamond/pearl pair over the years I have often wondered if there were more than one in existence.

I think the earring pictured below may be the King George Chandelier Earrings but they appear to have a shorter drop than I have seen pictured elsewhere - can someone identify them correctly?

Corbis

The earrings in the photo are the antique girandole earrings [ triple pendant design favoured by Q. Vic] not to be confused with Geo. VI chandalier earrings, which were inherited by Q. Mum from Mrs. Greville. ref Field Page 124 2nd para 5th line.

The 2nd pair of diamond/pearl earrings of Q. Marys are mentioned Field Page 57.

The earrings in the photo are the antique girandole earrings [ triple pendant design favoured by Q. Vic] not to be confused with Geo. VI chandalier earrings, which were inherited by Q. Mum from Mrs. Greville.
Thank you again joye.:wave: Hopefully I've identified the following diamond earrings correctly.

Queen Mary's Floret earrings (corbis)

Yes they are the floret earrings.
Shame they are not worn more often. Which year for the Garter photo please?
The Queen did wear these quite often in the early years of her reign.

Thanks for the year 2006.
Do you have other years of the Garter Ceremony, with clear picture of the earrings worn please?

HM floret earrings are fantastic! Thanks for the link elly c, I think I never grow tired of looking at her collection!! Haven't seen her wear the emerald cabachon bracelet in a while! oops sorry on the earring forum!!he

Here are a couple more: .
I find it difficult to see the difference between Q. Vic's collet earrings and QEII's pear drop earrings.
Perhaps if the were posted side by side. one could make a judgement.

If you scroll down from this link you will see the pear drop earrings ( plus several other wonderful pairs)

Mandy's British Royalty

And here on the same website is a link to the Collet set

Mandysroyalty

I think it's still a difficult call.

I love the earrings and necklaces!! i don't know which i like the most! they are beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom