Queen Elizabeth II - Earrings: June 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very Nice Earing , So Unique Piece , Like it :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree - not Q Victoria's stud earrings but aren't they just lovely!

I can only imagine the weight of HM's earrings! They're absolutely beautiful; I wonder if they have the wire supports. Mary's are also beautiful, but look lightweight in comparison.

I was just thinking the same thing. If I wore earrings that heavy on a daily basis for decades my lobes would be down to my shoulders.

I like HM in formal diamond earrings that dangle a bit!

They're wonderful, the pearls have the perfect shape & size, IMO! :wub:

:previous:
Those are the ruby earrings the Queen Mother used to wear, aren't they?
It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, and unfortunately we are unlikely to get better ones.

Last edited:
Good eye, Artemisia :flowers:
I think it's same earnings :flowers:

I think you are right, they do seem to belong to the parure that Queen Vicioria had made, originaly set with opals.
As you may be aware, Queen Alexandra had the opals replaced with rubies (she considered them unlucky).

I think you are right, they do seem to belong to the parure that Queen Vicioria had made, originaly set with opals.

As you may be aware, Queen Alexandra had the opals replaced with rubies (she considered them unlucky).

Indeed, the earrings do appear to be part of the Indian Ruby Parure (also known as the Oriental parure). I often wondered how the original tiara looked with opals.
Incidentally, I much prefer the Oriental Circlet to the Burmese Ruby Tiara (even though I don't dislike it too much either).

The rubies in these earrings are big and beautiful. I much prefer the darker red rubies to the cheaper pink ones.

Quick question for the experts - would these rubies, and the ones in the accompanying necklace, be the biggest rubies being worn in today's royal families? Are there any bigger ones still being worn? I know the Iranians have some enormous rubies but they're not worn anymore for obvious reasons.

The Danish, Dutch, Spanish and Greek Royals all have some magnificent rubies; however, I do believe that the rubies in the Indian Ruby Parure are indeed the largest (at least, amongst European Royals). And don't forget Camilla's Rubies; the sheer quantity of stones in those makes up for their (relatively) small size.

Last edited:
Thanks, Artemisia. The Danish rubies I'm not so fussed on because they're not single rubies, they're a bit of an illusion to make it look like they are. They're actually very small and very pink when you see them in proper light. The Spanish ones are amazing though.

My word, the options Camilla has with that necklace; she could do just about anything with them. At least I hope she will; there are so many beautiful rubies there that deserve a better home than that necklace as it is.

Those ruby earrings are gorgeous!

OK, I'm pretty sure I have died and gone to earring heaven.......I love these so much I could rip them right out of HM ears......(just kidding) right?

OK, I'm pretty sure I have died and gone to earring heaven.......I love these so much I could rip them right out of HM ears......(just kidding) right?
I love them too, good for Q Alex for replacing the opals, I think they're unlucky too!

The Queen's ruby earrings got an outing at the Garter service today

Photo from Getty Images

Those are the ruby earrings the Queen Mother used to wear, aren't they?
It's a bit hard to tell from the picture, and unfortunately we are unlikely to get better ones.

I think they're different pairs. If you look at both sets of earrings you'll see that the ones HM is wearing has a single border of diamonds around the ruby, while the QM's has a thicker diamond setting encircling the ruby. And the rubies in the QM's earrings look a bit smaller than the ones HM has.

Last edited:

Given your user ID, I'm not surprised at your reaction!:lol: I can't blame you; the whopping size of those rubies and those diamonds are enough to knock anyone off their feet.

Last edited:
I think they're different pairs. If you look at both sets of earrings you'll see that the ones HM is wearing has a single border of diamonds around the ruby, while the QM's has a thicker diamond setting encircling the ruby. And the rubies in the QM's earrings look a bit smaller than the ones HM has.
They look the same to me, although it's really hard to tell. The picture of the Queen Mother is, unfortunately, of very poor quality, so I've zoomed it as much as possible; the diamond around the ruby also appear to be a single row.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 561
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    12.2 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
IDK (head scratch), maybe it's the angle or the quality of the first photo, but I think HM's ruby is larger and the QM's setting is more of a cluster of diamonds rather than a single row. This is a poser!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom