Queen Elizabeth II - Earrings: June 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it difficult to see the difference between Q. Vic's collet earrings and QEII's pear drop earrings.
Perhaps if the were posted side by side. one could make a judgement.

Elly C,
With the help of your wonderful posts, I can now say that the earrings are the pear drop ones. I have compared both photos, and can say definately that they are QEII's pear drop earrings, because the middle stone is square shaped.

These are not the pear shape earrings bur rather Queen Victoria's diamond collet earrings. The pear shape earrings are much smaller than the ones worn by the Queen in the picture. Princess Diana wore the pear shape earrings in the 1980's.

Could you please explain, why you are so sure these are the collet earrings? Perhaps a reference or explanation of the seen difference by you, as to which earrings are which?
Thankyou in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting thread is posted on RJWMB, re earrings worn at the Garter Ceremonies. 2000 to 2009, plus a few years in the 19990's.
Might help with discussions here, and also be interesting.

A wonderful pair of sapphire earrings
Corbis

Yes, indeed, a very nice pair of earrings worn during the Golden Jubilee for a Dinner with the Prime Ministers at Downing Street. I believe she wore the same earrings and matching necklace during the State Banquet for His Majesty The King of Saudi Arabia together with the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara.

I particularly like the Kent suite earrings, and the Q. Victoria fringe earrings.
ref page 95 Fields book.

Another unknown (to me that is) set of jewels on Her Majesty. They look to be Indian in design. Thanks for the photo!

The Queen is rarely pictured wearing this historic amethyst pair of drop earrings part of the Kent Demi-Parure.
I think they are quite magnificent & should be seen more often.

State visit to Portugal 1985 (Tim Graham/Getty images)

ditto (Tim Graham/Getty images)

Thankyou for the pictures of the Kent amethysts. I think they are really lovely, with the tiny pendant drop.

Amethysts, while the Kent ones are beautiful don't fit the Queen IMO. I much prefer her in sapphires of emeralds I don't really know why!!!!

The Queen appropriately wears Emeralds for the Order of the Thistle Ceremony
I believe these are the pair that were originally purchased by Queen Victoria
Diamond & Emerald fringe earrings

The Queen appropriately wears Emeralds for the Order of the Thistle Ceremony
I believe these are the pair that were originally purchased by Queen Victoria
Diamond & Emerald fringe earrings
A photo, although small, appears on Fields page 95, and shows a definate fringe at the bottom of the emerald earrings.

The Thistle Ceremony earrings, I have not found much about, except that I know they can inerchanged with a diamond drop.

Another exquisite pair of sapphire earrings - part of the King George VI Victorian suite given to the then Princess Elizabeth by her father on her wedding day along with a matching necklace.

sapphires

I think that the photo Elly C shows, that it is the pair of Greville chandelier earrings.

Yes, indeed, as you state, this is another pair of chandelier earrings. I really would like to watch what is in Her Majesty The Queen's jewellery 'box'! I think that it is huge!

Any luck with a photo of the emerald fringe earrings?

No I haven't found a photo yet.

But, I have found another pair I don't recognise worn by the Queen at the Gala to celebrate her Golden Wedding Anniversary. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Getty images

Sorry, but the picture does not show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, but the picture does not show.

The pictures link works for me.
I've heard that such problems often occur with images from Getty: you just have to click the 'Refresh' button a couple of times and will be able to see the picture. :)
If you continue having difficulties opening the picture from Getty, you can view it here.

Last edited:
Elly C, these are the antique girandole earrings, that The Queen is wearing in your Garter photo. Any luck with a photo of the emerald fringe earrings?

Elly C,, if you go to the RJWMB, you will see that I asked for photos of the emerald fringe earrings. Baxter kindly provided them. I am unable to post photos, which means I appreciate the ones you have posted. Also Baxters.

No I haven't found a photo yet.

But, I have found another pair I don't recognise worn by the Queen at the Gala to celebrate her Golden Wedding Anniversary. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Getty images
These are still a mystery, althought to be a gift from an arab country or maybe Brunei.

These chandelier earrings look impressive,but imo,they are appropriate for a younger woman.I'm sure the Queen knows that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom