Queen Elizabeth II - Earrings: June 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The earrings that Elizabeth II wore during the final gala can be worn in two ways - with an emerald or a diamond center. HM wore them with the diamond center in the USA during the State banquet with George Bush. These earrings have a simple frame with round diamonds. Queen Mary's pendant earrings, on the other hand, have an elaborate diamond frame and a pearl center. The last time I saw them was at last year's Opening of Parliament.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen wore 'pink' earrings at the Mansion House to present the Music Medal. I never saw them before, any provenance?

Are these not the ruby and diamond earrings that HM has worn on many an occassion, often with the Barings necklace?

At first I thought these were amethysts in the centre but the image below seems to show the stones are a deeper colour & most likely rubies.

Mansion House

On RJWMB it is thought that these earrings are not Q. Marys. There is a comparison photos posted, and certainly to my eye at least, the centre stone is smaller, and the outer diamonds are a different setting.
I therefore conclude, they are not the same. And I wonder if we have a not before seen set of earrings.

I really think so that this is a new pair of earrings, or certainly not seen before. The ruby cluster earrings have a deeper red colour. This is really 'feminine pink' and not 'strong ruby red'.

Hmmm..... I suspect HM recently had a free afternoon, and spent the time looking through some of the royal vaults. Hence, you have seen the emergence of QMs diamond earrings, the wedding tiara, these "new" ruby / pink earrings...... Was she out there sorting out tiara's for Kate?

I thoght with that pink colour they were more likely to be pin topaz or something like that... Don't look like rubies to me. Certainly I don't recall seeing them before.

As for Tiaras for Kate - lets keep dreaming. And if she was digging tiaras out, more than one please!

Looking at the list of Crown Jewellery, left to The Crown by Queen Victoria, appears an 1847 gift from Prince Albert " earrings - pearl tops and drop pearls".
Have these been seen?

Happy Christmas to all posters.

A very nice close- up of the diamond earrings which I think have been discussed previously, but a picture hasn't appeared in this thread before. The Queen wore them to the Royal Variety performance in December 2009

Zimbio

Thank you Elly C!! We don't get to see these earrings often, although they're so very beautiful and classic.

Thank you Elly C!! We don't get to see these earrings often, although they're so very beautiful and classic.

You are right. If I am not mistaken, there have only been 2 times that HM has worn these earrings that belonged to her mother: one was for the recent trip to the Carribbean for the CHOGM, and once was the royal variety show.

I have discovered that the Queen's attendance at The Royal Variety Performance over the years has yielded an array of her wonderful earring collection (& other jewels)

Rubies in 1962 (Getty)

Emeralds in 1981 (Getty)

Diamonds in 2001 (Getty)

That leaves sapphires to find ;)

So true Elly - these emeralds definitely stand out. All of them stunning pieces!!:flowers:

Digressing slightly, but interesting to see that HM no longer wears a tiara at the royal variety show. Clearly an indicator of changing social norms

The Royal Variety Performance has yielded another "gem" ( excuse the pun) . I don't think these diamond hoops have been seen very often- does anyone know any information about them ?- worn in Edinburgh 2003

pic 1(Belga)

pic 2 (Belga)

These are possibly diamond pendant earrings with the diamond pendant removed to reduce the weight.
They aren't to be confused with Queen Mary's pendant earrings which have a different design and shape and contain large elongated pearl pendants.
(refer Field paperback 1992, pp40-41)

This picture cropped from a larger image and not subject to copyright.
EIIR Diamond Pendant Earrings

EarringsDiamondfromQueenMary.jpg

I can't believe I have never seen these! They are one of my new favorites (but aren't they all)! Thanks for the picture!!

Great close-up! Wonderful to see the old style setting up close

Thank you Warren for what would seem to be a very likely explanation :flowers: & a fantastic picture too.

I might be wrong, but I think these aren't the same earrings.
To me the the part that goes in the ear of the RVP earrings is a single diamond, whereas the earrings from Warren's close-up have a diamond bow, from which the diamond pendant is suspended.

Bobby

Hi Elly,

In Trinidad and Tobago (your picture) The Queen wore the earrings with the bow (Warren's close-up).

Bobby

The pink earrings The Queen wore in December last year caused a bit of excitement, because they were rarely seen or thought to be new.
Please check photographs of the 2004 St Paul's Cathedral Service for the Order of British Empire, at which The Queen wore full-length evening dress, the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara and I think the pink/topaz earrings The Queen are those of last December when she presented a prize in City of London.

:previous:
Here are a couple of photos of the occasion you refer to.

corbis

Getty

Not sure if they are the same as it's difficult to tell the stone, but the shape is right.

A good photo of the earrings worn in Bermuda refered to in earlier posts:

Bermuda (Chinapress)

I have to disagree with you, Queen Elizabrth. The earrings worn at The Order's Service remind me much more of a pair of all diamond flower/floret earrings worn exclusivlyin Elizabeth II's early years as Queen. I'll search for a photo to post.

Bobby

The corbis.getty photo earrings are diamond flower petal earrings. These were a 21st birthday gift from the Diplomatic Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom