The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelinaB. View Post
These chandelier earrings look impressive,but imo,they are appropriate for a younger woman.I'm sure the Queen knows that.
MelinaB, I was thinking something similar myself. Much as I adore QEII and her magnificent jewelry collection, recently I keep thinking, wow that looks heavy and uncomfortable when she has on the 'big gun' chandlier earrings. A sad true fact of life is that our ears continue to grow and soften as we get older. I think something more stud or cluster style might be more comfortable and look better to.

Janet, I must also agree with you about that emerald set. The heavy gold setting does not do the stone any favors.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelinaB. View Post
These chandelier earrings look impressive,but imo,they are appropriate for a younger woman.I'm sure the Queen knows that.
Not sure I agree, but if I am not mistaken, HM has not been seen in them for some time!

Old 07-24-2009, 12:39 PM
Serene Highness

I understood that the picture was old,that's why I said "I'm sure the Queen knows that".I think there's no misunderstanding now and we both agree.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen wears a matching set of ruby earrings & necklace for a banquet in Spain 1988. Leslie Field mentions a gift of a " diamond swag necklace with a centre piece of two large rubies" from the Amir of Qatar in 1985. There's no mention of the earrings but I wonder if this is the necklace & the earrings were either given at the same time of subsequently.
Rubies
(Getty images)
Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Nobility

One would have to think, that these were a matching set.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Aristocracy

I am SO enjoying this thread. Earrings are my favorite pieces of jewelry. Seems to me if your hair is nice, and you are wearing earrings that you like - you are ready to face anything!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Royal Highness

The Queen appears to have been relatively late in having her ears pierced & initially wore clip-on earrings. Here's a link to an article about the man who pierced the royal lobes - not just the Queen's but other members of the Royal Family. He believes that the heavy earrings required for the Coronation may have motivated the Queen in having her ears pierced. I wonder if some pairs were"converted" to clip-on prior to this.

Cyril Wilkinson (The Free Lance Star)
Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Royal Highness

I have gathered together a number of photos of the Queen before she was crowned wearing what I presume to be clip-on earrings. On her wedding day she wore The Duchess of Teck Diamond & Pearl earrings, a twentieth birthday present from Queen Mary. These were adapted prior her ears being pierced.

The Royal Collection 1

The Royal Collection 2 (you can magnify the image)

Corbis

Wedding Day The Royal Collection (you can magnify the image)
Old 08-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Nobility

There is an interesting b&w photo on RJWMB, of The Queen wearing the Cambridge Necklace plus emerald/diamond earrings. These earrings are part of the Cambridge emerald parure. The earrings consist of a large oval shaped emerald surrounded by 11 medium sized diamonds. page 89 Fields has a lovely coloured photo.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by joye View Post
Any luck with a photo of the emerald fringe earrings?
I think have found another photo of the earrings worn here with the Godman necklace in 2004 at the State banquet at Windsor castle for President Chirac.

Life images

According to Field, in 1850 Queen Victoria purchased a pair of diamond earrings "whose emerald drops were framed by a diamond fringe". She left them in her will to the Crown. However, the picture in Field's book suggest these are more tapered at the bottom than the ones in the image above/r worn at the Garter ceremony in my previous post, so I'm not sure these are the same pair, what do you think?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 AM
Nobility

The Queen seems to team the emerald fringe earrings with the emerald Godman necklace. I think in this photo it is the emerald fringe earrings.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Royal Highness

I agree that it is the emerald fringe earrings. As a side note, I love the Godman necklace, especially teamed up with that Vladimir tiara with emerald drops!
However, I have often wondered why HM doesn't wear the emerald drop earrings of Queen Alexandra's with the Vladimir tiara? I know the Duchess of Cornwall wears them at the present time, but those earrings with that tiara would be a perfect fit.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I love this image also on the DVD the Queens
Castle for the Entente cordiale- I play this on my projector and pause on the emerald necklace (earring) during the speech what can I say breathtaking.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 PM

The Quleen's Favorite Earrings

Elly C,

That is a beautiful photo of the Queen at the statue unveiling; what about the brooch? It is simply beautiful -- can you identify it? Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:29 PM

Rubies

Elly C,

I can't speak to the matching ruby necklace and earrings, however, the diamond hair ornament is one of Queen Victoria's Wheat Ear brooches. There were six brooches made with diamonds belonging to King George III. There is a beautiful picture of them in the Leslie Fields book "The Queen's Jewels."
Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
Elly C,

That is a beautiful photo of the Queen at the statue unveiling; what about the brooch? It is simply beautiful -- can you identify it? Thanks.
Hi & welcome to the forum. There's a separate thread for the Queen's brooches, & if you go to page 13 posts 253-256 you'll see there's a brief discussion about the brooch. Muriel has commented it was significant that the Queen wore it on that occasion as the Queen Mother had worn it on her 100th birthday.

I have just found a picture of the Queen wearing what appears to be a pair of turquoise earrings. It's rare to find a photo of her wearing this stone - she usually opts for the Brazilian aquamarine pair when choosing this shade. They could be the ones mentioned by Leslie Field given by the King of Jordan along with a cluster & drop necklace. Does anyone have any more information?

Turquoise

I prefer them to the aqauamarine set, particularly teamed with this gown.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Nobility

The Turquoise earrings are a set with the necklace. Gift from Jordan. I think both are very pretty, and am disappointed they are not worn more often.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:20 PM

Thanks for directing me to another thread on brooches. I was perusing another thread when I came across another picture of QEII wearing what appears to be the same turquois earrings and necklace. Check out QEII Tiaras and Necklaces Novo 2005 to Nov 2007, page 3, #46.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Here is the post referred to by LindaM... Jordanian Turquoises
Old 08-21-2009, 12:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

Here is the post referred to by LindaM... Jordanian Turquoises
Thank you Warren & LindaM - it is a lovely set. I wish we saw them more often.