Queen Elizabeth II - Earrings: June 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These chandelier earrings look impressive,but imo,they are appropriate for a younger woman.I'm sure the Queen knows that.
MelinaB, I was thinking something similar myself. Much as I adore QEII and her magnificent jewelry collection, recently I keep thinking, wow that looks heavy and uncomfortable when she has on the 'big gun' chandlier earrings. A sad true fact of life is that our ears continue to grow and soften as we get older. I think something more stud or cluster style might be more comfortable and look better to.

Janet, I must also agree with you about that emerald set. The heavy gold setting does not do the stone any favors.

These chandelier earrings look impressive,but imo,they are appropriate for a younger woman.I'm sure the Queen knows that.

Not sure I agree, but if I am not mistaken, HM has not been seen in them for some time!

I understood that the picture was old,that's why I said "I'm sure the Queen knows that".I think there's no misunderstanding now and we both agree.

The Queen wears a matching set of ruby earrings & necklace for a banquet in Spain 1988. Leslie Field mentions a gift of a " diamond swag necklace with a centre piece of two large rubies" from the Amir of Qatar in 1985. There's no mention of the earrings but I wonder if this is the necklace & the earrings were either given at the same time of subsequently.
Rubies
(Getty images)

One would have to think, that these were a matching set.

I am SO enjoying this thread. Earrings are my favorite pieces of jewelry. Seems to me if your hair is nice, and you are wearing earrings that you like - you are ready to face anything!

The Queen appears to have been relatively late in having her ears pierced & initially wore clip-on earrings. Here's a link to an article about the man who pierced the royal lobes - not just the Queen's but other members of the Royal Family. He believes that the heavy earrings required for the Coronation may have motivated the Queen in having her ears pierced. I wonder if some pairs were"converted" to clip-on prior to this.

Cyril Wilkinson (The Free Lance Star)

I have gathered together a number of photos of the Queen before she was crowned wearing what I presume to be clip-on earrings. On her wedding day she wore The Duchess of Teck Diamond & Pearl earrings, a twentieth birthday present from Queen Mary. These were adapted prior her ears being pierced.

The Royal Collection 1

The Royal Collection 2 (you can magnify the image)

Corbis

Wedding Day The Royal Collection (you can magnify the image)

There is an interesting b&w photo on RJWMB, of The Queen wearing the Cambridge Necklace plus emerald/diamond earrings. These earrings are part of the Cambridge emerald parure. The earrings consist of a large oval shaped emerald surrounded by 11 medium sized diamonds. page 89 Fields has a lovely coloured photo.

Any luck with a photo of the emerald fringe earrings?

I think have found another photo of the earrings worn here with the Godman necklace in 2004 at the State banquet at Windsor castle for President Chirac.

Life images

According to Field, in 1850 Queen Victoria purchased a pair of diamond earrings "whose emerald drops were framed by a diamond fringe". She left them in her will to the Crown. However, the picture in Field's book suggest these are more tapered at the bottom than the ones in the image above/r worn at the Garter ceremony in my previous post, so I'm not sure these are the same pair, what do you think?

The Queen seems to team the emerald fringe earrings with the emerald Godman necklace. I think in this photo it is the emerald fringe earrings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it is the emerald fringe earrings. As a side note, I love the Godman necklace, especially teamed up with that Vladimir tiara with emerald drops!
However, I have often wondered why HM doesn't wear the emerald drop earrings of Queen Alexandra's with the Vladimir tiara? I know the Duchess of Cornwall wears them at the present time, but those earrings with that tiara would be a perfect fit.

The Quleen's Favorite Earrings

Elly C,

That is a beautiful photo of the Queen at the statue unveiling; what about the brooch? It is simply beautiful -- can you identify it? Thanks.

Rubies

Elly C,

I can't speak to the matching ruby necklace and earrings, however, the diamond hair ornament is one of Queen Victoria's Wheat Ear brooches. There were six brooches made with diamonds belonging to King George III. There is a beautiful picture of them in the Leslie Fields book "The Queen's Jewels."

Elly C,

That is a beautiful photo of the Queen at the statue unveiling; what about the brooch? It is simply beautiful -- can you identify it? Thanks.
Hi & welcome to the forum. There's a separate thread for the Queen's brooches, & if you go to page 13 posts 253-256 you'll see there's a brief discussion about the brooch. Muriel has commented it was significant that the Queen wore it on that occasion as the Queen Mother had worn it on her 100th birthday.

I have just found a picture of the Queen wearing what appears to be a pair of turquoise earrings. It's rare to find a photo of her wearing this stone - she usually opts for the Brazilian aquamarine pair when choosing this shade. They could be the ones mentioned by Leslie Field given by the King of Jordan along with a cluster & drop necklace. Does anyone have any more information?

Turquoise

I prefer them to the aqauamarine set, particularly teamed with this gown.

The Turquoise earrings are a set with the necklace. Gift from Jordan. I think both are very pretty, and am disappointed they are not worn more often.

Thanks for directing me to another thread on brooches. I was perusing another thread when I came across another picture of QEII wearing what appears to be the same turquois earrings and necklace. Check out QEII Tiaras and Necklaces Novo 2005 to Nov 2007, page 3, #46.

I don't remember ever seeing the picture with the Turquoise. I would love to see it now on HM,with her white hair I think it would really be beautiful.

The Queen wore, early in her reign, what I call the Bahrain earrings. These consist of a round diamond stud suspending 3 baquette diamonds and the a medium sized pearl. They first came to notice when the Royal Collection featured them as a 1947 wedding present from Sheikh of Bahrain.
I queried The Royal Collection at the time as the official listing of the wedding presents did not include earrings from Bahrain.
He gave a pearl shell with 7 pearls attached.
I have been told that 2 pearls from this gift were used to make the earrings.
This may be so, but I am not fully convinced.
These earrings can be seen on The Royal Collection site for the 1947 wedding presents.

The shear size of the drop in the pearl earrings is just breathtaking, I'm just in awe of them. And the rubies.....a delight!;)

Thankyou EllyC for the photos of rubies and the pearl earrings.

The Queen also has a single pearl stud earrings.
Again worn during the early years of her reign.

Any luck with a photo of the Bahrain earrings.[Royal Collection Royal Tours exhibits]?

I really like the design of the Bahrain earrings.
So glad you found them EllyC, despite my mis information in my last post.

Jewellery worn for Opening of Parliament

As we have seen The Queen wears different earrings for The Garter Ceremony.

She also wears a different necklace and earrings for Opening of Parliament.
I have noticed the large drop pearl earrings, and the girandole earrings. Also Q. Vic. drop diamond earrings.
The necklaces have been Q. Vic collet diamond necklace, Festoon necklace and the Golden Jubilee necklace.
Can we see which have been worn since 2000?

Yes, the Queen appears to have alternated several pairs over the years. I have found some :
(all Life images)
Queen Mary's Pendant earrings & Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee Necklace

Queen Mary's Floret earrings & King George VI's three row festoon necklace
ditto (not very flattering of Her Majesty , but a good close up of the earrings

Queen Victoria's Collet Earrings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom