Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like a "C" in the middle so perhaps it was a gift from the Commonwealth ministers at some time in the past.

I am not sure it is a "C" in the middle, just the lighting. I think it is a series of squares in diamonds, not sure what is in the middle of the squares.

The brooch almost has an Art Deco style to it; very nice from what I can see of it.

Last edited:
Are there any undescribed gifts from last year?
If it's not vintage deco - it looks it and I LIKE IT!

It's strange how the lighting gives the stones a "C" formation, but I also think they look like very large diamonds.

Yesterday The Queen wore this brooch:

Queen Elizabeth II Pictures - Weekly Bucket - Zimbio

To me it looks like wedding gift number 1789, from the Returned Soldiers, Sailors and Airman League of Australia, described on the list as a spray of flowering gum in gold and black opals. Not worn very often (The Queen doesn't seem to favour opals at all!)

The Opal Spray has the following provenance, which was supplied to me when I made enquiries (NOT from BP, by the way)

The black opal brooch worn by QEII in Canberra in 2000 [ and more recently in October 2013 and March 2014 ] was indeed the wedding gift from the Returned Sailors and Soldiers & Airmen's Imperial League of Australia.
An emblem of Australia it is a brooch representing a spray of our well known flowering gum composed of Australian gold and opals. Indicative of a purely Australian industry - black opal being found nowhere else in the world - the blossoms are formed by rare gems from the various opal fields of Australia, the number being representative of the Governmental states of the Commonwealth, the aim of the designers being to incorporate purely Australian symbols in a piece of jewellery suitable for such an auspicious occasion. The casket is of inlaid Australian blackwood, bearing, in gold, the badge of the League.

I am delighted that this gorgeous piece has made a couple of appearances in recent months and hope this signals that we can expect to see it more often.

Last edited:
*blinks*

Please tell me that's not an optical illusion and I really am seeing my Birthstone being worn by HM The Queen and I don't mean HM Queen Maxima and the Dutch Fire Opals!?! I really am seeing this!?!

:D :D :D :D

I adore my Birthstone and do not understand why there's this apparent lack of love for it in Royal Circles. It's the one stone that actually works w/any colour of outfit and yet....!?!

I will quite gleefully take this lovely surprise however. Would love a closer look of the brooch, as it truly looks amazing.

*blinks*

Please tell me that's not an optical illusion and I really am seeing my Birthstone being worn by HM The Queen and I don't mean HM Queen Maxima and the Dutch Fire Opals!?! I really am seeing this!?!

:D :D :D :D

I adore my Birthstone and do not understand why there's this apparent lack of love for it in Royal Circles. It's the one stone that actually works w/any colour of outfit and yet....!?!

I will quite gleefully take this lovely surprise however. Would love a closer look of the brooch, as it truly looks amazing.

I'm guessing you mean the lovely opal brooch...?

From my picture sent to me by Australian War Memorial

Last edited:
BBC News - Queen meets Pope Francis at the Vatican

Does anybody recognise the brooch HM is wearing in Rome today? You will need to scroll down to the bottom of the BBC story to get the best view.

To me, it does not look like the Kent amethyst brooch she normally uses - perhaps it is one of the other Kent brooches rarely seen.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Kent Amethyst Demi-Parure

Her Majesty is wearing her late Mother's sapphire and diamond brooch. I will try and locate a photo

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
BBC News - Queen meets Pope Francis at the Vatican

Does anybody recognise the brooch HM is wearing in Rome today? You will need to scroll down to the bottom of the BBC story to get the best view.

To me, it does not look like the Kent amethyst brooch she normally uses - perhaps it is one of the other Kent brooches rarely seen.

From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault: The Kent Amethyst Demi-Parure

Her Majesty is wearing her late Mother's sapphire and diamond brooch. I will try and locate a photo

It certainly looks like QEQM's sapphire brooch. Why HM would wear a sapphire brooch with what looks like a lilac outfit, recognising she may have a few amethyst brooches (and more neutral diamond, or diamond and pearl ones) she could use, shall remain a mystery to us all.

It certainly looks like QEQM's sapphire brooch. Why HM would wear a sapphire brooch with what looks like a lilac outfit, recognising she may have a few amethyst brooches (and more neutral diamond, or diamond and pearl ones) she could use, shall remain a mystery to us all.

Perhaps we have to call it lavender and as the old rhyme says - Lavender's blue !!! :)

Maybe she simply likes how the sapphire color "reads" on a lilac background. Purple on purple reads very differently than it does on white or pink, etc. Perhaps she simply likes how the color pops. She has done this before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom