Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The brooch in your photo is the HMS Vanguard brooch. Gift from Messrs John Brown (Shipping) on the launching of HMS Vanguard, 1944
broochHMSVanguard.jpg

Antique Diamond set design of a wild rose flower with three leaves on a sprig tied with a tiny bow at the bottom

Thanks for posting this Gill. I looked for it but found no pic of the brooch. I did find some lovely pictures of QEII from the time, though.

This was a wedding present to the Queen from the Jewellers & Silversmiths of Great Britain. Not worn often but has made a number of appearances over the years...

LiberationSquareStHelierJerseyMondayMay92005-preview_1972889.jpg

Many thanks, GillW

As Gill said, the Lace Diamond and Ruby Brooch was a wedding gift. It was described as a gold lace-work brooch set with diamonds and rubies.
Among other occasions, the Queen wore the brooch for the Qatar State visit.

- The brooch as worn for the Qatar State visit
- The Brooch as worn for the visit to Bristol

Images cropped from larger ones.

Attachments

• Diamond and Ruby Lace Brooch.jpg
    Diamond and Ruby Lace Brooch.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 557
  • Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Visits+Bristol+Old+I4sVL4emMQyx.jpg
    Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Visits+Bristol+Old+I4sVL4emMQyx.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 824
As Gill said, the Lace Diamond and Ruby Brooch was a wedding gift. It was described as a gold lace-work brooch set with diamonds and rubies.
Among other occasions, the Queen wore the brooch for the Qatar State visit.

- The brooch as worn for the Qatar State visit
- The Brooch as worn for the visit to Bristol

Images cropped from larger ones.

I give big props to the designers of this brooch, and their fine intentions however... To me it looks like a not quite functional nano-bot toy. If you have children dreaming of these little critters for XMas - you know they are odd bits of functionality connected to a power source and able to scramble awkwardly over rough terrain. But it is good to see the Queen giving the brooch another outing.

The brooch in your photo is the HMS Vanguard brooch. Gift from Messrs John Brown (Shipping) on the launching of HMS Vanguard, 1944

Antique Diamond set design of a wild rose flower with three leaves on a sprig tied with a tiny bow at the bottom

Wow, what a stunning brooch. Has HM not worn it for a while? Maybe she's recycled it for some other piece? It seems right up her alley.

Wow, what a stunning brooch. Has HM not worn it for a while? Maybe she's recycled it for some other piece? It seems right up her alley.
It's indeed a stunning piece but unfortunately, the Queen hasn't worn it for many years (decades, possibly). However, there is no reason to think the brooch is no longer with the Queen; after all, there are many beautiful pieces that haven't seen the light of the day for much longer.

One of the last pictures of Her Majesty wearing the Vanguard Rose Brooch.
Image in public domain

Attachments

• QEII708.jpg
    QEII708.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 457
It's indeed a stunning piece but unfortunately, the Queen hasn't worn it for many years (decades, possibly). However, there is no reason to think the brooch is no longer with the Queen; after all, there are many beautiful pieces that haven't seen the light of the day for much longer.

One of the last pictures of Her Majesty wearing the Vanguard Rose Brooch.

It just seems odd to me that she's not worn it for decades, it would seem. It seems like the sort of brooch HM loves - fairly traditional, not too small or too big, with plenty of sparkle and just one colour stone so she could wear it with pretty much anything. Some of the brooches she doesn't wear seem to be because she's just not a particular fan of the style - often more modern, or because they're very specifically from a particular part of the world or armed forces regiment.

I wonder if she's gifted it to someone close to her who's not in the public eye? Or used the stones for another piece? It would be a pity not to see it again.

Lovely closeup pic of the fish brooch. Do we know if she has ever worn it or do we know anything else about it.

There aren't too many of her pieces that I don't care for, but this is not a favorite, and I do like animal and plant brooches very much..

I don't care much for the fish brooch, but the detail is exquisite and the sapphire just luscious.

But is the fish brooch even part of the Queen's collection?
It is from the year of Her Majesty's coronation but nowhere did I find a reference it actually belongs to her.

I looked for it after I read earlier in the thread about a brooch of hers that was like a sea-serpent or some such. It is in the Victoria & Albert Museum, but I will leave it to you experts to determine if it one of the Queen's... :)

Thanks a lot for the effort; it's always nice to identify new brooches of the Queen. :flowers:

However, I don't think the fish brooch fits the description of the sea creature brooch which is described as "a mythical sea creature wearing a gold crown, covered in pavé-set diamonds and with cabochon ruby eyes". :)

HI. New to the boards - loving the Queen depsite being from across the Pond! Here is a close up I found of the fish:

Jewels Queen's Brooches / The Treskow Fish Brooch, 1953

and please, if I have misidentified any of my pins, please advise - GillW - hope compiling all the photos in one place will help you get caught up!!

Hi - cool brooch and WELCOME! What's the history on this one - when has the Queen worn it?

sea creature brooch

I think we've decided the fish link I posted wasn't the sea creature. on a different note, does anyone have a good photo of the "foot long brooch"?

I think we've decided the fish link I posted wasn't the sea creature. on a different note, does anyone have a good photo of the "foot long brooch"?

I've attached two of the clearest pictures I have of the Queen's Lily Brooch. The first picture is of the Queen Mother wearing it to Ascot in 1960's and the second one - from the South African state visit in 2010: the latter is the clearest picture of the brooch I am aware of.

A bit more information on the brooch: known as the "Foot Long Floral Brooch", it is 17.2 cm long and was created by Cartier in 1939 using 203 stones from the collection of Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mother) in addition to 52 stones from Cartier.

Can you imagine what it's like to have 203 diamonds just laying around? :ohmy:

Attachments

• Foot Long brooch.jpg
    Foot Long brooch.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 399
  • Foot Long brooch - President+Republic+South+Africa+Makes+State+8LvJqcd4p_Hx.jpg
    Foot Long brooch - President+Republic+South+Africa+Makes+State+8LvJqcd4p_Hx.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
HI. New to the boards - loving the Queen depsite being from across the Pond! Here is a close up I found of the fish:

Jewels Queen's Brooches / The Treskow Fish Brooch, 1953

and please, if I have misidentified any of my pins, please advise - GillW - hope compiling all the photos in one place will help you get caught up!!

A very nice site - thanks for the link. It's not that I'm behind with cataloguing the brooches themselves. It's just that I keep a kind of diary/spreadsheet of events & which brooch was worn, where and on which outfit, that I'm behind with. But I do appreciate your thought. Of course many of those on the link are not HMs brooches, even though they are very pretty ones. And a number of HMs are not featured there. But a very nice link, nevertheless.

Artemisia said:
I've attached two of the clearest pictures I have of the Queen's Lily Brooch...
Holy smokes! That is some brooch! Gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lancaster Brooch

Did anyone ever find a good photo of the Lancaster Brooch? And any provenance?

I've attached two of the clearest pictures I have of the Queen's Lily Brooch...
Wow that's a really exquisite brooch,I wonder exactly how many brooches Her Majesty has in the jewel chest!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's a really exquisite brooch,I wonder exactly how many brooches Her Majesty has in the jewel chest!
Well, I can't say the exact number (doubt anyone can) but my personal and ever-expanding database now has 220+ brooches.
So, if the Queen was particularly well-disposed to her jewelacholic followers, she could probably wear a new brooch every single day of the year.

Well, I can't say the exact number (doubt anyone can) but my personal and ever-expanding database now has 220+ brooches.
So, if the Queen was particularly well-disposed to her jewelacholic followers, she could probably wear a new brooch every single day of the year.

And I'm sure that number will no doubt rise!

Artemisia, are you going to publish your database? I would buy a copy!!

Did anyone ever find a good photo of the Lancaster Brooch? And any provenance?
Do you mean the Tudor Rose Brooch (combining the red and white roses of Lancaster and York) the Queen wore on two occasions back in July?

Virtually nothing is known about its provenance; however, since there is no record of the Queen wearing it before, and since she wore it on two different events fairly close to each other, it is generally assumed the brooch is a recent (Diamond Jubilee-related?) gift. Either that, or it was a long-forgotten piece recently found in the vaults.

There are no clear pictures of the brooch; the two I've attached are the clearest I could crop.
The best of my knowledge, no better pictures are available anywhere.

Cropped from larger images and consist of less than 20% of the originals.

Attachments

• Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Elizabeth+II+Visits+mKTlK5JO6Alx.jpg
    Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Elizabeth+II+Visits+mKTlK5JO6Alx.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 530
  • Tudor Rose.jpg
    Tudor Rose.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 528
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom