Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Williamson Pink has long been top of my favourites. That pink diamond is breathtaking and when I saw it on display a few years ago, the colour reminded me of a a pale sweat-pea flower. I'm REALLY hoping that the Palace will be selling replica brooches this summer when I visit. I already have their copy of the Australian Wattle and the Flame Lily which are both perfect copies.

PS - my copy of The Queen's Diamonds arrived today - and includes the most gorgeous photo of the Williamson Pink. Of course just about every other page is stunning too. Glad I took advantage of Amazon's amazing price offer to get my copy.

Last edited:
After re-reading the article about the Williamson Pink, I realized that they were saying we could see the brooch this summer as in it would be "shown" this summer, meaning exhibited! A diamond exhibit called Diamonds, a Jubilee Celebration will be at Buckingham Palace, and many of HM major diamond pieces will be on view!

The Williamson Pink has long been top of my favourites. That pink diamond is breathtaking and when I saw it on display a few years ago, the colour reminded me of a a pale sweat-pea flower. I'm REALLY hoping that the Palace will be selling replica brooches this summer when I visit. I already have their copy of the Australian Wattle and the Flame Lily which are both perfect copies.

PS - my copy of The Queen's Diamonds arrived today - and includes the most gorgeous photo of the Williamson Pink. Of course just about every other page is stunning too. Glad I took advantage of Amazon's amazing price offer to get my copy.

Lucky you on two counts: that you have replicas of two of HM's brooches and for getting that amazing book. I can only imagine how beautiful the photos of those brooches must be. And have you actually worn those brooches, or do you keep them in your own "royal vault"?

Last edited:
Lucky you on two counts: that you have replicas of two of HM's brooches and for getting that amazing book. I can only imagine how beautiful the photos of those brooches must be. And have you actually worn those brooches, or do you keep them in your own "royal vault"?

I have worn them indeed, but I'm always sure to use a safety chain too just in case the clasp comes undone. I keep them for very special occasions. I already have tickets for the exhibition at Buckingham Palace and will be going on 5th August.

I can't quite see; is today's luncheon brooch the Cambridge pearl brooch?

For me, the paisley brooch rivals the Williamson brooch as HM's most beautiful. It is just perfectly formed.

It is such an unusual shape, isn't it? I just love how it swirls outward at the tip.

It is such an unusual shape, isn't it? I just love how it swirls outward at the tip.

Well, of course, that swirl is the traditional "paisley" shape which was very popular in Victorian times.

I was wondering because Queen Elizabeth has so many brooches representing the different Commonwealth countries, but does she have one representing Antigua and Barbuda?

I was wondering because Queen Elizabeth has so many brooches representing the different Commonwealth countries, but does she have one representing Antigua and Barbuda?

I'd suspect only if they have presented her with one, as most of these brooches with a regional significance have been official gifts from that country. I'm not aware of one.

Her Majesty added a new brooch to her vast collection today.
While attending Chelsea Flower Show, the Royal Horticultural Society presented Queen Elizabeth with a white gold brooch; it's the shape of an iris, and contains 60 sapphires (to commemorate the Queen's 60 years on the throne), as well as 15 diamonds, 20 amethysts, 30 tourmalines, and a large yellow diamond in the centre.

Edit - Everyone seems to have agreed on a name for this brooch, so Chelsea Iris it is then. :)

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 40% of the original.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Hands down, my vote for Chelsea Flower Brooch to commemmorate the occasion. It's lovely but I'll take the Jardine Star any day!

the Iris brooch, or maybe the Chelsea Iris

the Iris brooch, or maybe the Chelsea Iris

Yes, I was thinking the Chelsea Iris was a good name - short & clear. But of course it's stopped us being able to speculate on which one it will be each year because we can guarantee it will be this one forever more at the CFS!

I hope that the "net" head piece won't be included with the Chelsea Iris brooch every year! Very bland, imho.

I can see the yellow diamond and the tourmaline (the small green stones in the "leaf" near the bottom right?) but I can't quite make out the other stones. I thought the two dark areas could be the amethysts but they also look more like a reflection. Nice design, though.

Never mind, I just found a much larger pic of it: LINK

Chelsea Iris is a great name and while it's a lovely brooch, I don't think it can compare to the incomparable ones we've seen from her collection.

So, by general consensus we hereby christen this brooch "Chelsea Iris". :)
I have to agree with Baroness; while lovely, it can hardly be compared to most of the Queen's pieces. On the other hand, it's the sentiment behind it that matters, and I'm sure Her Majesty will often wear it for future Chelsea Flower Shows (and possibly other occasions too).

And may she wear this new piece in good health, as the saying goes.

Wow, £40,000 for that brooch? Impressive as it is, it's not got a massive number of precious stones on it, comparatively speaking. When you think of all HM's brooches that are literally covered in diamonds etc., your mind boggles at what her brooch collection alone would be worth.
The Royal Horticultural Society obviously respect and admire HM very deeply to give her such a generous gift. It's just the sort of thing HM will love.

:previous:
I think the bulk of the cost is because of the decent-size yellow diamond in the centre; it alone must be worth tens of thousands.

The Queen's personal jewellery collection is quite literally priceless; the illustrious history behind them (and equally illustrious owners) give them a value far above the price of the stones alone - and those stones are magnificent in their own right.

You're absolutely right, Artemisia. It's impossible to guess at the value of HM's jewellery because the royal provenance and history adds significantly to their value.

Like they say on the Antiques Roadshow, even the most ordinary item can become very valuable with the right history. Look no further than that utterly awful see through 'dress' Kate wore at the charity fashion show at St Andrews which sold at auction last year for almost £80,000! I mean you could buy 2 Chelsea Iris brooches for that money!

Provenance is everything; in HM's case, it elevates an extremely valuable item/collection into the realms of the priceless and most likely an inability to place a monetary value on it.

I can see the yellow diamond and the tourmaline (the small green stones in the "leaf" near the bottom right?) but I can't quite make out the other stones. I thought the two dark areas could be the amethysts but they also look more like a reflection. Nice design, though.

Never mind, I just found a much larger pic of it: LINK

I suspect that the dark areas of the petals could either be enamelled, or more likely the effect known as "blackened" gold (but don't ask me how they do that 'cus I don't know!)

I suspect that the dark areas of the petals could either be enamelled, or more likely the effect known as "blackened" gold (but don't ask me how they do that 'cus I don't know!)

Looking at the larger picture, I think it is a reflection. It doesn't look like anything is set in those areas. If this brooch is that reflective, I can't wait until HM wears it on a sunny day:)

The Mail Online link states that the Royal Horticultural Society Iris brooch contains:
60 sapphires
30 tourmelines
20 amethysts
15 diamonds
1 yellow diamond
- a total of 126 [stones, specks and dust].
Which begs the question "Where are they all hiding?"

Here's something more substantial...

Diamond Brooch

Buckingham Palace Garden Party, 22 May 2012

v cropped image
not subject to copyright

Attachments

• Brooch 1.jpg
    Brooch 1.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 337
The Mail Online link states that the Royal Horticultural Society Iris brooch contains:
60 sapphires
30 tourmelines
20 amethysts
15 diamonds
1 yellow diamond
- a total of 126 [stones, specks and dust].
Which begs the question "Where are they all hiding?"

According to the artist who created the brooch, most of the stones are on the outer borders.
Unfortunately, because of the angle of the picture, only handful of them are visible - tourmalines, some of the diamonds and amethysts, and of course, the yellow diamond. We are probably used to the huge and very visible stones in Her Majesty's brooches; most of these are quite small.

Here's something more substantial...
Diamond Brooch
That's one of the Queen's Rose Spray Brooch (she has got two rather similar ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom