Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GillW, what brooch The Queen wore today when she 'said goodbye' to President Zuma? I think I haven't seen it before. Maybe it's a new gift from South Africa?.

Thanks in advance.
Bobby

Great archive work digging that 60's pic of the foot long brooch out - I had never seen that one before, it is a biggie (though not quite a foot!) It's a good one for big jewelled up occasions...

GillW, what brooch The Queen wore today when she 'said goodbye' to President Zuma? I think I haven't seen it before. Maybe it's a new gift from South Africa?.

Thanks in advance.
Bobby

The brooch was a gift to HM from Nelson Mandela in November 1999.

A gift from Nelson Mandela in 1999. What is the actual shape of it? Is it a crown or so, suspect this is the first time she has worn it then?

A gift from Nelson Mandela in 1999. What is the actual shape of it? Is it a crown or so, suspect this is the first time she has worn it then?

This is the third time that I know of. The design is of a peacock tail in assorted stones. I have never been able to trace a clear close up of it. It was first worn to a meeting with Mr Mandela, then again for the arrival on a state visit of President Mbeki on 21 June 2001, then this week.

As far 2010 is advancing, we have been treated enermously by The Queen. The emerald part of a stomacher of Queen Mary came out again, the triple ruby rosette brooch from the Queen Mother came out for the first time on The Queen, the foot long brooch, a south african gift from Mandela on the farewell for the SA president, and now on the Commonwealth Observance Broadcast (photograph), she wore something I never saw before. I must confess I don't know anything at the moment about the Queen's brooches, she has worn a lot of surprises.

From the few photos I've seen of the Commonwealth broadcast at this moment it looks like it might be the Greater Nizam Rose brooch

Last edited by a moderator:
The brooch was a gift to HM from Nelson Mandela in November 1999.

Thanks for the explanation, Gill! I suspected it has a SA connection, but didn't know the exact story behind the brooch.

Bobby

Prince of Peslav, yes we know that the Queen wore a sapphire and diamond brooch in the form of a set of grapes, but we are talking about the photograph of The Queen in her office wearing the dress of the 2008 Christmas Day outfit and recently again worn at the City of London engagements.

Thanks GillW for trying to help me, but it can be that one, but I have my doubts as well, because when I open it up in Powerpoint, it seems not that round as the Greater Nizam.

:previous:
Sory, I should read more carefully next time! I just saw Commonwealth and thought of the Wastminster Abbey Service.
Anyway, it's indeed very hard to tell which brooch The Queen wore from the photo I saw on The Royal Channel.

Bobby

The Queen has worn part of the Kent amethyst brooch, for her Devon visit to the cadets.

If only she would wear the rest of the amethysts again some time soon. I do like it when she wears these old jewels with a real history to them.

This is one of my favourite brooches in general. The amethyst works so well with the purple coat. The Queen does know how to make beautiful combinations - thumbs up!

This is one of my favourite brooches in general. The amethyst works so well with the purple coat. The Queen does know how to make beautiful combinations - thumbs up!

I know the amethyst looks wonderful on purple, but how gorgeous would it be on one of those crisp white summer jackets she has? It would be breathtaking....

Super great idea Gill, the contrast would be incredible!

I'm with you

I know the amethyst looks wonderful on purple, but how gorgeous would it be on one of those crisp white summer jackets she has? It would be breathtaking....

Sure, it would look absolutely chic! Looking forward to it.:flowers:

Just found out that the Girl Guides have Centenary Celebration this year, so I'm hoping HM will wear the brooch they gave her to one of their events.

Maundy is coming shortly, wonder which brooch this time?

I agree, it's a beautiful brooch. Loved Her Majesty's pearls once again!

I agree, it's a beautiful brooch. Loved Her Majesty's pearls once again!

Yes, the brooch is beautiful. What gems is it? I also wonder if the Queen wears real pearls or glass. I have heard on QVC in American that woman of her time period wore glass pearls because real pearls were hard to get. Does anyone know if her pearl are real?:);):)

The central stone in HM's brooch is a 18.8 carat diamond, known as Cullinan V. You can find out more about the brooch here.

Of coure these are real pearls! Even if real pearls were hard to get at a time, The Queen sure had the resources to buy the real thing. She has inherited a lot of pearls from her mother and grandmother. Before that she already had many real pearl necklaces. This particular necklace is a favourite of hers, actually. What's more, I doubt Elizabeth II has ever worn a fake jewel.

Bobby

Thank you. Did you know that Jacqueline favorite pearls were glass? All society women at that time wore glass pearls, so I wondered about the Queen's.:);):)

One can never tire of the Cullinan V heart shaped diamond brooch. It is so stunning. The Queen is looking so beautiful in the tangerine color!!

Pearl Necklaces

The Queen has 3 choices for her daytime 3 strand pearls necklaces.
1. Silver Jubilee gift from George V
2. Coronation gift from Amir of Qatar.
3. Necklace made from family collection of pearls early in her reign.

Thank you. Did you know that Jacqueline favorite pearls were glass? All society women at that time wore glass pearls, so I wondered about the Queen's.:);):)

The jewelry Her Majesty wears are indeed very real. To go a bit off topic, Diana wore several pieces of costume jewels, but the Queen wears the real deal.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom