Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else wonder what's going to happen to these brooches when the Queen dies? I understand that some have historical significance and will remain with "the Queen's Jewels" to be worn by successive Queens. But there's gotta be enough there that are her personal property that every member of her family could receive half a dozen or so!

I have 125 in my data and I know there must be more, so yes, plenty to go around. I expect the "pick of the crop" will stay with the next queen and onwards, but maybe some with special family significance will pass to the close lady relatives. I would find it very sad if they vanished from view, as I love them all so much!

The Arab Dhow Brooch -- one of the mysteries of my database. But I did some research work, but don't expect an answer. Wikipedia states that a dhow means an Arabic ship. The dhow can carry goods and appears in the coat of arms of Kuwait, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. Even Q8 (Kuwait Petrol) has dhows in its symbol. The most expensive hotel in the world, in Dubai, is built in a dhow design. Now, the clue, is it possible that The Queen ever baptised a ship of this kind in those countries, or visited the hotel, or opened a Petrol Terminal in those countries, as she did this year earlier in Milford Haven? And that the brooch was given on such an occasion?

The Arab Dhow Brooch -- one of the mysteries of my database. But I did some research work, but don't expect an answer. Wikipedia states that a dhow means an Arabic ship. The dhow can carry goods and appears in the coat of arms of Kuwait, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates. Even Q8 (Kuwait Petrol) has dhows in its symbol. The most expensive hotel in the world, in Dubai, is built in a dhow design. Now, the clue, is it possible that The Queen ever baptised a ship of this kind in those countries, or visited the hotel, or opened a Petrol Terminal in those countries, as she did this year earlier in Milford Haven? And that the brooch was given on such an occasion?

The Arab Dhow brooch was made by Garrard and was a gift in 1979 from the Amir of Bahrain. Designed as an Arab dhow ship in gold, with baguette diamonds and rubies for the sea (I wonder if that is a visual pun for the Red Sea...? :winkiss:)

ah, ok, I did not know that there was any provenance known about this brooch. Thank you very much by the way.

Her Majesty really wore some signifigant pins on her recent state visit overseas. Thanks to all of you who posted pictures and provided us with interesting information about each one. The Queen has such an amazing collection, IMO.

Could anyone help to find out when the Arab Dhow was worn with a green outfit?

Could anyone help to find out when the Arab Dhow was worn with a green outfit?

27 July 2007, in Somerset UK. It was one of the rare occasions when HM wore a different brooch on the dress beneath the coat. The coat had the Dhow and the dress (white with red floral sprays) had Victoria's Bow.

Having watched over 15.000 pictures since the weekend, I am now 'bored' of brooches. But one question: The Queen possesses a sapphire chrysanthemum brooch, worn e.g. at Broadlands for the 60th wedding anniversary portrait, and she possesses a 'blue centred daisy'. Can anyone tell me the difference because I can not see a difference. Or could it be the brooch worn for audiences on 22/10/2009?

Having watched over 15.000 pictures since the weekend, I am now 'bored' of brooches. But one question: The Queen possesses a sapphire chrysanthemum brooch, worn e.g. at Broadlands for the 60th wedding anniversary portrait, and she possesses a 'blue centred daisy'. Can anyone tell me the difference because I can not see a difference. Or could it be the brooch worn for audiences on 22/10/2009?

They are just alternate descriptions of the same piece....The books call it a chrysanthemum but for me its a Daisy....just personal choice once again...

Now that 2009 is fastly approaching its end. I am finalising the database for this year, it is my first year that I am doing that and I have found some results for this year, which (after studying all the previous pages) is not surprising at all.
Favourites this year were as follows:
1* Bow brooch (11)
2* Cullinan V (11)
3* Diamond shell (8) a big surprise that this brooch has come so far to be in the top3
4* Gold Dahlia (7)
5* Jardine Star (6)
6* Trefoil brooch (6)
7* City of London brooch (4)
8* Duchess of Cambridge pearl pendant brooch (4)
9* Paisley (another surprise) (4)
10* Flower basket (4)
11* Kent amethyst (4)

I am conscious that this is not right about how many times we have seen HM The Queen wearing them, because we are not always privileged to see what see wears as brooch. But I think it comes near the top 10.

I really thought the Albert sapphire was one of her favourites as well, but to my knowledge she has not worn the brooch this year.

2009 will be remembered for brooches which were unseen for a long time, or seen for the first time: the yellow-centre blossom brooch (3 times this year: Ireland, Ascot and Ceremonial welcome for Indian president), the Ladies of India emerald brooch (1), and what I found surprising as well was that the bow brooches were not seen that much this year, like the Dorset bow (only 3x), the Kensington bow (2x) and those brooches are most-familiar to The Queen IMO, because I know those brooches on her from when I was very young.

I hope you have loved my counting here, I am sure I am not the best here, but I dedicate my work and passion for the jewels of The Queen to you all, visiting these pages and working so hard to the database on your own. You are all fabulous. This sounds a bit like the end of a Christmas Day broadcast. :)

I wish you all very nice festive days, a merry Christmas and all the best for the coming year. Enjoy the coming days!

Thank you for such a nice break down of HM brooches. You have worked hard and all of us who Love HM brooches thank you, and hope you will continue your passion!!

Wow, what a great inventory, Thank you so much for this information.

Thanks for the compliments, but as I said, I am very humble in this and would like to thank others here as well, who try to start or end their day by gazing to the Queen's outfits and spot a brooch. One great 'damn' moment was when The Queen launched the Baton Relay from the Forecourt in the presence of the Indian President, when disappointingly no brooch was worn. :) I really hope we can discuss a lot more here on the Forums and try and keep in good touch with each other.

Well done QueenElizabeth on your record keeping for your first year.
I don't have quite the same statistics, however. My own record of the top 11 places for 2009 is as follows:

Victoria's Bow ........ 12
Cullinan V .........11
Shell .......... 9
Gold Dahlia .......... 7
Jardine star .......... 6
Trefoil .......... 6
Kent amethyst .......... 5
Cambridge Pearl with drop .......... 4
Paisley in diamonds.......... 4
Flower Basket.......... 4
Australian hibiscus, ruby centre.......... 3

I expect we will all be here picking over the details again next year - I do hope we have some nice surprises in 2010 - maybe some of those missing from 2009 will resurface or perhaps some lovely unseen treasure will appear..here's hoping!

Travelling to Norfolk today HM wore the posy of red flowers brooch (I believe it was a gift from Prince Philip, but not sure now where I read that) Not been worn very often - last time was Cheltenham Races in March 2009.

Thank you for the compliment. I am busy working on taking 'older' photographs from the net to have the database enlarged. e.g. a photograph from a visit to St George's School to mark St George's Day years and years ago, worn in Nottingham as well in the 1940s, GillW, your home, with the cabachon sapphires, a ruby, ... but that one is seldom seen and for that reason I really need to go back to 'older' pictures.

As the brooch today, I don't like that one. I met HM in Belgium in July 2007 wearing the Cullinan V. The brooch is extremely beautiful and sparkling, but can you imagine that I did not notice it until afterwards. The Queen's face and appearance is even better. I saw her again from close distance at Ascot wearing the yellow-centred blossom brooch on 16 June and that time I was more 'focused' on the brooch. Next year, I already asked to attend Royal Ascot as a Royal Enclosure badge holder for two days: day 1 and 2. Hopefully we will have a surprise then, and I am ready to provide the best pictures then.

:previous:
How wonderful - I hope you get a really good view!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am particularly looking forward to next year in June when I will see The Queen about 5 times in a week: on Thursday 10 June for Beating Retreat at Horse Guards, Saturday 12 June for Trooping the Colour, Monday 14 June for the Garter Day Service and on Tuesday 15 and Wednesday 16 June for Royal Ascot.

But another question: apart from the Kokoshnik and the necklace The Queen Mother wore so frequently, what is the Queen Alexandra heritage in the present Queen's jewellery box, which is worn regularly?

I just spotted a preview photo of the Queen's Christmas day broadcast and it shows her wearing her mothers hexagonal brooch set with large pearls and a pearl drop, so that's another first for us to enjoy this year!

Not that I'm complaining....but does anybody else wish that maybe her jewlery collection were a little bit smaller so a definative inventory could be made by spectators such as us? Just a thought......

Not that I'm complaining....but does anybody else wish that maybe her jewlery collection were a little bit smaller so a definative inventory could be made by spectators such as us? Just a thought......

No, no, no, NO!! The more the merrier - I adore the challenge of trying to keep track! I'd hate to think that there were no new brooches for me to spot and catalogue! Keep 'em coming - Please!!:lol::whistling:

The Christmas Brooch is truly beautiful....I just love the pearls. Agree with GillW, the more the merrier when it comes to jewelry!!!

I think HM secretly likes the fact no one other than her truly knows what is her treasure trove of jewels. God only really knows what is stored in the vaults that really comprises her jewel collection.... We seem to see, a select tract, of them, but she always manages to pull out some we have: never seen, or have not seen in years.

O no I love that the Queen keeps so much of her jewelry secret. It leaves me wanting to see more and makes for nice suprises. Plus, I love the image of cardboard boxes filled with jewels stuffed down in the vaults of Buckingham Palace. O what I would do to spend a day in those vaults....

:previous:
Here's a screen shot from the video in this link

--> Christmas 2009 - brooch
This brooch is actually part of The Crown Jewellery, left to The Crown by Queen Vicoria.

Upon looking at the list of Crown Jewellery, a few pieces start me thinking.

1. The Indian pearls, 4 strand with ruby snap.
Has this been identified?
2. Oval brooch with diamond border.
Has this brooch been seen?

A Christmas present to us julies, from Her Majesty.

Last edited by a moderator:
O ...I love the image of cardboard boxes filled with jewels stuffed down in the vaults of Buckingham Palace.
Cardboard boxes?!!! Surely you mean velvet-covered and embossed presentation cases in immaculate condition? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom