Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 2: Nov 2009-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is why would the Queen give the Pope whiskey? Just seems like an odd gift to give him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

My question is why would the Queen give the Pope whiskey? Just seems like an odd gift to give him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

probably being discussed on another thread, but she didnt just give him whisky - she gave him a hamper of local produce/some from her own farms and it included whisky, beer and vension

Maybe she simply likes how the sapphire color "reads" on a lilac background. Purple on purple reads very differently than it does on white or pink, etc. Perhaps she simply likes how the color pops. She has done this before.

Well, I have to say that the brooch is eye-popping in its own merit and is absolutely a massive beautiful piece.

It is a real stunner. It amazes me how at almost 88 years of age The Queen can just pull amazing jewellery out of her vault that still surprises us. One wonders what else is lurking there.

Wonderful article in HerMajesty's Jewel Vault on the piece, Russian Sapphire Cluster brooch. Part of the Russian Jewels Queen Mary purchased from the children of Empress Alexandrovna, who was a Danish princess and sister to Queen Alexandra There is a companion piece to this one, even larger that was recently sold at auction.From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault

Thank you, Frelinghighness, for the link. That is a gem of a website (pardon the pun!).

That's a great website, Frelinghighness, and thanks for sharing it. Such impressive provenance on that brooch.

From the IT live blog: "She is wearing an orchid brooch on her coat, a gift from Mappin Webb and Waterford for the 60th anniversary of coronation. The flowers are hand cut Waterford crystal, the brooch contains 66 diamonds and rose gold stamens."
see: LIVE: State Visit | The Irish Times

And here is a nice close up of the brooch. Wowsers - that took some skill!
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+First+State+Visit+Irish+Kpgztei-jM2l.jpg

Oh - and for those like me that had no idea, Mappin and Webb is a Jeweler. ;)

Last edited:
It's a very pretty and unusual piece - I hope we see it worn often.

New Brooch alert!
HM in Chelmsford today (06 May 2014).
I don't recognise this one - any ideas at all? Something I've missed...?

Attachments

• Chelmsford - 06 May 2014 - zimbio 6081542 - cropped.jpg
    Chelmsford - 06 May 2014 - zimbio 6081542 - cropped.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
The Queen was painted wearing this brooch in a portrait commissioned by the Welsh Rugby Union.

Therefore, I would have to assume that the flowers are daffodils (a Welsh national emblem often seen on St. David's Day).

Perhaps the brooch was a Diamond Jubilee or 60th Coronation gift from the Welsh Rugby Union???

Hopefully we will find out more in the next few days.

Cheers!
Bryce

Attachments

• Brooch - Welsh Dafodills - QEII portrait.jpg
    Brooch - Welsh Dafodills - QEII portrait.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 938
Agree, its a horror.

I wonder who was more disappointed by the portrait- the Queen or those who commissioned it? It's really not a good likeness at all. :sad:

Generally, this style of portraiture does not appeal to me, but I like this one.

That portrait is hideous, and I'm being kind.

I paint, and all artist have a certain style. Unless the artist went in a completely different direction, the party that commissioned the portrait had some idea of what they were getting. I am not particularly fond of this portrait, it looks like a bad caricature.

What was the brooch the Queen wore at St Pancras? So many changes of outfits today and a different brooch each time :)

:previous: Thank you, I see it has been worn quite a few times, but it has passed me by. A very beautiful brooch.

Last edited:
Wow- all her brooches today have been wows.
What can you say? She's in France.
I'm never going to complain. They've all been stunning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom