The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe the new challenge can be to find odd "other shapes" in HM's brooches. Too funny and true - Medusa!

Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Can anyone identify the brooch Queen Elizabeth II wore for yesterday's visit to Leeds?
I had only seen it on one previous occasion - on July 9, 2012.
New brooch alert?

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

It looks like the red rose of Lancashire to me, which would be a bit odd to wear on a visit to Leeds which is in Yorkshire. Or maybe it's a red rose with a small white rose in the middle?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Courtier

...Which would be a Tudor rose, combining Lancaster and Yorkshire....
Old 07-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I wish we had better pictures of this brooch.
To be honest, I'm not even certain it's a rose (or roses) in the first place.
In some pictures the brooch has decidedly spidery design, while in the others, it does look like two roses - a white one (the lower part) and a red one (the upper part).
Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Can anyone identify the brooch Queen Elizabeth II wore for yesterday's visit to Leeds?
I'm intrigued - what & where was the occasion on 9th July 2012 please? Most unusual for HM to wear such an unusual brooch ontwo occasions so close together, so I'd love the details please.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:25 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
I'm intrigued - what & where was the occasion on 9th July 2012 please? Most unusual for HM to wear such an unusual brooch ontwo occasions so close together, so I'd love the details please.
The July 9 one was a private occasion - a church service on Sunday morning at Sandringham.
I've attached a (really bad) picture of the brooch, as worn on July 9, 2012.
Unfortunately, the image is blurry, but the overall design and details leave me in no doubt it's the same brooch.

Attached Images

Old 07-20-2012, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

To me, it's a dead-ringer for a Lancashire / Tudor rose, certainly the top part of it is. The bottom half, I have no idea about.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Super - thank you Artemisia! That is now even more intriguing!!

I wonder if there was a guest at the Church or staying at Sandringham, who had something to do with the gift of this brooch? I suppose we may never know...
Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

You are welcome, GillW.

@ EIIR - I think you and GillW are right; it does look like a Tudor rose - a combination of a white and red roses.
I've cropped a slightly better picture of the brooch where the flowers in the middle are reasonably visible. The bottom part is still a mystery.

If and until we have more information on this brooch, I christen it The Tudor Rose.
Her Majesty appears to like it quite a bit, to wear it on two different occasions within days of each other, so we'll probably see more of this brooch.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tudor Rose.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	286100  
Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I was going to say that's a dainty little brooch, but then I saw the full-scale photo of HM wearing it. That's quite a substantial one and reminds me of the badges that were worn to represent the royal houses in medieval times.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
I wonder if there was a guest at the Church or staying at Sandringham, who had something to do with the gift of this brooch? I suppose we may never know...
Could be.
Or it could be one of the presents the Queen received for her Jubilee year.
I wish we got more information about these pieces, but of course the Buckingham Palace is never going to release official information about most private presents.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wish BP would be a bit more open about this one too. I mean, it's obviously a representation of a heraldic emblem for England and worn by the Queen for a specific reason, surely they could at least give us some info on it, even if they don't tell us who gave it to HM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Courtier

they wouldn't reply to a request for information if sent to website or facebook?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

They'd probably go for a generic "The Palace does not disclose information about private gifts" type of response.
Still, worth a try. So, who volunteers?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Serene Highness

I haven't got a clue, I can say I'm pretty sure I've never seen this one before.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

For the IOC reception, the Queen wore one of my favourite brooches - Prince Albert's sapphire brooch.
Now, I'm mad about sapphires (and emeralds), so I would have loved this one almost by default; however, the simplicity and beauty of the design make it one of my all-time favourites. Prince Albert definitely had a great taste jewellery-wise.

You can see a really big picture of the brooch here (thanks to Royal Collection for kindly providing the bigger version).
If you want to, you can read bout the history of the brooch here.

Image provided by the Royal Collection with permission to share.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	286149  
Old 07-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Just exquisite; I can't say enough about the simple beauty of this brooch with that gorgeous sapphire and substantial diamonds.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
Just exquisite; I can't say enough about the simple beauty of this brooch with that gorgeous sapphire and substantial diamonds.
You have stated it brilliantly. I love the simplicity of this brooch. That concept makes it even more exquisite in my eyes. I would have loved to see this on a gown that was of solid white, light blue, silver or beige. The flowers make it a little difficult to spot it.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

She may not attend events - but I don't think it would be beyond her to wear the hibiscus or wattle brooches on the same day as some swimming events, for example. In any case, it will make it give another reason to watch what she chooses.

Tags
queen elizabeth ii brooches, queen elizabeth ii jewellery