The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Re pics in #777 courtesy of Artemesia. I didn't like the brooch when picturd on the Queen but it looks beautiful in the other picture. I assume that its perspective that makes the difference. Truly amazing diamonds. I prefer it without the dangles but am assuming that the 2 matching pearls could be transformed into earrings - does anyone know if that's possible?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Courtier

It appears HM has been having fun in her jewelry vaults getting ready for the The Diamond Queen exhibition at BP this summer. In the process she has turned up some infrequently worn gems. Our benefit.

This is lovely and definitley looks like a Queen Mary special.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Heir Apparent

True, a mini-me stomacher!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Just imagine: a gorgeous evening gown (for state occasion, no less),a magnificent tiara and that beauty on the gown (in the middle or on shoulder) ... Heaven!
QE II:
"Been there, done that."

http://s13.postimage.org/x1cyp0gnb/e736.jpg
Old 06-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Great picture (and love the caption ).
I meant Camilla and/or Kate wearing it; the brooch would lovely on a more modern-style gown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Re pics in #777 courtesy of Artemesia. I didn't like the brooch when picturd on the Queen but it looks beautiful in the other picture. I assume that its perspective that makes the difference. Truly amazing diamonds. I prefer it without the dangles but am assuming that the 2 matching pearls could be transformed into earrings - does anyone know if that's possible?
Given that the drops are removable, they could be transformed into earrings - but to my knowledge, it hasn't been done so far.
Here are two pictures of Her Majesty wearing the "full" version of the brooch:
- The Queen at the State Dinner for the US President
- An older picture of the Queen
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I believe the queen is out of uniform.... where is her trusty 3 strand pearl necklace?

always nice to see HM enjoying her baubles.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Great ID of the Teck Corsage brooch Artemisia! I looked at the Teck brooch in pics - and thought it was not a match - but it is. I think it looks so much more beautiful other than straight on - the dimensionality of the piece is wonderful. Square on it looks flat - but from any angle it is quite a scots mountain!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

For Day 4 of the Royal Ascot, the Queen wore the Amethyst Bouquet Brooch.

The brooch consists of 7 amethyst buds, white and yellow ferns and grasses, as well as 12 freshwater pearls from the River Tay. The brooch was given to Her Majesty in 1960, after she opened the Queen's Bridge in Scotland. Since then, it has become one of her favourites and she's worn it on numerous occasions, mainly with purple outfits.

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Aristocracy

I've always wondered where the pearls are on this brooch - I can never see them !
Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldmemail View Post
I've always wondered where the pearls are on this brooch - I can never see them !
The pearls are quite tiny - not at all like the usual statement pieces worn by Her Majesty.
I've attached a picture of the brooch with the 12 pearls in a red circle; they surround two of the smaller amethysts.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Very lovely; purple amethysts are my weakness along with pearls.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have decided the Cullinan Brooch is my total favourite ... it's just sooo gorgeous I can't stand it and the Queen does have some stunners but that is the one I love. Thanks for posting such great photos of them all I love looking at them all.
The Queen wears brooches more stylishly than anyone IMO she makes me want to break out and brooch up.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Courtier

A discussion on the other board has some compelling evidence to show this is probably not the Tay Bridge brooch and having read it I'm inclined to agree, although I had always thought it was - until now!:
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Ascot day 4
Old 06-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I have to disagree; to me, this does look like the Amethyst Bouquet (Tay Bridge) brooch.
The so-called diamonds are definitely pears, as you can see in the picture I've attached; they are just very small and their positioning reminds diamonds - but that's it. The number of amethysts matches as well. The description of the brooch itself could have been better, but overall I think there is enough evidence to identify this brooch as the Tay Bridge one.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

For Day 5 of Royal Ascot, the Queen wore the Rhodesian Flame Lily Brooch.
Now, the brooch is gorgeous and I love it, but I was hoping for a more rarely seen piece, perhaps The Williamson, Cullinan V, Cullinan VI and VIII, one of Queen Mary's Emerald and Diamond brooches, one of Queen Victoria's bow brooches, Kensington Bow Brooch, or The Emerald and Diamond Hexagon Brooch - in short, something more.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	285823   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	285824  
Old 06-23-2012, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Cullinan V, far from being "rarely seen" is usually one of the top 5 most frequently worn of HMs brooches, and the bow brooches are pretty frequent too. HM wore one last week in Nottingham so that may not re-appear for a week or two.
(My photo so I can post it here without copyright problems)
Old 06-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Thanks for the picture, GillW.
You stood really close to Her Majesty.

I meant rarely-seen this year; I don't think we have seen those brooches all that often (if at all) this year so far.
The Amethyst Brooch, on the other hand, has been worn on at least 4 different occasions (that I remember).

Speaking of rarely seen brooches, do you have any idea when was the last time this brooch made an appearance? I call it Emerald and Diamond Hexagon Brooch, although I believe it's also known as Garrards Emerald and Diamond Brooch.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

That's a nice photo GillW,thank you for sharing this!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
For Day 5 of Royal Ascot, the Queen wore the Rhodesian Flame Lily Brooch.
I agree; I'd have loved to have seen the Williamson worn; HM's worn the Flame Lily one quite frequently, it seems.

And that is a lovely shot of the Queen, GillW, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Speaking of rarely seen brooches, do you have any idea when was the last time this brooch made an appearance? I call it Emerald and Diamond Hexagon Brooch, although I believe it's also known as Garrards Emerald and Diamond Brooch.
The last date I have for the Delhi Emerald is 1st December 2010. I'm afraid I've got a bit behind with my data so I can't say when the most recent wearing of Cullian V was.

Oh yes, and although I was reasonably close, a zoom lens is a wonderful thing! I'd guess we were about 50 yards away.

Tags
queen elizabeth ii brooches, queen elizabeth ii jewellery