The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Heir Apparent

That is a lovely photo, GillW, thank you for sharing it with us. That must have been an exciting time for you. And I just love the bow brooches; such an elegant and romantic design from a bygone age.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Unfortunately, I don't belong to Facebook and I don't plan to. I will miss seeing more of your wonderful photos that you took. :(
This is where the link should take you:
The Queen and Kate Middleton pictured laughing together as 35,000 people gather in patriotic show | Mail Online

Old 06-13-2012, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Thanks for sharing the picture with us, GillW.
It must have been quite thrilling to be that close to the Queen; I think even waiting in the cold was well worth it.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you so much once again dear Gill. Wonderful pics of one beautiful Queen. Of course, Catherine and William look nice, as well.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice article and video, GillW; thank you again. I liked Kate's curtsey and kiss on the cheek for the Queen. HM looked fantastic as usual.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
All of those pictures are fantastic. Say what you will about high maintenance models and celebrities but when HM smiles, she lights up the world around her. Perhaps that's why the diamonds in her brooches twinkle so much.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

During the Tour of East Midlands today, Queen Elizabeth wore one of the Kent Amethyst brooches.
Kent Amethyst Brooches (there are 3 of them) belong to the Kent demi-parure. This particular brooch consists of a hexagonal-cut amethyst surrounded by diamond sun-rays. It can be worn on its own (as the Queen did today), or with three smaller amethyst hanging pendants (as in here).

A bit of history.
The Kent Amethyst demi-parure is named so after Princess Victoria of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, The Duchess of Kent and Strathearn - Queen Victoria's mother. She appeared to have particular fondness for the stone and had many jewels incorporating them, including the Kent demi-parure. Upon her death Queen Victoria inherited only a few of her jewels (most were distributed among her other children, with the reasoning that the Queen of the United Kingdom had no want or need for additional pieces); among them was a demi-parure of amethysts and diamonds, best known as The Kent Amethysts.
The parure consists of a necklace, three brooches, earrings, and two hair combs. Different elements of the set have been worn by all subsequent Queens (Victoria, Mary, Alexandra, Elizabeth, and Elizabeth II), as well as other royals ladies (for instance, the Queen Mother used to wear one of the brooches from the parure whilst still being a "mere" Duchess of York). The current Queen often wears one of the brooches (today's one); mostly, she wears it on its own, although she has also worn the brooch with the the smaller amethyst pendants attached quite often. The other brooches are rarely seen and it has been speculated that at least one of them is no longer in the Queen's possession. The necklace is worn extremely rarely as well, but at least we know it's still in the "family"; Queen Elizabeth wore it during the State Visit to Portugal in 1984, along with other elements of the amethyst parure.

The first attached picture is of the Kent Amethyst brooch worn on its own.
The the third one is of the brooch with three amethyst hanging pendants. Unfortunately, I have no better pictures at the moment.

Cropped from much larger images and constitute less than 20% of the original
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	285622   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	285623  
Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Courtier

I thought HM looked even prettier today - wish I could have seen the Kent amethyst...
Old 06-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: The Ascot Brooch Stakes

Such stunning jewels! I especially love the Williamson, Victoria's Bows, the Flame Lily, and the Cullinan V brooch.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Her Majesty is truly the Queen of brooches!

For today's reception at Buckingham Palace, Her Majesty wore The Hibiscus Brooch - a gift from the people of Australia to the Queen Mother.
She has worn this brooch quite often, including back in April (when the Queen and Prince Philip inspected Gloriana).

EDIT - We've now correctly identified the brooch as the so-called Irish Blossom Brooch, and not the Hibiscus one.
The brooch has been worn only on handful of occasions - during a trip to Northern Ireland in 2009 (hence the name), to Ascot in the same year, and to a Buckingham Palace reception, again in late 2009.
Thanks to GillW for correctly identifying it, and for the information!

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.
The first picture is of the Hibiscus Brooch, while the second is Irish Blossom Brooch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	285632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Irish Blossom Brooch.png
Views:	50
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	285645  
Old 06-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Now that is a beautiful flower brooch set with some of my favorites stones.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Courtier

Have you got a link for that reception, because the "Cook for the Queen" reception she wore the Irish Blossom brooch. I've not seen pictures of this Hibiscus one in the last few days?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Here is the picture of the Queen wearing the Hibiscus brooch on April 25, 2012, when she visited the Gloriana with Prince Philip. The attached picture of the Hibiscus brooch in my previous post is from one of the pictures taken on that day.

Here is the picture from today's reception. To me, it looks like she's wearing the Hibiscus brooch again. Could you post a picture of the Irish Blossom brooch for comparison (and because I don't have a good quality one)?
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Her Majesty wore The Hibiscus Brooch - a gift from the people of Australia to the Queen Mother.
That is a beautiful brooch. Is it made entirely of diamonds?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Courtier

You can click on the photo at this link and zoom in for a better view of it:

Queen Elizabeth II Photos - "Cook for The Queen" Competition Reception At Buckingham Palace - Zimbio

Or this one which is from another angle:

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Queen+E...am/DNqYYh_XYCR

And here it is being worn at Ascot

Hope that helps.
Also, I think it would be most unusual for HM to wear a brooch featuring rubies on that blue & green outfit. Not impossible, of course but not her style, which usually involves matching the stones or wearing neutral ones such as all-diamonds, or diamonds & pearls, or gold of course.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalgertjan View Post
The cullinan brooch is gorgeous!
I can not believe it! The only picture I have seen is of the queen wearing this is from the 60’s she is dressed in yellow and with a corgi. Dose that mean some 40 years in between outing for this jewel?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldorlord View Post
I can not believe it! The only picture I have seen is of the queen wearing this is from the 60’s she is dressed in yellow and with a corgi. Dose that mean some 40 years in between outing for this jewel?
I may be wrong but the latest date prior to this that I have for them being worn was to a dinner in Belgium in 1966. I'll be happy if anyone can correct me as I'd love to find more events where theses stones have been worn ... ;-)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Nobility

I find myself stumped on which brooch the Queen is wearing for the first day of Royal Ascot.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Gentry

Aquamarine and diamond brooch

The brooch was presented to The Queen by the Brazilian Government in 1958 as a matching addition to the original Coronation gift of 1953 - the Aquamarine brooch>>

Source:Royal Collection
Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Courtier

I wonder if this will be a theme for the week.... Coronation gifts.

Tags
queen elizabeth ii brooches, queen elizabeth ii jewellery