The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Jewels

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmarch View Post
The Cullinans are truly amazing! But can someone please share the story of the Jardine star brooch Who was Lady Jardine? "The Queen's Diamonds" is not available in the states yet. Thanks!
You can read the scarce information available about the Jardine Star Brooch here.

Lady Jardine was a Scottish aristocrat, a member of the old Clan Jardine of Scotland. She was most probably the wife of the Chief of the Clan.
There doesn't appear to be any other information on her, or reference to her friendship with the Queen. It is possible she just left a piece of jewellery to the Monarch and was not necessarily necessarily an acquaintance of her. I guess it's similar to Dame Margaret Grenville leaving all her jewels to the Queen Mother (it has to be said that although Mrs Grenville had been a close friend of Queen Mary).

Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Wonderful that the Queen wore the Cullinan III brooch today- it makes the grand statement- as if there was any doubt- I am your Queen!

Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Im so glad she wore the Cullinan III brooch! It's magnificent!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
You can read the scarce information about the Jardine Star Brooch here.
Lady Jardine was a Scottish aristocrat, a member of the old Clan Jardine of Scotland. She was most probably the wife of the Chief of the Clan.

There doesn't appear to be any other information on her, or reference to her friendship with the Queen. It is possible she just left a piece of jewellery to the Monarch and was not necessarily necessarily an acquaintance of her. I guess it's similar to Dame Margaret Grenville leaving all her jewels to the Queen Mother (it has to be said that although Mrs Grenville had been a close friend of Queen Mary).
Thanks so much for your response!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
Wonderful that the Queen wore the Cullinan III brooch today- it makes the grand statement- as if there was any doubt- I am your Queen!
I had read about the brooch but never saw the Queen wearing it until yesterday. Oh my goodness that thing is huge. The historical photographs just don't give you an idea, probably because the royal ladies wearing it are so layden with other jewels in those pictures.
It is amazing....doesn't even look real!
Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

QE2 wearing sapphire and amethyst brooch today

http://i49.tinypic.com/34fxhz6.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/v83pt0.jpg
Old 06-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Does somebody know what this brooch is? I don't remember seeing it before.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I had read about the brooch but never saw the Queen wearing it until yesterday. Oh my goodness that thing is huge. The historical photographs just don't give you an idea, probably because the royal ladies wearing it are so layden with other jewels in those pictures.
It is amazing....doesn't even look real!
Have a look at this picture of Queen Mary wearing Cullinans - not just III and IV, mind you. Granny's chips (on her neck, right below the necklaces) may be quite huge, but they are dwarfed by I and II (worn as brooches on the sash).
Old 06-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by udyusa View Post
Does somebody know what this brooch is? I don't remember seeing it before.
I'm not sure but that could to be Cartier Floral Spray Brooch.
A slightly better picture.

Cropped from larger image and constitutes less than 20% of the original.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

That's really pretty, but for me nothing surpasses the Kent amethyst brooch. It's absolutely magnificent with that sunray diamond pattern and the deep color of that stone.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
That's really pretty, but for me nothing surpasses the Kent amethyst brooch. It's absolutely magnificent with that sunray diamond pattern and the deep color of that stone.
I love that brooch.
The other Kent brooch (she's got three of them) - part of the Kent Demi-Parure - is gorgeous too.
The Queen is seen wearing some of the parure in this picture, although it doesn't really do the jewels any justice.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

That's a beauty, too, and must be stunning in closeup. I have such a weakness for amethysts and sapphires.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you, Artemisia, for answering my question. It is not on my list of favorites, but I have to agree with Baroness re the Kent amethyst brooch. Now that one is a stunner!!
Old 06-07-2012, 11:25 AM
Aristocracy

The cullinan brooch is gorgeous!

here is a side view:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...nta9j/x900.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...Aq7XM/900x.jpg

my website: www.hw-photoall.nl
Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

For me, Her Majesty wearing this particular brooch is a dream come true; I'm a jewelaholic (a made up term, but one that described my addition pretty well).
Here is a very clear picture of the brooch, the best I have to this date.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm with you, Artemisia! A jewelaholic... Perfect description and my most favorite of all stones is the diamond. This brooch is just beyond description and it takes my breath away seeing it worn on HM...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:19 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
That brooch is beautiful too. You never see her with her hand over the brooch checking to make sure it's still there....but that's what I would be doing. Would like to see the clasp on the back of these priceless jewels.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Courtier

Quote:
That brooch is beautiful too. You never see her with her hand over the brooch checking to make sure it's still there....but that's what I would be doing. Would like to see the clasp on the back of these priceless jewels.
The clasps seem quite ordinary of you look in books like the new one on the Queen's Diamonds where they show some of the backs. Obviously they are well maintained to make sure the fastenings are in top condition. I've never heard of any problem with a brooch, nor seen anything to indicate one either.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Can you imagine? I am always reaching when I wear a brooch to make sure its there. Of course I don't have someone always checking the clasp to make sure they are perfect. I would take that job....of course I would have to lock the door so I could try them on for a bit!!
Old 06-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubies View Post
Can you imagine? I am always reaching when I wear a brooch to make sure its there. Of course I don't have someone always checking the clasp to make sure they are perfect. I would take that job....of course I would have to lock the door so I could try them on for a bit!!
I'll come along & help ;-) .....

Tags
queen elizabeth ii brooches, queen elizabeth ii jewellery